Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone notifications stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until recently I’d never seen a notification - hadn’t really thought about it until needing to use SCs recently.

After checking IOS/car settings - I had a look under settings in the app - and noticed Notications/Selected Vehicles showed Vehicles 0.

No reason I can see for this - although I did have the app installed prior to car allocation.

Tapped it, selected my car, it now says Vehicles 1. Notifications work now. Glad - because the day after I left my Mum in the car with walk away lock on - and guess the notification I got whilst in the Woodall services?!

From the diagnostics - it won’t be the fix for most of the reports here - but in case it helps a few passing readers worth mentioning my dumb-arsery.
Pretty sure mine says 1, but will check later.

Presumably even though yours said zero - you could see your car and control it? (opening windows, etc).

I’m on 2020.32.5 and did get a visual notification on my iPhone 6 but no sound, so I thought I would sign out of the app then back in before trying it again.
1) Left car in locked state, opened boot then left it unlatched. Result - no notification.
2) Unlocked car, left boot unlatched. Result - notification (when I opened the phone) but no sound.
3) Left car with driver side rear door unlatched. Result - notification (when I opened the phone) but no sound.
Looks like if the car is already locked, then there’s nothing to trigger an alert if the boot’s left unlatched.
Don’t know if it’s my (old) iPhone 6 that’s the reason for no sound, but I do get sound with other notifications.
Also the Tesla notification doesn’t wake up the display, so useless as an alert.

• Informative
Reactions: m3gt2 and Durzel
I had the same (or similar problem) to Pagemakers and others here but it has been fixed now, after I contacted Tesla. The problem started after I installed a recent software update in the car and all notifications to my iPhone 11 and iPad suddenly stopped working. I know how to set up the iOS and car for push notifications and checked that all of this was done correctly and that no settings had changed after installing the software update. The iOS on iPhone and iPad were also bang up to date and not recently changed. Installing subsequent Tesla update 2020.32.5 did not fix anything and nor did rebooting either car or mobile devices. However, iPhone Tesla App still worked fine for me apart from push notifications, including as key.
The problem was diagnosed and fixed immediately by Tesla when I contacted them - apparently after one software update a glitch in the matrix was caused with the Tesla Servers that made my car think it was at a Tesla service station when it wasn't! They explained that they routinely set the App to turn notifications off when you take your car to a service station "to prevent customers being bombarded by push notifications as diagnostics are performed at the service station". Simple reset by Tesla and now all works perfectly again. I don't know if this will be the same problem or fix for everyone not getting push notifications, but for Pagemakers and anyone else affected worth checking into - certainly seems to have worked for me.
By the way, I also lost voice control when my push notifications stopped working. I don't know if this was related but that is also now working perfectly again for me.

The problem was diagnosed and fixed immediately by Tesla when I contacted them - apparently after one software update a glitch in the matrix was caused with the Tesla Servers that made my car think it was at a Tesla service station when it wasn't! They explained that they routinely set the App to turn notifications off when you take your car to a service station "to prevent customers being bombarded by push notifications as diagnostics are performed at the service station".

Well that makes much sense. Thankyou.

Our car was in service mode when the 2020.32.2 update was offered to us. We picked up later that down and then performed the update. We ceased to get notifications starting with that install process - the exact sequence long forgotten. We actually had to turn off service mode ourselves before driving the car. So quite possible that systems thought the car was in service.

What doesn't make sense is that we started getting service notifications the moment we took the 2020.32.5 update. I cannot remember when I raised my concern with Tesla. That and another issue (fallout shelter awaiting update) both resolved themselves coinciding with the .5 update and a following download also marked as .5 but probably just the game.

I had the same (or similar problem) to Pagemakers and others here but it has been fixed now, after I contacted Tesla. The problem started after I installed a recent software update in the car and all notifications to my iPhone 11 and iPad suddenly stopped working. I know how to set up the iOS and car for push notifications and checked that all of this was done correctly and that no settings had changed after installing the software update. The iOS on iPhone and iPad were also bang up to date and not recently changed. Installing subsequent Tesla update 2020.32.5 did not fix anything and nor did rebooting either car or mobile devices. However, iPhone Tesla App still worked fine for me apart from push notifications, including as key.
The problem was diagnosed and fixed immediately by Tesla when I contacted them - apparently after one software update a glitch in the matrix was caused with the Tesla Servers that made my car think it was at a Tesla service station when it wasn't! They explained that they routinely set the App to turn notifications off when you take your car to a service station "to prevent customers being bombarded by push notifications as diagnostics are performed at the service station". Simple reset by Tesla and now all works perfectly again. I don't know if this will be the same problem or fix for everyone not getting push notifications, but for Pagemakers and anyone else affected worth checking into - certainly seems to have worked for me.
By the way, I also lost voice control when my push notifications stopped working. I don't know if this was related but that is also now working perfectly again for me.

Problem finally resolved.

It turns out the car thinks it’s in service mode from a previous Tesla home visit. When in this mode notifications are disabled.

