Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Wiper Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking back my earlier comment about it working after the last update. It worked great the day after (Autowipers adjusted to the rate of rain and non-Autowipers were reliable). The next day nothing worked while it was raining.

Taking back my earlier comment about it working after the last update. It worked great the day after (Autowipers adjusted to the rate of rain and non-Autowipers were reliable). The next day nothing worked while it was raining.

Same experience here. Autowipers seemed to work this past weekend for me but standard intermittent wipers were not working. I believe there was one software update I had earlier in October which hasn't resolved the issues.

New FSD update that installed last night still did not fix the wiper issue. This is now TWO updates that they could have pushed a fix out with but chose not to. I dont know guys, Im starting to worry they have no intention of fixing it. Our cars are just too old for them to bother with.

New FSD update that installed last night still did not fix the wiper issue. This is now TWO updates that they could have pushed a fix out with but chose not to. I dont know guys, Im starting to worry they have no intention of fixing it. Our cars are just too old for them to bother with.
Thanks for the update. I hadn't gotten around to checking mine after the last software push. I hope you're wrong on a forthcoming fix. I can't imagine they'd just abandon us on a wiper issue. Something non-safety related, perhaps; but I'm still counting on them to make this particular flaw right.

Thanks for the update. I hadn't gotten around to checking mine after the last software push. I hope you're wrong on a forthcoming fix. I can't imagine they'd just abandon us on a wiper issue. Something non-safety related, perhaps; but I'm still counting on them to make this particular flaw right.
Good point. This is definitely a safety issue. Shameful they haven't pioritized it though.

Reactions: MurrayJimW
I really hoped 2023.27.7 would fix the intermittent wipers but no. Still have to turn them all the way on or push for a single wipe. I can understand auto-wipers being wonky since there is some small amount of coding involved but screwing up the function of a physical switch? COME ON, we only have like 10 physical switches in the entire car and you screw one of them up???? I think we should all set up service appts and clog up the system until they fix it. We are entering the raining season up here in the PNW.

Lets start a service request for this issue. I just created one today, lets see what they say. We could give Tesla some time to fix this safety issue. If not we could all file complaint with NHTSA. with the service request we have it in writing to back up our claim.

Lets start a service request for this issue. I just created one today, lets see what they say. We could give Tesla some time to fix this safety issue. If not we could all file complaint with NHTSA. with the service request we have it in writing to back up our claim.
I already did that months ago. They canceled it and said its a software issue and that a fix would eventually be released.

I got reply from Tesla today

"Hi,

Wanted to reach out as we’ve tried to give you a call regarding your Auto wiper concern as listed in the Tesla App. We have been able to Divert the concern as we were able to verify that what you are experiencing is a known characteristic of the current firmware package and not the result of any faulted hardware. Our engineering team is currently working on rectification that when ready will be released in the form of a free over-the-air update. We have Diverted the service visit as of now, shall you have any additional questions please feel free to create a new visit in the Tesla App.

Have a wonderful weekend!"

Just saw a new update pushed to our 2016 Model S for today, no mention on if this is fixed, but it was still hitting us this past week, so we're going on 3-4 months of them having this broken. This sort of thing is why I won't be buying another Tesla, they break things, they know they break it and it's not a priority to fix it. I guess in California they don't need wipers so they just do not care.

We just got the update 23.27.12. Intermittent wipers STILL not working correctly. I live in western Oregon—this is essential equipment. We are getting increasingly frustrated that a $90,000 car (2020 Model X) doesn’t have the functionality of my old Subaru. We made a service appointment a couple of months ago, but like you folks report, they cancelled it, saying it was a software issue. My husband just made another service appointment. We’re going to poke at it as best we can in hopes that the issue gets escalated.

My intermittent wipers work intermittently. On the fastest setting, they’ll wipe a couple times, wait a couple minutes, wipe again. Its definitely not any sort of consistent interval.

Reactions: MurrayJimW
Add me as one more who is having this problem on a 2017 X running 11.4.7.3. Auto wipers were working up until yesterday. Now there are no auto and no intermittent settings, and of course the rain is the perfect amount to need the high intermittent setting.

I’m not sure what changed, but I had to drive a ways in varying rain conditions yesterday and they seemed to be working correctly. We’ll keep testing. Which is not difficult in western Oregon right now. We do have FSD, though I confess we never use it.

I had forgotten about the wheel size trick…thanks for the reminder.