Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inverter Shutting Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've gathered solar roof uses different MCIs than the solar panels do and is likely why the problem doesn't exist for solar roofs. At least I haven't heard or anyone with a solar roof having this problem.
I found about half a dozen approved plansets on the web, for solar roof with delta inverters. Everyone of them used an "external Bypass diode" attached to each and every roof tile. I suspect this can make the output the inverter sees look different. These harnesses with external diodes in them aren't used in the modules/panels I have, and the troubleshooter/installer person that came to my place said that Tesla doesnt use those on normal arrays, just the SE inverter with optimizers.. The info i have been able to find on roof tiles sound like they still have the burn-out protection internal diodes, so why would they need them in the harness of the roofs? if it doesnt help something?

Regarding Delta inverters and weird cutting out behavior: I have such issues too, with a Delta M10-TL Minor cloud issues will cause complete shutdown usually for 10-15 mins, other times i have to manually turn off the dc disconnect to ever get it to come back on.

I Would like to know how I get an upgrade on my firmware from 2.2.13.

I found about half a dozen approved plansets on the web, for solar roof with delta inverters. Everyone of them used an "external Bypass diode" attached to each and every roof tile. I suspect this can make the output the inverter sees look different. These harnesses with external diodes in them aren't used in the modules/panels I have, and the troubleshooter/installer person that came to my place said that Tesla doesnt use those on normal arrays, just the SE inverter with optimizers.. The info i have been able to find on roof tiles sound like they still have the burn-out protection internal diodes, so why would they need them in the harness of the roofs? if it doesnt help something?

Regarding Delta inverters and weird cutting out behavior: I have such issues too, with a Delta M10-TL Minor cloud issues will cause complete shutdown usually for 10-15 mins, other times i have to manually turn off the dc disconnect to ever get it to come back on.

I Would like to know how I get an upgrade on my firmware from 2.2.13.
The only way I know to upgrade the firmware is to call Tesla and have them come out and do it. It does seem like you should be able to upgrade via bluetooth and the M Professional app but I've never been able to make it work.

Tesla updated my Delta FW remotely. But you have to have their black inverter gateway box near the device (ie max 10 ft) and have the gateway connected via ethernet. I had to buy a wifi to ethernet extender to support it.
i have this little black box, it currently reads "no server" and "no signal" in red on the front. its probably 20-30 feet away from the delta inverter. i never knew what its for and the installer had told me that location would be fine :> guess i need to try to troubleshoot it, get it closer etc. (but it lets you have zero info from it locally on the net: no ssh, telnet, web, tftp, sftp, ... nothing). it is connected via ethernet, and my router sees it as active and gives it an ip via dchp. it responds to ping. i dont see any blocking of it in my router logs. It would sort of help if tesla didnt try to be so closed fisted with info on how these things are suppsoed to work or at least what infrastructure settings or ports or whatever they need to operate.

The only way I know to upgrade the firmware is to call Tesla and have them come out and do it. It does seem like you should be able to upgrade via bluetooth and the M Professional app but I've never been able to make it work.
you need a firmware bin file physically on your phone to satisfy the M professional app. I have searched for a couple hours around delta sites, and web at large, but found no where to get firmware downloads for an M10-TL (or M4, 6,8, TLs either)

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
learned a little more about firmware and "little black box" monkeying with it the last few days (started by getting a powerline etehrnet adapter for lan, so i could plug neo in right next to the inverter last week; this week been monkeying with what i can learn).

Firmware @lucassaugen : the M professional app when connected to the delta, DOES now show a drop down of three firmware files. I suspect that the inverter being hooked up to neo succesfully for a while now then using the M-Professional app again, some where has a set of links, or actually downloaded the files to some local spot on neo or the inverter. Its not on my phone.
Sorry didn't get brave enough to try pushing the update button to push one of them into the inverters running space .
M-Prof upgrade menu item now shows, after click field (not arrow), these bin (binary) files:
MARIO_SYS_02.02.14_PWR_01.04.09_ENS_01.04.03.bin
MARIO_SYS_03.01.07_PWR_01.05.08_ENS_01.05.01.bin
MARIO_SYS_03.01.08_PWR_01.05.08_ENS_01.05.01.bin

WARNING, i have SYS v 2.2.13, so dont assume this means you could DOWNgrade. it might decide what options to show you based on what is currently running/installed in the inverter.

to test that some, someone with sys v 3.1.8 or 3.1.7 could try to replicate this list and see if it shows MARIO_SYS_02.02.14_PWR_01.04.09_ENS_01.04.03.bin to them. (it still might show it but not allow downgrade).

RE SSH: Little black box - neo is also replying to ssh now. not sure why my scan missed it before. cant log in though.

Last edited:
between @aesculus and @gl123 2 differnt notes about the firmware and behavior, the "cutting out" is probably not just firmware version alone. (my delta M10 with sys FW v 2.2.13 does it a number of times a day). se my post earlier today, i suspect its possible for us to try different version of firmware. but should hit that "update"button with extreme trepidation :).

learned a little more about firmware and "little black box" monkeying with it the last few days (started by getting a powerline etehrnet adapter for lan, so i could plug neo in right next to the inverter last week; this week been monkeying with what i can learn).

Firmware @lucassaugen : the M professional app when connected to the delta, DOES now show a drop down of three firmware files. I suspect that the inverter being hooked up to neo succesfully for a while now then using the M-Professional app again, some where has a set of links, or actually downloaded the files to some local spot on neo or the inverter. Its not on my phone.
Sorry didn't get brave enough to try pushing the update button to push one of them into the inverters running space .
M-Prof upgrade menu item now shows, after click field (not arrow), these bin (binary) files:
MARIO_SYS_02.02.14_PWR_01.04.09_ENS_01.04.03.bin
MARIO_SYS_03.01.07_PWR_01.05.08_ENS_01.05.01.bin
MARIO_SYS_03.01.08_PWR_01.05.08_ENS_01.05.01.bin

WARNING, i have SYS v 2.2.13, so dont assume this means you could DOWNgrade. it might decide what options to show you based on what is currently running/installed in the inverter.

to test that some, someone with sys v 3.1.8 or 3.1.7 could try to replicate this list and see if it shows MARIO_SYS_02.02.14_PWR_01.04.09_ENS_01.04.03.bin to them. (it still might show it but not allow downgrade).

RE SSH: Little black box - neo is also replying to ssh now. not sure why my scan missed it before. cant log in though.
@BGbreeder might find this useful.

I was told by a Tesla service person that 3.1.8 is specifically for the solar roof, and that 3.1.7 is the latest solar panel version. He called the engineering team to verify this.
I have 3.1.7 and the little black box is a few feet from the inverter/gateway. My drop down list is not populated.
I have a solar roof and am on 3.1.8. Makes sense.

I was told by a Tesla service person that 3.1.8 is specifically for the solar roof, and that 3.1.7 is the latest solar panel version. He called the engineering team to verify this.
I have 3.1.7 and the little black box is a few feet from the inverter/gateway. My drop down list is not populated.

Hmm, I updated mine to 3.1.8 even though I have panels (I just assumed that newer version is better). Based on the above I tried to downgrade but that doesn't seem to work: I can select 3.1.7 in m-professional or in m-tool, but even after waiting out the 1...100% installation and the app reporting "success" the inverter stays on 3.1.8.

Wondering if it's an issue (using 3.1.8 while having panels, not roof).

I've got a ticket in with Tesla but the first person I talked to didn't seem to know if this was even an issue. Waiting to hear back.

Whenever there's a drop in sunlight the inverter goes into night mode and stays there for like 30 minutes.

So, if a stray cloud passes in front of the sun for 5 seconds and then moves on. My inverter shuts down for 30 minutes and then comes back like nothing happened.

So, yesterday was very sunny and late in the afternoon we had some high faint clouds start to roll in.

I have a Delta M4 inverter and it was the first time our installers had installed it. Had to come back a couple of times to fix the 2.7kWh cap but they took care of that without me asking.

