Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 12 mini won't charge wirelessly or with the four USB-C ports in brand new SR+.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a problem where my iPhone 12 mini isn't charging on the wireless charger or via the USB-C ports in my week-old 2021 Model 3 SR+. The green battery icon with a lightning bolt through it lights up on my iPhone, but it doesn't charge. It just sits at whatever percentage that it was on prior to connecting. It won't go any higher or lower.

I've also tried all four USB-C ports (two in the front and two in the back) and it's the same story. All it does is maintain the battery at the current percentage and does not add to the charge level. I've tried resetting the phone, difference USB-C to lightning cables, and even read about using LEGO bricks (as I saw in another thread) to allow the iPhone 12 mini to sit up higher on the charging pad to no avail.

I have my son's iPad mini in the car "charging" right now, and I'll see what charge level it's at in about 20 mins. It was at 42% when I plugged it in. If that doesn't work, I'll try a cigarette adapter with a USB-C port on it to see if they charge that way.

I'm having a problem where my iPhone 12 mini isn't charging on the wireless charger or via the USB-C ports in my week-old 2021 Model 3 SR+. The green battery icon with a lightning bolt through it lights up on my iPhone, but it doesn't charge. It just sits at whatever percentage that it was on prior to connecting. It won't go any higher or lower.

I've also tried all four USB-C ports (two in the front and two in the back) and it's the same story. All it does is maintain the battery at the current percentage and does not add to the charge level. I've tried resetting the phone, difference USB-C to lightning cables, and even read about using LEGO bricks (as I saw in another thread) to allow the iPhone 12 mini to sit up higher on the charging pad to no avail.

I have my son's iPad mini in the car "charging" right now, and I'll see what charge level it's at in about 20 mins. It was at 42% when I plugged it in. If that doesn't work, I'll try a cigarette adapter with a USB-C port on it to see if they charge that way.
I had the same problem with my 12 mini in my son's 6 month old model Y. It would not charge wirelessly and just got quite warm. I works in my new model 3 just fine. USB C charger works in both cars.

Do you have smart battery conditioning turned on in your iPhone? The phone when above 80% may not charge right away or trickle charge slowly. Wireless charging generates more waste in the form of heat, which the iPhone algorithm will also modify the charging process

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Do you have smart battery conditioning turned on in your iPhone? The phone when above 80% may not charge right away or trickle charge slowly. Wireless charging generates more waste in the form of heat, which the iPhone algorithm will also modify the charging process
I do. I'll try to run the battery down today and see if I can get it to charge from about 20 percent later today. As a side note, my son's iPad Mini charged just fine yesterday when I left it in the car. It went from 42% to about 66% in about 30 mins. So it appears that it's my iPhone 12 mini that's the limiting factor.

Reactions: sightman
I had this same problem. The Qi charging coil in the Tesla charging pad doesn't line up. You have to "lift" your Mini about 2cm. Many people have used legos, pencils, 3D printing, etc. There are also custom-manufactured higher end products that will help. Here's one of the more popular ones I have found:

I already solved my problem. Sold my iPhone 12 mini on eBay and bought an iPhone 13 Pro. :D

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and rpiotro
I had the same problem with my 12 mini in my son's 6 month old model Y. It would not charge wirelessly and just got quite warm. I works in my new model 3 just fine. USB C charger works in both cars.
I had the same problem. I use the Spigen case for the phone. It charges when I take the case off. So I got my wife's phone which also has the Spigen case but charges fine (with and without case). I was messing with my phone and accidentally put it upside down on the charger and voila... it starts to charge (with the Spigen case on). Would be interesting to know if this happens with your phone as well.

Reactions: rpiotro
I had the same problem. I use the Spigen case for the phone. It charges when I take the case off. So I got my wife's phone which also has the Spigen case but charges fine (with and without case). I was messing with my phone and accidentally put it upside down on the charger and voila... it starts to charge (with the Spigen case on). Would be interesting to know if this happens with your phone as well.
Spigen makes an excellent case. Right now I have the Apple silicone case on my new 13 mini. It charges just fine facing forward on the charger. But, it has to be positioned just so. I Don't need to raise it but it has to be centered left to right. It is a very small sweet spot.

I tried it facing forward. I don't think it worked but it is hard to tell as I can't see the screen. I did not hear the clunk sound.

Reactions: GeoG
I also have 2021 SR+ and iPhone Mini. The phone is too small to align with the coils in the wireless charger, but I found that placing the phone upside down solves this issue and the phone charges.
I found out this trick on the built in charger in the 2021s, and do it on my aftermarket wireless charger in my 2018. My iPhone Mini charges way faster now when I put it on the pad upside down. Hilarious.