Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Phantom Door Obstruction (driver's Side Door And Fwd)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone had this issue with their MX.

Two days ago I noticed that the driver's side door would open only 1 inch. Then I noticed while driving the obstruction signal would intermittent go on and off. Clearly there was nothing obstructing the door. The door is clean. This occurs with and without sunlight hitting the door. It's affecting the driver's door and the driver's side FWD.

Seems like a sensor is malfunctioning.

My Model X is 7 months old with 10,600 miles on it.

Thanks.

IMG_0230.jpg

This is "phantom obstruction". There's a giant thread still active about it. It is possible to get it fixed, though I haven't been successful. It hasn't seemed to be as common a problem as it used to be. The sensor on the side of the FWD is ultrasonic working through the metal door panel with no cutout. It controls both the FWD and front door opening. I have one that has always worked fine and one that has been replaced twice. It seems, from what service and others here have said, that the sensor can get hot and move a little off from where it should be. So Service needs to place it just right and get the right amount of sealant on it.

This is "phantom obstruction". There's a giant thread still active about it. It is possible to get it fixed, though I haven't been successful. It hasn't seemed to be as common a problem as it used to be. The sensor on the side of the FWD is ultrasonic working through the metal door panel with no cutout. It controls both the FWD and front door opening. I have one that has always worked fine and one that has been replaced twice. It seems, from what service and others here have said, that the sensor can get hot and move a little off from where it should be. So Service needs to place it just right and get the right amount of sealant on it.

All that for looks.

Tesla should just drill a hole and install the sensor like the ones on the fronts, sides, rear, and top. No more issue caused by car colors and temps.

I guess I should be happy that my car is Pearl White so does not have these issues, but this is a real Faberge Egg issue.

I had the same issue until this morning. Service Center opened it up and fixed it. Not sure if yours have the same issue/fix though. It took about 1 hour for diag and 1 hour for fix. Hope this helps.

Concern: Customer states driver side Falcon Wheel Door does not open from the inside and has a warning that an
obstacle is detected.
Removed interior trim and found the ultrasonic sensor bracket has detached from the door shell. Removed and replaced
both the ultrasonic bracket and sensor at this time and verified normal operation. No additional repairs required.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Sensor - Ultrasonic - Rear Door - LH
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
SENSOR, ULTRASONIC, RADIAL,COUPLING TAPE
(1055890-00-E)

Correction: Carrier - Sensor - Ultrasonic - Rear Door - LH
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASY, SENSOR CARRIER W/ADHESIVES, LEFT(1075447
-00-C)

Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty 0.00

This happened to me sometimes, and I reproduced the issue successfully on my mid-2018 Model X. Basically, it happens when you're parked next to a large white car and the sun is reflecting off of the car directly towards your car. Model X thinks it's an obstruction and doors on that side of the X open minimally.

Ive also seen someone literally put duct tape over the sensor then pull it off. Magically it worked!?!

I assume his malfunction was the sensor appeared "sunken in" instead of smooth.
Personally i would never do this.

Ive had a sensor issue myself but it was due to the vinyl wrap on my X, simply cut off the vinyl on that sensor and all was fine.

On our new Raven MX the FW doors won't open from the outside or from the touch screen. Very unusual. To open you'll have to hold the inside B pillar button. After you open it this way you can then close it and open from the outside without issues. Is there a fix for this or do I need to setup a SC visit. No obstruction warnings or obstacles near by the doors. Must be the Texas 100 degree heat.