Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone audio setup Q

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DCGOO

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
How do folks generally set up their iPhone with the S, for normal operation?

I generally (always) run with my iPhone paired to the car, so the phone functionality works correctly. That part is flawless. The phone rings in the car, bluetooth audio is great, etc.

Typically though, I prefer to run with Tune-in or Slacker as the audio source (or even FM radio, although that is rare). What I have found is the car maintains a media connection to the iPhone, even when the iPhone is not selected as the audio source. This causes all secondary sounds the phone produces to be dumped. No text or email alerts are audible at all. In fact even a recording you might have been listening to away from the car, continues to play when you get in, yet is not audible because it is playing in to an audio input that is not selected.

I suppose it could be considered a good thing to avoid the distractions while driving. But I would like to at least know when an email or text comes in, even if just on the internal speaker in the iPhone.

Is there a setup option I missed, allowing iPhone audio to always be mixed with system audio? Or some other way to avoid the always on, but dumped if not selected, operation of the iPhone?

Is there a setup option I missed, allowing iPhone audio to always be mixed with system audio? Or some other way to avoid the always on, but dumped if not selected, operation of the iPhone?

Nope. Nothing you missed. Operates as you described, unfortunately.

Unfortunate, because this could work like you wanted.

For example, if you are using Navigation with Maps on iPhone, you CAN get navigation prompts over the Tesla audio even when you are not listening to an iPhone source. Apple could add an option to send prompt over BT just like they did for Navigation.

All of my other cars do as you describe. The phone audio has higher priority than whatever source is selected. If I get a text, the current audio source volume is lowered to allow the text chime to be played. I like that feature and wish tesla offered it.

That would be great. As you mentioned 2nd best, but still useful.
When I have my phone paired and waze on, I've never heard the nav instructions so I assume it's not possible.
File this under the real life daily use features that Tesla has not prioritized, or is just not interested in.

How do you get Waze instructions through the car speaker?

Ideally would like Waze to be integrated with the navigation system, but short of that, we really need to be able to hear the instructions from the phone!
If you are listening to music from the iPhone, you should be able to hear instruction from the iPhone. If listening to a Tesla audio source, the Tesla ignores iPhone audio.

That would be great. As you mentioned 2nd best, but still useful.
When I have my phone paired and waze on, I've never heard the nav instructions so I assume it's not possible.
File this under the real life daily use features that Tesla has not prioritized, or is just not interested in.
I hear the audio just fine, he has to enable the audio within the waze app