Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 14 + wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cross posting this from another thread iPhone Pro Max in Model Y. The Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit is less less than half the price of the Apple MegaSafe case.
I have a 14 pro max with a Spigen Ultra Hybrid MagFit Case, works perfectly in my Y
Was it this one Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit? The OEM Tesla wireless charging pad doesn't support MegaSafe, but utilizes Qi and as mentioned by Durzel earlier in the thread the "MagSafe cases add a big magnetic ring on the back of the phone, so it's hardly surprising they impede regular Qi charging" But I guess the design of the Spiegen case with the MegaSafe charging ring allows the back of the phone to make contact with the charging rings on the charging pad? It would be interesting to know the difference in the rate of charge with the Spiegen and/or Apple MegaSafe Case on vs off (Tesla's OEM Qi-enabled inductive phone charger should be able to charge at up to 15W of power). I also noticed that when charging with the case off, the back of the phone gets quite warm (I don't remember that being the case with my previous iPhone 11 Pro Max).

Cross posting this from another thread iPhone Pro Max in Model Y. The Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit is less less than half the price of the Apple MegaSafe case.

Was it this one Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit? The OEM Tesla wireless charging pad doesn't support MegaSafe, but utilizes Qi and as mentioned by Durzel earlier in the thread the "MagSafe cases add a big magnetic ring on the back of the phone, so it's hardly surprising they impede regular Qi charging" But I guess the design of the Spiegen case with the MegaSafe charging ring allows the back of the phone to make contact with the charging rings on the charging pad? It would be interesting to know the difference in the rate of charge with the Spiegen and/or Apple MegaSafe Case on vs off (Tesla's OEM Qi-enabled inductive phone charger should be able to charge at up to 15W of power). I also noticed that when charging with the case off, the back of the phone gets quite warm (I don't remember that being the case with my previous iPhone 11 Pro Max).
No it was this one , charges perfectly

Reactions: tbwnm
I've tried a few wireless charger pads (Tesla OEM USB C 27w, Taptes V3? the curved one usb C, Jeda V3/V4, and the Taptes v2) for the older pre 2021 cars and also got to borrow a 2021 M3 P for a bit so have a bit of experience with the newer built in pad.

(Just wanted to add a quick note. My 2018 has been retrofited with the usb A/C hub from the 2020 model 3 so some of the information about the charge speeds might not be applicable to 2018-2019 owners.)

Jeda V3/V4 pads are unreliable with smaller devices like the 13mini or Iphone SE (Basically a Iphone8) but work decently with larger devices. If you look around on the forums there are some horror stories of the pads being DOA and no support. Worse then oem charger pads and taptes. The rubber surface on the v3 gets scuffed pretty easily but is grippy. V4 magsafe alignment is cool but not worth the premium. (Both are sold in a dual usb A configuration and apparently can support 15W when connected to the 12v (not tested))

Taptes pads v3? and v2 are decent. I prefer the v3? (the curved one) that doesn't bump into the door when closed. I''ve been able to charge larger max devices with thin cases and smaller devices like the mini or se without issue. If you have a larger case on a max device you might have to place it horizontally rather than vertically. They feel cheaper then oem and jeda but just work. Took my v3 apart and it has a oblong shaped coil which explains its ability to charge a bunch of difference devices sizes without issues. V2 comes in a dual usb A version and the V3 comes in a dual usb A version and a USB C version. Using a charge speed estimation tool (chargemaster) the usb C version plugged into the 27 watt port avgs 5.5 watts from 10-60%. The estimation tool likely isn't super accurate but the pad does appear to pull 7.5 watts for a limited time on iphone. The surface isn't super grippy on either pad and devices can slip off their sweet spot and stop charging. Also has lights to indicate faults or

Found a used oem usb c pad for cheap and picked it up. They were included in 2020 cars and require a spacer or larger dock bar to work without having the phone fall off the charger. I 3d printed a 8mm spacer and also purchased another spacer for larger max devices. The pad is built like a tank and the best built pad. The surface is very grippy and is not easily damaged like the jeda. With the 8mm spacer (found on Thingiverse) it can charge mini and standard size devices fine. With the spacer for max devices (bought on etsy) it can charge the larger max devices without issue. It's a bit annoying having to carry to different spacers. Weirdly in my time using this pad I managed to get some averages of more than 7.5 watts when charging. In my test It somehow managed to do 9watts on avg from 20-50%. I'm not sure if its magically able to change faster than apples 7.5 watt limit, but i guess its just the chargemaster app being wrong.

