Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone key issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8597777F-D36D-4D11-99B6-5A66350E36DC.jpeg
I just purchased a new Model 3P and I absolutely love it. However, I’m having the hardest time getting my iPhone key to work reliably. About 25% of the time it will not unlock the car, and about 50% of the time it will not start the car (requires the card key to start it, or to manually hit start from the app). I’ve tried rebooting, uninstalling the app, repairing the iPhone key and also thr iPhone Bluetooth connection. The issue still persists. I’m using an iPhone 12 Mini.

Any suggestions?

I experience the same issues - I have to literally take the phone out of my rear pocket to unlock the car. iPhone 12, latest iOS, is set to Background App Refresh is On and Location is Always.

Is this normal behavior, or can Tesla fix the issue? I have a 2021 Model 3.

After 6 months working perfectly, my iPhone SE 2020 has become unreliable as a 'key'. Frustratingly, my wife has the same phone and her's works without fault. Like the OP, all permissions are as they should be and I have deleted and re-installed the phone as a key and also the Tesla app. I have also tried re-setting the phone

Did any of you ever find a workable solution apart from repeatedly switching bluetooth on/off or buying a key fob?

I actually have had very few problems over the last 2 months. I couldn’t tell you if it was one of the Tesla updates or an iOS update, but I would say it works 95% of the time now.

I can’t speak to the iPhone SE, but my guess is that the iPhone SE and my iPhone Mini have inferior Bluetooth compared to other phones due to their size. Your wife may be keeping her phone in a purse/bag? I keep my phone in my left front pants pocket, and I’ve noticed sometimes if I turn so the phone is facing the car, it is more responsive. Maybe that explains the differences you and your wife are seeing?

Good luck!

I had a similar issue. My phone is connected via Bluetooth, but stopped working as a key. Try this …go to locks and delete your phone as a key. Then using the Tesla app set up a new phone key.

Thanks both.

@mike224jb - In both cases we carry the phone, or mine is in a front pocket. The paradox for me is that is has worked perfectly this way since I bought the car in June, it's just in the last few days it has got progressively worse. Feels very much like a conflict from an update between car/phone?

@hcdavis3 - Yep, already tried that. It works first time then after a few minutes (presumably after car has slept?) we revert to 'will it/won't it'. Usually won't it.

Just had another try and I can stand next to the car with the Tesla app open on my phone and still can't open the door. Swapped to my wife's phone and the car opens exactly as it should.

Only difference - my phone is on software version 15.3 but hers is on 14.8.1. I guess that must be where the problem lies?

You can try deleting the app and reloading it, and reconnecting it to the car. I had to do that once and it fixed things. These are the issues we face with a software based vehicle.
Thanks - I've already done that and even gone as far as a factory reset of my phone. I have reached the conclusion that its a failing of my phone (iPhone SE 2020) due to either faulty bluetooth hardware or related to software version 15.3. As mentioned earlier, my wife also has the same phone and hers works perfectly, though she is still on an earlier software version.

I suspect I might have to bite the bullet and buy a key fob as my phone is out of warranty, though I might try my luck at the Apple store and see what happens.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Any updates would be welcome. I also have a 2020 SE and have really spotty unlocking with the phone.

2 things I noticed. Today my actual key card also refused to work. Wife was 300 ft away, but walking toward car, her phone was connected.

Also, my phone is basically full, so auto-quits apps all the time. This time, opening the app did not help with the key. Had to use the unlock button in the app.

ios 14.8 (18H17) - whatever that is...

Any updates would be welcome. I also have a 2020 SE and have really spotty unlocking with the phone.

2 things I noticed. Today my actual key card also refused to work. Wife was 300 ft away, but walking toward car, her phone was connected.

Also, my phone is basically full, so auto-quits apps all the time. This time, opening the app did not help with the key. Had to use the unlock button in the app.

ios 14.8 (18H17) - whatever that is...
After trying even a factory re-set on my iPhone SE 2020 I found the same problems continuing so booked at session at the Apple Store to look into it. My phone is out of warranty so I fully expected to get short shrift and to be sold a new phone. To be fair to them, they did seem to take it seriously and never mentioned 'upgrading' as a solution.

The 'genius' I met did point out that even the factory re-set may not have done the job anyway, as I had selected to 'restore data from back-up' which in his words could have re-imported the problem. His suggestion was to do the re-set again without importing backed-up data, so I went with that. Guess what - still not working reliably.

He did also acknowledge that there are 'known problems' with BT following recent updates and looking into it further myself it seems we are not alone with this issue. The expectation was that after OS 14.x problems updates would cure it, but I am now on 15.3 with no sign of a fix. In the wider context, I also get occasional messages from my Apple watch to tell me I've left my phone behind despite it being in my left pocket about 6 inches from my watch and my Apple BT earphones also loose connection from time to time.

As I mentioned previously, my wife's phone (SE 2020 OS 14.8.1) still works faultlessly so she won't be updating the OS on hers anytime soon.

TL/DR - needs a further update from Apple to fix 'known' BT problems. OS 15.3 doesn't cover it.

Solution - I've bought a key fob (cheaper than a new phone).