Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 4.4 seconds vs 5.6 seconds alone worth $10k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What we don't know is what differentiates the Perf model from the 85kWh non-Perf model in terms of torque and power curves.

Hey smorg, great work! It appears Model S is engineered to have max torque up to 60mph. WRT differences between Perf and non-Perf, we know that the non-Perf PEM, cabling, and Motor are good to deliver up to 900A to the motor whereas the perf upgrades that to 1200A.

I base my calculations on that and the assumption that there are no changes other than electrical dimensioning. That would mean 33% more torque, raising 415Nm to 553Nm (that is 305ft lb -> 407 ft lb). The flat torque curve reaches peak power at 5250rpm or 75kph/45mph. Between 45 and 60mph, the torque curve begins to drop but is still above non-Perf. Finally, above 60mph both cars should have similar acceleration.

I found the wikipedia entry on torque most helpful. 415Nm at 7000rpm gives 305kW.

I have a question I need to pose. I am considering upgrading to the performance. However, I wouldn't get either the carbon fiber interior or the performance rims - just not my color tastes. I don't really care about the exterior accents. Plus it would force me to go to the black interior from white - I can't have white alcantara with two kids, they will destroy that in a week. SO that leaves the question - is going from a 60 time of 5.6 to 4.4 really worth $10k? Is 5.6 "fast enough?"
I've always owned "pocket rockets" VW GTI etc. and I always thought those were pretty quick. My MS60 blows them out the water. There are no slow Teslas...it all depends what want: Fast, ludicrous fast or insane fast!

My current car will do 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds, and it's plenty quick for me. I haven't bought yet, but when I do purchase an MS, it's not going to be a performance version.

Part of that is because insurance goes up another $200 a month for me with the P... Something about being young and having speeding tickets and a performance car makes insurance companies uncomfortable...