TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is 4.4 seconds vs 5.6 seconds alone worth $10k?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Jrhodesmd, Mar 29, 2012.

1. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Hey smorg, great work! It appears Model S is engineered to have max torque up to 60mph. WRT differences between Perf and non-Perf, we know that the non-Perf PEM, cabling, and Motor are good to deliver up to 900A to the motor whereas the perf upgrades that to 1200A.

I base my calculations on that and the assumption that there are no changes other than electrical dimensioning. That would mean 33% more torque, raising 415Nm to 553Nm (that is 305ft lb -> 407 ft lb). The flat torque curve reaches peak power at 5250rpm or 75kph/45mph. Between 45 and 60mph, the torque curve begins to drop but is still above non-Perf. Finally, above 60mph both cars should have similar acceleration.

I found the wikipedia entry on torque most helpful. 415Nm at 7000rpm gives 305kW.

2. Aieukl378

Aieukl378 Closed

I've always owned "pocket rockets" VW GTI etc. and I always thought those were pretty quick. My MS60 blows them out the water. There are no slow Teslas...it all depends what want: Fast, ludicrous fast or insane fast!

3. Buster1

Buster1 Member

Is the Tesla acceleration linear?

What I mean is that if you can do 0-60 in say 5.4 sec...what is 60-120? Also 5.4 sec?

Wondering how battery power and Perf packages help with highway passing and such, or not.

4. FlyingCookie

FlyingCookie Member

My current car will do 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds, and it's plenty quick for me. I haven't bought yet, but when I do purchase an MS, it's not going to be a performance version.

Part of that is because insurance goes up another $200 a month for me with the P... Something about being young and having speeding tickets and a performance car makes insurance companies uncomfortable...

5. cab

cab Member

Teslas are so quick they can even time travel back in time and resurrect 4 year old threads!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. FlyingCookie

FlyingCookie Member

Well, to be fair, the last post was roughly a month ago... I apologize for being a necromancer, however. :oops: