Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investor Engineering Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's deliberate. It seems they turn the can upside down from normal, cap and isolate the bottom, and punch in the positive top button with an insulator.

They are made from copper and aluminum to match the electrode foils.

That sounds right.

Initially I am interested in safety, electrical safety and thermal runaway prevention.

It is possible that the cell has some kind of built in fuse, if that is true, those flowers might be part of it.

I don't think soldering connections like the old packs would work.

It's deliberate. It seems they turn the can upside down from normal, cap and isolate the bottom, and punch in the positive top button with an insulator.

Yeah, the can is built with the top center contact and insulator installed. Then, the jelly roll with flowers/ current collectors is installed. The copper flower is then laser welded to the can sides. Finally, the bottom with vent hole is placed and the sides crimped in.

Previous cells were the bottom can, with the jelly roll inserted with tabs that were then welded to the cap and side.

That sounds right.

Initially I am interested in safety, electrical safety and thermal runaway prevention.

It is possible that the cell has some kind of built in fuse, if that is true, those flowers might be part of it.

I don't think soldering connections like the old packs would work.

That could be. I'm not sure if/how the top contact is welded, so that may be the weak point. the flowers do petal in opposite directions resulting in a longer path. I thought that was to help equalize the cell, but it may be for fusing.

4680 packs are only 9 cells in parallel vs the 2170s at 31. So a single cell fault is 11% of the group vs 3%. Should a cell short, the energy released is much higher, even if it is isolated.

Yeah, the can is built with the top center contact and insulator installed. Then, the jelly roll with flowers/ current collectors is installed. The copper flower is then laser welded to the can sides. Finally, the bottom with vent hole is placed and the sides crimped in.

Previous cells were the bottom can, with the jelly roll inserted with tabs that were then welded to the cap and side.

That could be. I'm not sure if/how the top contact is welded, so that may be the weak point. the flowers do petal in opposite directions resulting in a longer path. I thought that was to help equalize the cell, but it may be for fusing.

4680 packs are only 9 cells in parallel vs the 2170s at 31. So a single cell fault is 11% of the group vs 3%. Should a cell short, the energy released is much higher, even if it is isolated.
I also think tab-less design means less heat generated and overall less chance of a short, but with high nickel cells they do need a good way of preventing thermal runaway.

If it could be done, I would build cells with a built in fuse, because that means they don't need to worry about the problem at pack level, and it is also safer at most other stages of processing/storage.

It doesn't really matter, if a single cell fails the pack is bad and has to be replaced.
Yeah, but in terms of fault current/ energy, they are a bit different. With 31p, one shorted cell can pull from 30/31 cells or 1/31 if isolated. For a 4680, it can pull from 8/9 the cells and is 1/9 if isolated. For equivilent Ah groups, that is 3.5x the per cell energy during a fault (theoretically 5 or 6x once the cell is optimized).

It also impacts fusing since 2170 fault current is >30x single cell, but 4680 fault is >8x single cell. Still a big jump versus normal operation, but with I^2*R, it's at least 64 versus 900. 2170's (and 18650) lower per cell contribution made it easier to have bond wires that had minimal loss in normal operation, but melted when a cell fault occured.

Here’s the CATL announcement from their website.

Like @mongo said above, this is mostly a marketing press release and it doesn’t really give any substantial technical information to go off of.

The claimed specs and 4680 comparisons do not have enough contextual information provided to meaningfully understand what CATL is claiming. In addition to what @mongo said, other critical omissions include discussion of cost, manufacturability, longevity, charging curves. Cost is key. A great battery cell is worthless if it’s too expensive to be competitive in the market.

The usual differences and trade offs between cylindrical and prismatic cells still apply.

This design probably does have the slightly higher packing efficiency (72% vs 63% for 4680 according to CATL) than the 4680 structural pack because packing rectangular boxes together is more space-efficient than packing cylinders. Space is not the limiting factor in modern EVs except for 1) trying to make long range vehicles with lithium iron phosphate (LFP) cells and 2) trying to make ultra long range vehicles with lithium nickel cells. This is why Tesla uses prismatic cells from CATL for the standard range vehicles made in Shanghai using LFP chemistry.

We also can definitively say that the Qilin pack design is not fully a “structural” pack. The announcement says the cells can help support loads perpendicular to the driving direction (i.e. left-right loads) but the design is obviously not compatible with supporting longitudinal or torsional loads, so that’s a significant difference from the 4680 structural pack design. As we saw in the recent Munro tear down, the structural pack is about more than just the battery pack itself. When combined with the gigacasting for the rest of the underbody, the 4680 pack allows for a revolution in efficiency and personnel safety in General Assembly because most or maybe even all of the interior can be conveniently installed while standing up in a comfortable position with direct eyesight on the action being performed and generally only pushing motions which are faster and more ergonomic. Also this architecture should allow for more people working together at each station in General Assembly because they have more access to the hardware. As far as I can tell, the CATL Qilin pack will certainly not have these advantages because it won’t allow for deletion of the load pan the traditionally performs structural functions in the part of the chassis underneath the cabin.

If this is true then actual tear downs and public testing of the cells can be performed next year. This press release doesn’t have nearly enough information to really judge the Qilin cells on any basis other than CATL’s credibility. When they deliver the hardware we can really find out.
Indeed, though the orthogonal arrangement does lend itself to internal ribs potentially creating a torsion box/ table style structural pack (at a slight loss of density).
Sort of like the OG S/X pack was pretty structural.

