Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone/Apple Watch & Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Has any got any personal experiences using apps such as Stats, Tesla Remote & Watch App for Tesla?

Would like to use Siri commands via the watch, seemingly the Stats app currently holds the crown for being the most efficient at this.

Thanks.

Tesla remote for me + Siri Shortcuts. I have Stats too, but didn’t find it worked as well. Never tried Watch App.

Watch complications not immediate enough for my liking. Walking out the door saying: ‘get car ready for work’ that triggers frunk open and unlock charge port is good.

Tesla remote for me + Siri Shortcuts. I have Stats too, but didn’t find it worked as well. Never tried Watch App.

Watch complications not immediate enough for my liking. Walking out the door saying: ‘get car ready for work’ that triggers frunk open and unlock charge port is good.

right yeh, I’ve had a good look at Tesla Remote.

understand the Siri commands not being immediate enough, think this is down to the relay time between watch and iPhone. Think only way around that would be for the command to be dealt with solely by the watch, which I’m not sure can happen just yet, with any of those apps, maybe someone will correct me on that.

Hi all

Has any got any personal experiences using apps such as Stats, Tesla Remote & Watch App for Tesla?

Would like to use Siri commands via the watch, seemingly the Stats app currently holds the crown for being the most efficient at this.

Thanks.

I've been testing Watch App for Tesla and it seems to work very well (though its a bit cumbersome to setup, but that's only once off). Otherwise the standard Tesla app does all I need (I have Stats and it works fine, but I am not that interested in most of the numbers and charts it generates).

Last edited:
Home - Watch app for Tesla
Watch for Tesla is Apple Watch only. It's pretty good apart from the fact it seems to stop my car going to sleep, even with the background refresh switched off. So I've uninstalled it for the time being and am monitoring what happens with my car's sleeping - need to have a few days' data to make it more robust statistically.

Tesla remote works with Siri via the shortcuts app. There is a bit of a delay as the first command is a 'wake tesla' command. It's much quicker to run as a shortcut from a widget on the home screen than through Siri. I've stopped using the shortcuts on my watch from tesla remote as it queues them up and sometimes I've come back to the car and found my frunk open from a command given miles earlier!

In the end, none of this is all that much quicker than just using the tesla app, but it's good to have a backup as I've heard about people locking their phone in the car (although I ALWAYS carry a keycard in my wallet).

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Home - Watch app for Tesla
Watch for Tesla is Apple Watch only. It's pretty good apart from the fact it seems to stop my car going to sleep, even with the background refresh switched off. So I've uninstalled it for the time being and am monitoring what happens with my car's sleeping - need to have a few days' data to make it more robust statistically.

Tesla remote works with Siri via the shortcuts app. There is a bit of a delay as the first command is a 'wake tesla' command. It's much quicker to run as a shortcut from a widget on the home screen than through Siri. I've stopped using the shortcuts on my watch from tesla remote as it queues them up and sometimes I've come back to the car and found my frunk open from a command given miles earlier!

In the end, none of this is all that much quicker than just using the tesla app, but it's good to have a backup as I've heard about people locking their phone in the car (although I ALWAYS carry a keycard in my wallet).

Maybe something better with Apple Watch is hopefully in the pipeline

It’s far easier to do everything manually than to use Siri.

eg. I’ve set Siri to...

Heat my car
Open the boot
Open my garage
Open charge port
Open frunk
Etc etc

In practice not a single one of them is faster or more convenient than doing the action manually.

yeh, that’s defo down to the chain of command. Maybe sometime soon we will see improvements on that, tech is definitely there

Agree with everyone on the delay with Siri, however, when getting ready to walk out the door with briefcase and brew in hand, I do find it expedient to mutter ‘Hey Siri: get the car ready for work’. It rarely isn’t ready by the time I get to the car. Similarly, when I pad around bleary-eyed on a cold winter’s morning, ‘Hey Siri: warm the car up’ about 30mins before leaving is good to get the battery and cabin warmed up using power from the wall to mitigate battery depletion. I find that better than trying to bring my eyes into focus on a small screen.