View attachment 539385
This has been happening to me since install. Delta said the set up is not compatible with the system so it is in a constant powercycle. I had to make a complaint with the state contractor licensing board. They then reduced my system to a 3.2 though I paid for a 4.08. I downloaded m tool from delta and use the date code to log in. I have had outside assessments and same results and yes I had to pay for these. Their engineering is no good and no they don’t know how to install these plus they will damage your roof every time they are out. Tesla has been out more than 10 times since the install 11 months ago. I am about ready to pay 3-4k and get microinverters that are compatible installed. Make a formal written complaint. Even writing the executive board as the contract says does not work. You have to make a complaint to the state contractor licensing board to help. My system gets less than 1kw most days which should never happen

Attachments

• A65449F2-0D9F-46E2-9A08-2EAE3130E5ED.jpeg
    A65449F2-0D9F-46E2-9A08-2EAE3130E5ED.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 54
This has been happening to me since install. Delta said the set up is not compatible with the system so it is in a constant powercycle. I had to make a complaint with the state contractor licensing board. They then reduced my system to a 3.2 though I paid for a 4.08. I downloaded m tool from delta and use the date code to log in. I have had outside assessments and same results and yes I had to pay for these. Their engineering is no good and no they don’t know how to install these plus they will damage your roof every time they are out. Tesla has been out more than 10 times since the install 11 months ago. I am about ready to pay 3-4k and get microinverters that are compatible installed. Make a formal written complaint. Even writing the executive board as the contract says does not work. You have to make a complaint to the state contractor licensing board to help. My system gets less than 1kw most days which should never happen
Wow! It's seems like it would be so simple, and cheap, for them to swap the inverter for a Tesla inverter to solve your problem...

Eleven months with less then 1kWh on most days? That's got to be very frustrating. However, your previous post to this forum seems to imply something different.
Would you be willing to tell the community a little more detail about your configuration and symptoms? You say that "They then reduced my system to a 3.2". Is "they" the licensing board or Delta or Tesla? What does "reduce" mean? For example, were some panels removed or you were told that the max expected output is 3.2kW or something else? Depending on the orientation of the panels, 3.2kW may well be the maximum power that system will produce.
When you use M Professional, what versions of firmware is shown? My neighbor had difficulties with a M4-TL-US inverter which were caused by old firmware, which wasn't being upgraded due to an improper networking setup. Once the networking was fixed, Tesla could update the FW, and the system works well now.

Tesla sold quite a few systems with Delta inverters and it is evident that the Delta M series inverters are in fact generally compatible to the systems Tesla sells, and a M4-TL-US is well sized for a nominal 4.08kW array. Clearly something is amiss with your system, but it isn't a general incompatibility issue.

BTW, regarding the suggestions to switch to a Tesla or SolarEdge inverter, it appears to me based on quite a few posts on this board that both of those inverters have more hardware problems than the Delta inverters.

Update: I finally got someone from Tesla to come back out. They had previously disconnected my MCIs as a temporary fix and claimed a firmware update was going to arrive shortly and they would come back and reinstall my MCIs. That was almost 2 years ago. I gave the new tech the rundown and he says they've been going around swapping out all the old MCIs with new MCIs for this very problem. He's going to get me on the schedule and will come back with the new MCIs.

So it seems like the firmware fix was a myth and they've got some new version of the MCIs from Delta.

Back to the waiting game.

Somewhat related... I checked M Professional today and they have new firmware out... I've been running with PWR 1.5.7 since last spring... I don't have dropouts but my inverter also just doesn't pull what it should when all the panels are in full sun... M10-TL-US, so 2 20-amp MPPTs. I've seen the 12 panel array pulling 310W per panel, while the 24 panel array (12s2p) only pulls 260W per panel, when they're all pointing basically the same angle off the sun. Very frustrating.
New firmware is PWR 1.5.15, and safety/system version has bumped up as well. I don't use the Delta/Tesla MCIs, I installed an optimizer system, and voided my Tesla warranty in the process :)