Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel the same way, my dates say Nov-Jan and although I probably won't be towards the front because I dont have an S and wasn't at the front of the line on pre-order day, if for some reason I did get mine right away I would be like a live Q&A for a week for everyone for features, pictures, videos etc lol.
Yeah I'll do a Q&A too if I get it fairly early. I won't do live though cause I want to get as many questions as possible, and not everyone is in the same timezone as me.

Reactions: Gtosnipey
Yeah I'll do a Q&A too if I get it fairly early. I won't do live though cause I want to get as many questions as possible, and not everyone is in the same timezone as me.
Yeah hopefully we have at least 1 or 2 helpful people on here who feel the same way that is in that early boat that can at least finally put to rest some of these simple questions we have about door handles, opening the car doors, bluetooth range, etc.

I don't get why they would put two door releases in the same place. I *do* get that putting in a mechanical release alternative is good, but wouldn't it make sense to put it out of sight for aesthetics?
They're pretty much tucked out of the way in the armrest and door handle. You have to look straight down as in the photo posted above (or driver's side in photo below) to really notice them... not so much when viewed obliquely (passenger's side in photo below).

WzmOOakNyUrzHSJkcSJFFtY45Dz9MJU8HZMDVY3Imj3HcnYdAyMk5a5Cors4SW4DRjxjCWVG2vMnudhHq_BoXiMjSuPwaNXtev93YOMvPPHh3oDLuq2pZTA5O1nj2h-Y9dGoV4ASCVc=w920-h518-no

I just worry that we have how many production models out in the wild, a Google Photos gallery of 1200+ photos and still we are "guessing" at how does the car open using the same 1 picture we have had forever. I guess we have to wait for non-employees to get models for someone to actually post a youtube video etc. It is still weird for me not to know how to open the car I pre-ordered and am 2-3 months away from getting.
Kinda makes it dangerous from a safety standpoint if you can't find it in an emergency.
Not as good as an actual demo of the two door release mechanisms in action, but at around 19:30 of this video, the Tesla driver explains that there are two ways to open the door: a pushbutton on the handle and a pull lever. So we know both of them are easily accessible within arm's reach (i.e., no need to open some hidden cover to get to the manual release).

Last edited:
The comment regarding the voltage was specifically:
Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla Motors, Inc.

It's not really a wiring harness, it's basically a flex harness with a high data rate bus, so you can put everything on a higher data rate bus that isn't a CAN bus where your data rate is massively constrained. And we'll also make changes to the vestigial voltage so not everything's 12 volts, which is a pretty absurd number, really it's wrong for everything.

Last edited:
The comment regarding the voltage was specifically:
Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla Motors, Inc.

It's not really a wiring harness, it's basically a flex harness with a high DataRay bus, so you can put everything on a higher DataRay bus that isn't a CAN bus where your DataRay is massively constrained. And we'll also make changes to the vestigial voltage so not everything's 12 volts, which is a pretty absurd number, really it's wrong for everything.
I remember reading that transcript and the apparent error in transcription. The reference to "DataRay" is most likely "data rate". :)

I still trying to wrap my head around the WHY of having an electronic opening alongside mechanical, especially if their goal was to save money/make it cheaper?

I'm wondering if the electronic button is for automated opening of the door? I recall seeing a video sometime near reveal day where they were commenting on the doors actually self opening from the inside.

Video of Tesla Model 3 production car at Fremont factory