I just got this case and it seems to work fine in my Model X with the factory charge pad and my Qi chargers. I have not tried it yet with the 3rd party charging pad in the Model 3. The nice thing about this case it is cheap and comes with the magnetic D ring that acts as a stand when at a desk and as popholder when walking.

Reactions: tbwnm
I just got this case and it seems to work fine in my Model X with the factory charge pad and my Qi chargers. I have not tried it yet with the 3rd party charging pad in the Model 3. The nice thing about this case it is cheap and comes with the magnetic D ring that acts as a stand when at a desk and as popholder when walking.
The OEM wireless charging pad on the X is a different design than the Y, so I don't think I'll chance the Casekoo your using. According to Finnster, the Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit works on the Model Y 2021+ OEM charging pad so I'll give that one a try (cost is about the same at USD $25). Thanks!

Received the Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit graphite case yesterday and tested it out but unfortunately it does not charge so its back to the drawing board. This is the 4th clear plastic/tpu case I have tried and so far none of them have worked (although this was the only MegaSafe version). Perhaps the charging rings on the wireless charger are defective as this case worked for Finnster (although the iPhone 14 Pro Max charges fine with the case off?). With the case off I also measured the charging power using Charge Master on the wireless charging pad and USB-A connector and here are the results.
IMG_0745.jpg

Received the Spiegen Ultra Mega Fit graphite case yesterday and tested it out but unfortunately it does not charge so its back to the drawing board. This is the 4th clear plastic/tpu case I have tried and so far none of them have worked (although this was the only MegaSafe version). Perhaps the charging rings on the wireless charger are defective as this case worked for Finnster (although the iPhone 14 Pro Max charges fine with the case off?). With the case off I also measured the charging power using Charge Master on the wireless charging pad and USB-A connector and here are the results. View attachment 863862
Try reaching out to Spigen. They have excellent customer service. A rep reached out to me and helped me trouble shoot. It wouldn’t work. Ultimately, he said to keep the case and just refunded the cost.
Email: [email protected]

I also have an appointment on the 21st to check a few things out, one of which is the charging pad. Makes the phone hot but doesn’t charge.

Try reaching out to Spigen. They have excellent customer service. A rep reached out to me and helped me trouble shoot. It wouldn’t work. Ultimately, he said to keep the case and just refunded the cost.
Email: [email protected]

I also have an appointment on the 21st to check a few things out, one of which is the charging pad. Makes the phone hot but doesn’t charge.
I got the case on Amazon Prime so I'm returning and getting a refund. Have you had any luck finding a clear case that charges?

Partner and I both have 14 Pro Max, coming from a 12 Pro Max, they charge, but slowly. Gets really hot on the charger and often has to interrupt the charge (can see it in the battery info of the phone). Case makes it worse, even a thin TPU one. Still usable as a charger but not expecting most gains there, I now keep a USB-C / Lightning cable in the car at all times just for the times I need a quick charge.

Curious to hear what tesla will say to Geo, but I am doubtful that there is any adjustment they can do there from the images in the service manual. I think it's mostly a question of distance from the pad itself...

Reactions: GeoG
Partner and I both have 14 Pro Max, coming from a 12 Pro Max, they charge, but slowly. Gets really hot on the charger and often has to interrupt the charge (can see it in the battery info of the phone). Case makes it worse, even a thin TPU one. Still usable as a charger but not expecting most gains there, I now keep a USB-C / Lightning cable in the car at all times just for the times I need a quick charge.

Curious to hear what tesla will say to Geo, but I am doubtful that there is any adjustment they can do there from the images in the service manual. I think it's mostly a question of distance from the pad itself...
I will update after my appointment on the 21st. I am curious to see what they might say.
I am going to leave my phone on the charger so they can see how hot it gets. Might take a screen shot when I leave home and and see how many %age it charged during the 45 minute drive.

Reactions: DBellerive