Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Watch Tesla Shortcuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I have a question ref the Apple Watch Tesla Shortcuts.

I’m using the “Open Boot” shortcut in Siri on my Apple Watch. When I ask Siri to “open boot” it brings up an option on the screen saying “open” and “close”

The whole point of this shortcut for me is if I’m carrying the bairn in my arms or shopping etc and I can just ask the watch to open boot, all hands free, pointless if I’ve still got to touch the watch face to confirm an open.

I’ve looked into the details of the shortcut and can’t see anything to change there. Anyone any ideas how I can get this to work as

There are two shortcut commands for the boot from the Tesla app (you can view them in the shortcuts app and then scrolling down to the Tesla section);
1. Open Tesla Boot
2. Close Tesla Boot

If you say the above words exactly to Siri then it will do the action. If you want to customise what you say then you will need to make your own shortcut, name it whatever you want to say and then within that have it run the required Tesla command.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
There are two shortcut commands for the boot from the Tesla app (you can view them in the shortcuts app and then scrolling down to the Tesla section);
1. Open Tesla Boot
2. Close Tesla Boot

If you say the above words exactly to Siri then it will do the action. If you want to customise what you say then you will need to make your own shortcut, name it whatever you want to say and then within that have it run the required Tesla command.
So maybe this is the issue. I added the shortcut but then changed command to “open the boot” instead of “open Tesla boot”

Surely though that shouldn’t affect the inner workings of the shortcut?

So maybe this is the issue. I added the shortcut but then changed command to “open the boot” instead of “open Tesla boot”

Surely though that shouldn’t affect the inner workings of the shortcut?
If you go into the custom shortcut it offers up a selection to choose whether you want to open or close, and then you choose which vehicle you want it to apply to. Have you done that bit?

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Sorry, slight side track, but hopefully the audience, for this thread,can help me.

Each time I look at buying an Apple Watch I am put off by the plethora of options and I give up.

Is there a simple answer of what is actually worth buying (entry level? next one up? I expect there is nothing in Top End other than Bling/similar if so I don't need that). I can't even decide what sort of strap would be suitable ... let alone colour.

I haven't worn a watch in decades, so I doubt I would use it often to tell the time!, but I quite like the idea of knowing who is calling / texting without having to get my phone out of my pocket. Also quite like the idea of logging health-indicators. Maybe some Voice commands ...

Sorry, slight side track, but hopefully the audience, for this thread,can help me.

Each time I look at buying an Apple Watch I am put off by the plethora of options and I give up.

Is there a simple answer of what is actually worth buying (entry level? next one up? I expect there is nothing in Top End other than Bling/similar if so I don't need that). I can't even decide what sort of strap would be suitable ... let alone colour.

I haven't worn a watch in decades, so I doubt I would use it often to tell the time!, but I quite like the idea of knowing who is calling / texting without having to get my phone out of my pocket. Also quite like the idea of logging health-indicators. Maybe some Voice commands ...
Horses for courses really, but I'm on my second Apple Watch and both have been the smaller size (40/41mm), basic connectivity (no eSIM) and in the cheapest material (aluminium not stainless). I chose a nicer strap from a 3rd party seller (but beware of chinese rubbish!). I still have the first watch paired to my phone and only wear it for exercise/sports. My thought process when purchasing was that I very rarely go anywhere without my phone, and as long as it is in bluetooth range then the watch works in exactly the same way, or it can be connected to wifi and get notifications that way.

I did not think when buying the first one that it would be as useful as it actually is.

Reactions: WannabeOwner

I second most of what @ajmorr.is mentioned. But with a slight change, go for the 45 bigger size as gives a lot of space to work with when you are texting. But if you do lots of activities/gym stuff/cycling/trails etc., then the Apple watch Ultra is the way to go.