Watch apps seem slower than the phone apps and often fail for me. Will give that Watch App for Tesla a spin. £3.99 is not much to lose and it might be faster than the others being native to the Watch and only relying on the phone for data comms over bluetooth.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Think the Watch App for Tesla is the most recent (might be wrong) but certainly seems like Stats and Tesla Remote have a decent review background. Like you say, 4 quid is no love lost if the app isn’t up to much but the Stats app I believe is 20 quid, better be decent for that kinda coin ;)

You can also use the free Shortcuts app to create your own Siri commands. I've used ones from a couple of different places and they generally work great.

Tesla Commands Shortcut : shortcuts

I created a Siri Shortcut that wakes up my Tesla and turns on the climate control : teslamotors

The one I use for waking the car and turning on climate control sometimes comes back with an error on my watch but I think that's just because Siri on my watch gets impatient waiting for confirmation that the car has been woken and is now heating - the car always has though when I check.

You can also use the free Shortcuts app to create your own Siri commands. I've used ones from a couple of different places and they generally work great.

Tesla Commands Shortcut : shortcuts

I created a Siri Shortcut that wakes up my Tesla and turns on the climate control : teslamotors

The one I use for waking the car and turning on climate control sometimes comes back with an error on my watch but I think that's just because Siri on my watch gets impatient waiting for confirmation that the car has been woken and is now heating - the car always has though when I check.

Are those safe? I mean using shortcuts that some random off the net has created? Do they have access to anything?
Not fully sure how it works. Obviously you have to grant access etc through these apps but at least they are traceable back to the developer I’d guess.

Are those safe? I mean using shortcuts that some random off the net has created? Do they have access to anything?
Not fully sure how it works. Obviously you have to grant access etc through these apps but at least they are traceable back to the developer I’d guess.
Well all you are downloading is the text to get the shortcuts to work so you can see exactly what they are doing. You do enter your credentials once you've downloaded the shortcut but it only ever lives on your phone and it just gets itself a token from the tesla api website and then uses that to utilize whatever commands the shortcut is using from the tesla api site. The shortcuts app itself is made by Apple.

Think the Watch App for Tesla is the most recent (might be wrong) but certainly seems like Stats and Tesla Remote have a decent review background. Like you say, 4 quid is no love lost if the app isn’t up to much but the Stats app I believe is 20 quid, better be decent for that kinda coin ;)
I think the developer of Stats had a different focus to the developer of Watch App for Tesla. The clue is in the name. Whilst Stats does provide all the controls and an app for the Watch, the original functionality was to measure your efficiency and compare it financially to an ICE car (like an app version of TeslaFi). I originally bought it because it seemed to compute how much you were paying to charge your vehicle. However, it gets its data from the car and makes an assumption about the loss from the AC to DC conversion for charging. Then you find it only has a flat rate for your home leccy. It ended up being useless for measuring my home charging costs. Now I only really use it for the Siri Shortcuts and the occasional look at my efficiency and software version compared to other users.

IMO, £20 is naff all in the context of this expensive computer with wheels on and the fuel savings it likely gives you in comparison with ICE cars.

In the end, I worked out my home charging costs by getting the data out of my smart charger on the actual juice being sucked by the car and used a spreadsheet to calculate it based on my time of day tariff. Now the ev.energy app does my cost calculations and has the added advantage of programming my charging times to optimise cost with Octopus Agile.

Reactions: Medved_77
Have reinstalled Tesla Watch App since a new version was uploaded and haven't had any problems getting the car to sleep any more. Would recommend it if you just want something on your Apple Watch that gives you easy access to common commands.

well that’s it you see, that’s all I’m really after, is something simplistic that I can use for commands from the watch really.