Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior temp at least 10 degrees hotter than exterior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice this? My cars interior is always at least 10 degrees (F) warmer than the exterior. Even at night, parked outside, not charging, it runs +10 degrees vs the exterior temp. I have a ervices appointment scheduled for a few other things so I will bring this up, as well. Teslafi data supports this and I've placed a separate thermometer in the car to verify readings. Basically everything is off so no reason the car should be heating up. I'm now running 2019.40.2.1 and did reboots, etc. Nothing has changed. Thanks for you help!

2018 X P100D

Is this the case first thing in the morning? In general, the car is going to retain heat from the day and the cabin will remain warmer (in any car) in the evening. The evening temperature also generally is dropping, and the car is a bubble that won't drop as quickly, which will give you a higher temperature reading. Basically, like a home, it will lag the outside temperature. Now, if just prior to sunrise the interior is significantly different from the outside temperature, you may be getting heat from something. But I think it's just physics.

It's literally always 10 or more degrees warmer. It obviously goes up more when the sun is out. I had a friend pull the data for his model 3 and the exterior and interior temps converge at night.

Check your interior temp in the morning and compare it to the local temp.

I had the car serviced last week but I haven't gotten the service report yet. The tech said there was a pretty lengthy explaination in it. I'll post when I get it.
I would very much like to hear what the report said.

I have also noticed, via Teslafi, the inside temp being about 10 F higher than the outside temp while the X is in the garage. And the model 3 sitting in the garage right next to it reports same interior/exterior temp.

I have asked at a SC appointment about the descrepency, and all I was told was there are a lot of temperature measurements being taken throughout the system, and that a diagnostic test showed nothing amiss.

This was the response from the car going into service (had a few other issues that were addressed at the time, as well)

Performed initial diagnosis and troubleshooting of vehicle per customer concern of car is 10* warmer on the interior vs outside temperate. Vehicle seems to be running constantly overnight and not resting. Losing about 10 miles of range over night as well. Per diagnosis, analyzed vehicle's log data. Log data indicated vehicle's thermal management system is consuming additional power to keep the high voltage battery pack above 59 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal performance. Note that the vehicle's smart management system is designed to initiate the battery coolant heater and auxiliary coolant
pumps to warm up the battery pack when it is cold. Additionally, log data indicated Sentry Mode is active over night and consuming additional energy due to the Autopilot computer being on. Please note that it is not uncommon for the interior of the vehicle to be warmer when comparing it to the ambient temperature due to the fact that radiating heat from the car
computer and the thermal system makes its way into the cabin through the HVAC vents. In addition, performed high voltage battery health check and idle energy loss check and found no issues. At this time high voltage system is working without fault. No repairs performed, no further action is needed or recommended.

Anyone else notice this? My cars interior is always at least 10 degrees (F) warmer than the exterior. Even at night, parked outside, not charging, it runs +10 degrees vs the exterior temp. I have a ervices appointment scheduled for a few other things so I will bring this up, as well. Teslafi data supports this and I've placed a separate thermometer in the car to verify readings. Basically everything is off so no reason the car should be heating up. I'm now running 2019.40.2.1 and did reboots, etc. Nothing has changed. Thanks for you help!

2018 X P100D
I am experiencing the same with my 2018 X 100D, ext temp 74, int temp 84. Model 3 parked in the same garage, ext 74, int temp 79. Weird!

I also have a 3 and X parked indoors next to each other. The X feels much hotter inside when getting in, about 15 degrees over the garage temp. I think part of it has to do with the fan speed getting reset down to 1 every night.

They have both been asleep all day. The X has cream seats and headliner not displayed in the app snapshot.

Attachments

• 44ED7FBE-0B4B-4465-85B4-BCFD415F523F.png
    44ED7FBE-0B4B-4465-85B4-BCFD415F523F.png
    534.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 7FC51002-7E1E-44DE-97A3-F530C5387D0F.png
    7FC51002-7E1E-44DE-97A3-F530C5387D0F.png
    850.8 KB · Views: 92