It is great at telling time, you can have Patek philippe face or Rolex or Richard Mille :)

Straps - Apple make some good ones (Milanese, magnetic link (alcanside makes a cheaper one), alpine loop blue) but have few back up options, these Italian ones are (link below) really good if you don’t want to spend loads of money on Apple. You can get some sports loop for gym activities etc., costs around £20-30, would suggest having 3 or 4 extra straps as they meet all occasions. These alcanside one I wear for daily use, very comfy. So don’t buy a very expensive just one strap as the one advantage of having the apple watch is you can have different straps and it will look new and good.

In terms of watch material - if you are sure about a particular colour then go for it as @ajmorr.is mentioned stainless steel or titanium are expensive but the watch glass is scratch proof - the aluminium ones glasses are not scratch proof but if you change watches every 5 or 6 years you should go for the aluminium one. But if you are going to just buy one watch and stick with it for the next 10 years then go ahead and invest in some titanium with scratch proof glass.

Btw, apple watches are very useful when you have to charge your car at night time especially in Winter when it gets dark early. I never can get hold of my phone or a torch - but my watch is always with me. I guess you have a tesla charger, so atleast do not have to worry about opening the charge port. Otherwise you can set up shortcuts or use siri or touch from watch for tesla.

The last one is whether to go with esim or not. I don’t have esim mainly because of the amount of travel I do with the phone. Also sometime all these roaming charges cost a lot and I always forget which one is set on roam etc.,As I carry the phone mostly it is easy for me. But with watch for tesla and other apps now making it easier to open the car and start without the phone, it will be great if we can completely ditch the phone and use only watch with esim and some headphones - you don’t want everyone to hear your conversations!

It is a very useful thing apple makes for iphone users. Attached the picture of watch face I normally use while in my car - has most functions I need and automatically switch to this as linked with shortcuts. It has got call, text, watch for tesla, weather, lifx, day, date and time.

incoming-AA49AD33-EF85-4054-829F-E830BB499E34.jpeg

Last edited:
Horses for courses really

Thanks both. Retail-therapy here I come :)

apple watches are very useful when you have to charge your car at night time especially in Winter when it gets dark early. I never can get hold of my phone or a torch - but my watch is always with me

I have movement-detecting lights on the outside of my house :) (And Tesla charger, as you guessed, with "button" to release)

By the by, my MS (and I presume MX too) has a button under the charger-flap to unlock the port. Surprised they haven't bothered to add that to M3/MY - the CCS flap is so huge there is plenty of room under there, and I am sure folk would find it a lot more useful than faffing around with "devices" to unlock the port. (I presume if Highland had that I would have read about it by now ...)

useful than faffing around with "devices" to unlock the port.
True. I tell myself it is an out and out US car and they never thought Tesla would become such a hit in other markets. I guess most of the houses there come with a garage and motion sensors/or lights inside rather than what we have here with a dingy dark drive way parking space with out any lights outside :)

Agree with most of what's been said about the watch. I recently moved to Apple from Google devices & picked up an Ultra 2 watch a couple of weeks ago. The main reason was the longer battery life, so I don't have to charge it so often. Even now, I still have to charge it every day or can just about manage to skip a day if I charge late in the evening. It does charge very quickly with a decent high-powered plug. The hands-free phone is really good too (bluetooth, not eSIM), people have told me they couldn't tell the difference between that & being on the actual phone.

I would definitely recommend going to a shop to try them out though. I have quite big hands & wrists and the official straps seem oddly small (even the large ones). The smaller watches are also too small for me, personally.

By the by, my MS (and I presume MX too) has a button under the charger-flap to unlock the port.

Does that rely on the phone being close enough to unlock the car? Otherwise it seems odd that anyone would be able to just unplug the car...

Let us know what you’ve got after your shopping frenzy - there is Black friday event to follow - though Apple rarely put their prized stuff on black friday events sometimes the previous version comes bit cheaper during those events.
I got my 2nd at a slight discount from John Lewis on a Black Friday event. There’s no choice of strap colours from them like there is from Apple but no bother if you’re swapping that anyway.