Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior temperature history: looking at interior temperature as a function of time.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Tesla app on your phone one can look at the temperature of the interior of your car when it is parked somewhere. This is pretty straightforward and useful. What I am wondering is whether it is possible to look at the temperature over a period of time, for example, the previous 4 days, either in a tabular or graph format. It seems like that would be useful, e.g., if you are parked at an airport for a week and you are wondering if your car is getting warm, and maybe what time you might need to be vigilant about that. Is a graph of temperature vs time (or a table) something that is currently possible? If not, would it be difficult to create an app that could do that?

If I understand correctly, if you check the car and it's a sleeping, it won't return any information. You have to wake it up via API. I'm not too familiar with drain, but I do leave cabin overheat protection on. That is about 1 mile per hour when it is on. If you worry about high interior temperature, this feature should be useful for you? Here in Orange County last week, I parked outside from 0700 to 1800, and it (overheat protection) turned on maybe 3-6 hours during that time. Today the high is supposed to be 71 in about two hours. It's about 69 right now, car looks like it's still snoozing.

• Informative
Reactions: MaryAnning3
TeslaFi can log your interior temps, as well as plenty of other stuff. It does keep your car awake if it is actively logging, but you can set it to let the car sleep. No data while sleeping.

You could also try this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQNFJVL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used that to plot out my indoor temperature this summer and figure out that my A/C was underperforming.

Thanks. That thermometer looks pretty cool. And the thanks for the TeslaFi tip as well.

I am going to look into TeslaFi and its capabilities and implementation tomorrow. The more I think about it, the more I think that logging temperature once every houror so probably would not be a significant power drain, and that maybe it is no big deal to wake up the system 24 times a day. So in a week you would have about 200 data points and it would give you an idea of how good your parking situation is, how well your car cover is working, if you need to intervene with AC, etc.

Anyone else have experience with TeslaFi ?
Yes. Use it all the time, with reasonably aggressive sleep settings to minimize potential vampire drain. These issues have been discussed a few times

It appears you’re reasonably new, you may wish to use the search function and then ask specific questions if you can’t find the answers you’re after.

I’ve used many loggers, and written some. Now I’m down To just TeslaFi as it has the ability to reliably log and export to CSV files at a reasonable granularity.

@MikeBur ... I'm also very new and completely agree that the forums contain a wealth of info. I used to info on the REST API to write a logger as well (just to play). I through the resulting dataset into Excel... graph attached.

Some things I found interesting.... you can see how the interior temperature cycles during the recharge cycle. I find it interesting that once charge is complete, the temperature does not cycle but simply slowly cools over time. Since the cool off is much slower once charge is complete, I'm wondering if the charge cycle actually both warms and cools the interior.

Also... you can probably tell from the graph that I currently charge using just a standard wall outlet. Still working on a better solution.

Attachments

• Example Temp Graph.PNG
    Example Temp Graph.PNG
    53 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: MaryAnning3
Yes. Use it all the time, with reasonably aggressive sleep settings to minimize potential vampire drain. These issues have been discussed a few times

It appears you’re reasonably new, you may wish to use the search function and then ask specific questions if you can’t find the answers you’re after.

I’ve used many loggers, and written some. Now I’m down To just TeslaFi as it has the ability to reliably log and export to CSV files at a reasonable granularity.
Thanks Mike. I am going to study TEslaFi for while and then ask questions later.

@MikeBur ... I'm also very new and completely agree that the forums contain a wealth of info. I used to info on the REST API to write a logger as well (just to play). I through the resulting dataset into Excel... graph attached.

Some things I found interesting.... you can see how the interior temperature cycles during the recharge cycle. I find it interesting that once charge is complete, the temperature does not cycle but simply slowly cools over time. Since the cool off is much slower once charge is complete, I'm wondering if the charge cycle actually both warms and cools the interior.

Also... you can probably tell from the graph that I currently charge using just a standard wall outlet. Still working on a better solution.
Welcome to TMC and your first post @Ciriart! The graph you posted is interesting. I noted initial cabin changes too when charging. The correlation is high and likely not just temp changes due to outdoor conditions. I first noted this back in February, though can’t find the detailed post. My suspicion was this is normal, though a little surprising, given way heating occurs on model 3.

Just created this from a supercharging session at ~1 min granularity from back in Feb via TeslaFi table. Left column is charge rate and degF
upload_2018-11-26_7-48-8.png