TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

iPhone audio setup Q

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by DCGOO, Mar 11, 2016.

1. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

How do folks generally set up their iPhone with the S, for normal operation?

I generally (always) run with my iPhone paired to the car, so the phone functionality works correctly. That part is flawless. The phone rings in the car, bluetooth audio is great, etc.

Typically though, I prefer to run with Tune-in or Slacker as the audio source (or even FM radio, although that is rare). What I have found is the car maintains a media connection to the iPhone, even when the iPhone is not selected as the audio source. This causes all secondary sounds the phone produces to be dumped. No text or email alerts are audible at all. In fact even a recording you might have been listening to away from the car, continues to play when you get in, yet is not audible because it is playing in to an audio input that is not selected.

I suppose it could be considered a good thing to avoid the distractions while driving. But I would like to at least know when an email or text comes in, even if just on the internal speaker in the iPhone.

Is there a setup option I missed, allowing iPhone audio to always be mixed with system audio? Or some other way to avoid the always on, but dumped if not selected, operation of the iPhone?

2. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Great point! I would love to find out the answer to this as well. My delivery is set for next Monday so I'll be able to tinker with the options when I get my MS.

3. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Nope. Nothing you missed. Operates as you described, unfortunately.

Unfortunate, because this could work like you wanted.

For example, if you are using Navigation with Maps on iPhone, you CAN get navigation prompts over the Tesla audio even when you are not listening to an iPhone source. Apple could add an option to send prompt over BT just like they did for Navigation.

4. steph37

steph37 Member

This is the case with Waze. You can decide if the driving instructions are going through BT or through the phone speaker.

5. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

All of my other cars do as you describe. The phone audio has higher priority than whatever source is selected. If I get a text, the current audio source volume is lowered to allow the text chime to be played. I like that feature and wish tesla offered it.

6. BertL

BertL Active Member