Indeed, though the orthogonal arrangement does lend itself to internal ribs potentially creating a torsion box/ table style structural pack (at a slight loss of density).
Yeah. I also just added an edit to the post after rereading the sentence. It’s not quite clear if CATL is saying that the cells are supporting much load for the chassis at all, because the only claimed benefit is “enhancing the shock and vibration resistance of the battery pack.”

The cells are long and tall with thin width which would make them pretty weak for fighting chassis torsion because they’d flex and buckle under load.

I’d guess the biggest loads are longitudinal though and this pack won’t help much at all with those loads because of the elastic interlayers.

Slightly skeptical of this new description of the V4 Superchargers: Tesla V4 Supercharger design and dimensions

Dimensions seem plausible (slightly taller and narrower, but thicker):

marco-v4-dimensions.jpg

But here's how they describe a photo of the V4 they said they couldn't publish:

Drive Tesla has been able to obtain a photo of the new V4 Supercharger. To protect the identity of our source we can’t publish the photo, but we can describe what it looks like. ... The V4 Superchargers will look almost exactly like the Tesla Semi Megachargers we have seen installed at Giga Nevada and the Frito-Lay facility in Modesto ...

Sounds like a recipe for confusion if they make the V4 and the Megachargers visually similar.

Slightly skeptical of this new description of the V4 Superchargers: Tesla V4 Supercharger design and dimensions

Dimensions seem plausible (slightly taller and narrower, but thicker):

marco-v4-dimensions.jpg

But here's how they describe a photo of the V4 they said they couldn't publish:

Sounds like a recipe for confusion if they make the V4 and the Megachargers visually similar.

Seems like contextual clues (location, parking lines, Tesla navigation ) would disambiguate car V4s from Semi Megas.

I'm glad to see this posted here.

Looking at the specific claims:-
Supported by the above-mentioned technological innovations, the CTP 3.0 battery can increase the energy density to 255Wh/kg for ternary battery systems, and 160Wh/kg for LFP battery systems. With the same chemical system and the same pack size, it can deliver 13% more power than the 4680 battery, accomplishing an all-round improvement in range, fast-charging, safety, service life, efficiency and low-temperature performance.

13% more power might just be a benefit of a high packing density? I wonder how important that is?

The key metric is power and range per net vehicle body weight at pack level.

A 4680 structural pack will save some vehicle weight.

I also think BYD/CATL and Tesla are competing on production volumes, specs and price, it isn't essential for Tesla to be the leader at any point in time,
It is likely serious competition on vehicle batteries is 10-15 years away, and batteries are just one part of Tesla's business.

IMO the next big step forward in batteries is single crystal cathode, and I'm optimistic that Tesla will be the first to scale single crystal cathode. But I would not underestimate CATL and BYD, they will remain strong competition.

Reactions: Gigapress
I agree, but this is not a SAFETY benefit, which was OP's original point. By definition, the 2nd motor is only used when accelerating (applying power to the wheels). Assuming disk brakes are as competent as regen braking, once you pull your foot from the accelerator, AWD and RWD have the same characteristics, e.g. braking to avoid a collision, gently cornering.

I can't live without AWD either driving into backwoods locations in winter. But I don't think it reduces the chance of accident.

Even FWD is only safer than RWD if you are powering through an icy corner (FWD pulls you to where the wheels are pointing, RWD pushes you straight ahead, i.e. off the road). It's physics.
I concider not getting stuck and improved ability to move out of the way of other vehicles (or the direction I want) a safety issue. You're stopped on an icy road at a red light that is now green, the car a ways behind you never stopped. Sure, if they hit you it's their fault, but is that sufficient consolation?
Unprotected left turn in winter: do you want RWD or AWD?
Your truck has a transfer case selector, it's winter, which setting do you choose?

Only recently has Tesla started blending brakes with regen, before that, front disks were not in play.

Reactions: JRP3
Update on the 4680 pack from Munro. They say the pack is so structurally sound, they're having a tough time carefully dismantling it, so no full video until next week at the earliest:

One interesting detail is the confirmation of 4 contactors that would connect underneath what I've heard Munro Live call the "penthouse" of the pack before. This might confirm that the arrangement is similar to the cutaway we saw at the Giga Austin Rodeo, with 4 banks of cells inside the pack:

tesla-4680-battery-cells-and-structural-pack.webp

Update on the 4680 pack from Munro. They say the pack is so structurally sound, they're having a tough time carefully dismantling it, so no full video until next week at the earliest:

One interesting detail is the confirmation of 4 contactors that would connect underneath what I've heard Munro Live call the "penthouse" of the pack before. This might confirm that the arrangement is similar to the cutaway we saw at the Giga Austin Rodeo, with 4 banks of cells inside the pack:

tesla-4680-battery-cells-and-structural-pack.webp
The number of contactors should not be based on the number of module groups. 4 contactors implies two switched HV feeds (each taking two from positive and negative) which may indicate independent feeds for front and rear drive units. This would be a durability improvement over the current single HV feed which results in no motor function if either drive unit has an HV fault.
Although, that raises the question of which feed the charger and heat pump connect to.
Or it could redundancy to double contactor expected life due to non-servicablity?
????