Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Introductions (Hong Kong)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! Appreciate it.

Welcome!!

Just quick answers:

1. It is almost the same size as BMW X6, just a few cm longer. You'll get used to it and no worries. Probably some carparks you want to avoid (classic is Shatin Centre, see picture below)

View attachment 60281

2. Don't worry about that, it will hold. I've done parking around SOHO / Staunton Street area and you know how steep it can be. A bit of practice will get you there.

3. Average 270-250 wh/km. If you do more highways it moves closer to 220 but reality average I would say 260 wh/km. ie HK$1 can get you through ~4km. (1kwh is just over HK$1 kowloon side)

Hope that helps

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I expect to get my Tesla delivery in mid December.

Just wondering what Tesla will provide / I need to arrange:
(a) fob holders - I read somewhere that Tesla provides them with the keys.
(b) screen protector - I read that there are two layers of screen protector; the top one should be removed and the bottom retained and not necessary to buy seperately.
(c) floor mats - I understand those from the US websites don't fit in the HK right hand drives.
(d) trunk mat which protects the bumper when moving luggage.

Also is Orix (finance) and Liberty (insurance) the best combo if I have 60% NCD?

Anything else I should arrange?

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I expect to get my Tesla delivery in mid December.

Hi, and welcome.

Also is Orix (finance) and Liberty (insurance) the best combo if I have 60% NCD?

So long as you have 60% NCB, the insurance pricing from different providers seem comparable. I use Liberty.

Finance really seems to depend on your personal situation and preferences.

See this thread for details: Financing and insurance in Hong Kong

Anything else I should arrange?

Autotoll tag (when you get the car paperwork): Autotoll tag installation

Oh, and there is a whatsapp group for local owners. PM me your phone number if you want in.

There's also an upcoming rally december 14th: Model S rally - Page 6

Moderator's Note: Discussions regarding modifications went here: All Model S Mods Go Here - Page 5

I can't speak for others but mine has been delayed due to a problem with paperwork.
I was supposed to get it by yesterday but now not sure when it will be, I guess probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hi SK,

just a quick question, has your car arrived yet and when did you place your deposit?

just want to see if they on delivering on time.

Thanks

T

Hi guys. I'm Phil and pending delivery of my S85, hopefully in April/May.

It's really nice to see so many knowledgeable members here and looking forward to learn from you.

Phil

Hi Phil, and welcome to TMC forums. We also have a whatsapp group, actually several, and a facebook group. Send a message to jh78 if you like to join, and remember to include your email and phone number.

Last edited:
Hi renny, and welcome.

That must be for a dual drive then, 85D maybe?

Yes DITB, I ordered the dual motor version. I am so looking forward for its arrival.
Are many of you installing the home charger? Is it worth installing the dual chargers option? The sale person kept telling me that this dual chargers option is not necessary.

Yes DITB, I ordered the dual motor version. I am so looking forward for its arrival.
Are many of you installing the home charger? Is it worth installing the dual chargers option? The sale person kept telling me that this dual chargers option is not necessary.

No need unless you do drive over 400km a day. Also HK dose have many charger and it is a small place unlike UK or US were you do need fast charge for the long trips.
Save the $$$ for other mods.

I think this is a big mistake.

Not because I think you should buy something you don't need, but it is such a shame to find out you should have gotten one. Also resale value. What if you decide to move? Do a longer trip? It costs 2.5 times as much for a retrofit if you change your mind after the car has been built, and want the extra charger in.

Kwai Chung Estate is an example of a place with type-2 Mennekes 32A/3~ (22 kW). They have the two first hours parking free, and with dual chargers, you charge at 95 km/h (typical) 117 km/h (rated), 190 km typical range charged absolutely at zero cost. This is the fastest you can charge on AC - with only superchargers (and maybe "soon", ChaDeMo) being faster - but they are DC, and bypass the chargers anyway.

Even with a 32A charger, if it is single phase, single charger equipped cars only get 16A charging which is ... about 15 km/h charging (almost two days for a charge), whereas those of us with dual chargers get around 30 km/h charging from the very same plug.

Have a look here #372 for more information about single vs dual charger.

I have heard that people have been advised that "they don't need dual chargers", while they regret it later when they find out how big the difference is in charging times.

I think this is a big mistake.

Not because I think you should buy something you don't need, but it is such a shame to find out you should have gotten one. Also resale value. What if you decide to move? Do a longer trip? It costs 2.5 times as much for a retrofit if you change your mind after the car has been built, and want the extra charger in.

Kwai Chung Estate is an example of a place with type-2 Mennekes 32A/3~ (22 kW). They have the two first hours parking free, and with dual chargers, you charge at 95 km/h (typical) 117 km/h (rated), 190 km typical range charged absolutely at zero cost. This is the fastest you can charge on AC - with only superchargers (and maybe "soon", ChaDeMo) being faster - but they are DC, and bypass the chargers anyway.

Even with a 32A charger, if it is single phase, single charger equipped cars only get 16A charging which is ... about 15 km/h charging (almost two days for a charge), whereas those of us with dual chargers get around 30 km/h charging from the very same plug.

Have a look here #372 for more information about single vs dual charger.

I have heard that people have been advised that "they don't need dual chargers", while they regret it later when they find out how big the difference is in charging times.

Thanks very much.:smile:
I called the sales today and he said they can change the order for me. Phew, lucky I asked you guys.

Make your own decision. Dual chargers is not worth it for everyone. But for a car this expensive, I think it's a risky decision to save that money. Twice the charging speed in many situations so ... check the "delivery" thread (it's a sticky thread). Post #1 has a chart of many TMC members orders. All got the tech package, but not all dual chargers.

In fact, link to that thread is in my signature just below here

Hi guys and gals,
I'm new - where do you all meet on Sundays for MS get together on a regular basis, Ikd love to come by and say hello... I'm Green/Tan MS 85

Hopewell and kai tak superchargers seem to be the common meeting ground :biggrin:

We typically have a big get together once every couple of months (50+ people attending), and smaller meet-ups for ground-buys in between. Sign up on charged.hk, or keep an eye out here on TMC for new event postings, and we'll make sure you are informed.