I spent days bug testing with Tesla service, then I saw another forum post about this and forwarded it to Tesla. Today they came back to me and confirmed this was indeed the case and a Tesla glitch. They reset systems at their end and now all my notifications work again as they should.

Thank you @Strategium

Funnily enough, I was due a ranger visit back in August, which got pushed back to today due to a parts shortage and turned into a SC visit instead, and I’ve not had notifications for some time. I’m wondering if the visit that was supposed to happen put my car in some kind of service mode too.

I told the lady I dropped off the car to this morning about the lack of notifications, and the fact that it had been suggested on the forum that it could be due to the car thinking it was in service, and she said that it would show on the app if it was (as it did when it actually was in today). Obviously it wasn’t showing that before.

@Pagemakers who did you speak to in order to get this resolved? Was it an actual visit or a proactive phone call?

I told the lady I dropped off the car to this morning about the lack of notifications, and the fact that it had been suggested on the forum that it could be due to the car thinking it was in service, and she said that it would show on the app if it was (as it did when it actually was in today). Obviously it wasn’t showing that before.

Service mode is obvious. It has

Service Mode

splashed across the screen in big letters - you wont miss it.

This lack of notifications is obviously a different thing to Service Mode.

She’s wrong about it showing up in the app. It’s obviously not that “service mode” which I’ve seen before. You are not locked out of the app. The only thing you notice is the lack of notifications.

I scheduled a service and after doing so I got a series of human text messages asking me to test various things.

The last message was this...

Good afternoon XXX - MODEL 3 XXX, a great find there, we checked all of your previous appointments and found the very same glitch from a homelink appointment in April! After running a diagnostic routine the only service activity showing open now is this one. Please could you check to confirm that your APP is operating correctly again and let us know how it went?
Kind regards Tesla service.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
@Pagemakers who did you speak to in order to get this resolved? Was it an actual visit or a proactive phone call?

I raised a service request in the app - I thought that it has started and finished with a software update but it now seems that it was purely coincidental - offered 32.2 in app whilst car was in service and took 32.5 immediately before a game push that fixed another issue on same service request. So I suspect that this push was a result of remote diagnostics a few days before ranger visit that remotely sorted 2/3 problems. A few days later Tesla mobile asked if it had been resolved.

Further update from Tesla this morning...

Good morning XXX - MODEL 3, we hope that you are well, we have created this new service request to complete the over the air repair, remote diagnosis for your Tesla is now complete. Our Technicians have found that the service account settings for a previous service visit were preventing full use of the mobile APP, we have now resent the 'vehicle delivered' notification which has allowed full mobile app access. An appointment is not necessary as we have been able to fix the issue remotely. Should the situation reoccur, please reschedule the appointment. Thank you, Tesla Service

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Well, I don't really know where to go with this.

Picked up my car this morning, discussed the no notifications issue. To be fair to the lady that was dealing with me, she has been proactive about trying to resolve it. I showed her my phone with the above post on, and she "checked the garage system" and confirmed that according to that it had been delivered.

She telephoned me just now to ask me whether or not the vehicle was checked in the notification settings in the app, because apparently it can be unchecked (I verified this). I said it was checked, as it always has been. My phone settings have never changed.

It's a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but since the car isn't telling me if I've left anything open, and presumably will also not tell me if the alarm is going off - it has the potential to be a bigger issue.

Well, I don't really know where to go with this.

Picked up my car this morning, discussed the no notifications issue. To be fair to the lady that was dealing with me, she has been proactive about trying to resolve it. I showed her my phone with the above post on, and she "checked the garage system" and confirmed that according to that it had been delivered.

She telephoned me just now to ask me whether or not the vehicle was checked in the notification settings in the app, because apparently it can be unchecked (I verified this). I said it was checked, as it always has been. My phone settings have never changed.

It's a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but since the car isn't telling me if I've left anything open, and presumably will also not tell me if the alarm is going off - it has the potential to be a bigger issue.

This is from another forum...

My car was stuck in Transport Mode when I got it and it didnt say Transport Mode on the screen. It took a level 2 person 24 hours to fix the issue. Keep pushing them. Its likely your stuck in Service mode and they cant see it, just as I was stuck in Transport Mode and the people I called could not see it. A higher level tech needs to get involved.

Not Getting Notofications Anymore? (Android) - Page 3

I can't see how mine would be in Transport Mode. The guy who posted that suggested that he'd just got the car, so would make sense for it to be in that mode at that point. It's possible I guess, but unlikely I think.

I have an open mobile service appointment for October now, since a part that was supposed to be fixed in a mobile appointment in August, which got bumped to a SC appointment on Monday, also wasn't done then because the wrong part was ordered.. so I think I'm probably screwed for at least a while longer.

Thanks though.

I think it means if you have had your vehicle in for a service recently it is still in a semi-service mode. (Transport/delivery is their reference).

1) Has your vehicle been checked in for a service?
2) Have notifications stopped sine then?

If the answer to both is yes, you could have the same problem as me and a few others.