Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a Model S refresh a good thing or bad thing for existing owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though I bought my Model S early last year I knew that I was on the forefront of something big... real big. But I never gave it much though about eventually being a collectible until last year when I was looking for my second one on the CPO web site. I was looking at Tesla Model S with a serial number < 1000 and I started thinking about 20-30 years from now. If Tesla becomes a dominant player in the auto industry these original Model S will truly be a collectible. So while an updated Model S might make ours look a little dated they're gonna wish they had the original in 20 years.

It's an interesting thought experiment but too hard to predict outcomes 20-30 years down the line. There are some indications that younger generations are less likely to care about cars in the same way that previous generations have and if that trend continues the "collectibility" of cars could drop off dramatically. Potential shifts away from the personal ownership model of car use could also have strong effects in this time period.

It's an interesting thought experiment but too hard to predict outcomes 20-30 years down the line. There are some indications that younger generations are less likely to care about cars in the same way that previous generations have and if that trend continues the "collectibility" of cars could drop off dramatically. Potential shifts away from the personal ownership model of car use could also have strong effects in this time period.

I completely agree.

Today's generation is all about throw away technology. Credit Apple with always pushing the next best thing. Not their fault as we are now a software driven society.

We are no longer able to buy a car and hope it lasts (non mechanical) for "X" number of years. Tesla has changed the landscape and no ICE vehicles can ever be able to change driving dynamics overnight.

I love driving "my car" but in 10 years we will be all about autonomous driving and summoning a vehicle (i think it will be really cool). Jay Leno will rot in his grave.

My P85 is old technology after 18 months. I'm going to get a new refreshed S with 100kWh battery next month. That car will be outdated as soon as 2017.

It's just part of the evolution.... Embrace and enjoy it...

There are always photos. Make sure you've got pictures of yourself and your family around your gorgeous inaugural Model S. And be sure to make stories with the thing so you can tell them later.

32k miles on our S in 2 years and now we have the X. We plan to keep making memories, taking road trips and leading the way into an EV future!

There are always photos. Make sure you've got pictures of yourself and your family around your gorgeous inaugural Model S. And be sure to make stories with the thing so you can tell them later.

32k miles on our S in 2 years and now we have the X. We plan to keep making memories, taking road trips and leading the way into an EV future!

Very cool. I'm thinking time travel (Back to the Future) as Tesla cars get so fast that they can transport you back to your original S85...

I am test driving today and most likely ordering as well.
I am torn by the potential refresh.
Even though it is 4 years old I think the current S is gorgeous as is.
I don't like the front of the X or 3 as much.
I think I will order and push delivery till June and see what next week brings.

I guess it depends on why you bought the car. If you did it to be the first on your block, then you'll likely be trading it in for the latest one. If you bought if for transportation, then a new model won't affect how your current car works.

Even though I bought my Model S early last year I knew that I was on the forefront of something big... real big. But I never gave it much though about eventually being a collectible until last year when I was looking for my second one on the CPO web site. I was looking at Tesla Model S with a serial number < 1000 and I started thinking about 20-30 years from now. If Tesla becomes a dominant player in the auto industry these original Model S will truly be a collectible. So while an updated Model S might make ours look a little dated they're gonna wish they had the original in 20 years.

In 20 years we'll all be focused on trying to survive the rapidly increasing impacts of climate disaster. So most people won't be thinking much about cars except perhaps those living in Florida or other coastal regions, who'll need a way to escape to dry land:)

I don't know what changes in the Model S will do to value of older cars, especially if the changes are mostly cosmetic. However, I'm sure some older car owners will complain they don't have the latest and greatest. For those who were able to afford a classic Model S while I was saving my pennies, you were able to enjoy your car while I drove around in my 1992 Buick (which is in good shape for its age, but it is 24 years old and an ICE).

I will probably be getting my car sometime this year (barring some kind of financial setback) and then in a year or two my car will be out of date too. It's the way things are when buying into an evolving technology.

In any case, even a 2 year old Model S is a better car in so many respects to the vast majority, if not all ICE cars out there, even the 2016s. The only thing better is a newer Tesla.

Reactions: ChadS and ohmman
Honestly, this is true for all cars,mincluding the Model S. Each new year or even partial year brings something new to the table. Sometimes it is something big, sometimes small. It can be a big feature like AWD or a more powerful engine/motor, or a smaller thing like a new interior trim or exterior color. For all tge talk about how Tesla "upgrades" their cars over the air, you are still subject to the limitations of what came on the car to some extent.

Rarely does a single feature a car make, although we have likely seen a bumber of folks "trading in" their Model Ses w/o autpilot for one with (hey, if you have the coin, go for it). Make no mistake though. At some point, Tesla will likely overhaul the Model S and everyone to date will gave "the old one".

Most amazingly to me is that years later, the Model S is STILL in a class of ONE!

Hmmm, I tend to disagree that it will be a collectible and so does my 1991 Mazda Miata with just 60K on the odometer that's worth maybe $4k. I had to wait 6 months for deliver and paid 20% over MSRP and it was destined to be a collectors item at the time. Maybe I just need to wait another 25 years for it to be collectible. 'No' says my 1985 Apple Macintosh that's sitting in its original box in my mother in law's garage rafters. Although I could probably sell it to some high school kid for $100 just as a novelty (my generous parents paid $1900 in 1985 which was big $$$ back then). Drive it until it's recycled and comes back again as a P500QL.

Hmmm, I tend to disagree that it will be a collectible and so does my 1991 Mazda Miata with just 60K on the odometer that's worth maybe $4k. I had to wait 6 months for deliver and paid 20% over MSRP and it was destined to be a collectors item at the time. Maybe I just need to wait another 25 years for it to be collectible. 'No' says my 1985 Apple Macintosh that's sitting in its original box in my mother in law's garage rafters. Although I could probably sell it to some high school kid for $100 just as a novelty (my generous parents paid $1900 in 1985 which was big $$$ back then). Drive it until it's recycled and comes back again as a P500QL.
^ yup, recent history suggests that collectables aren't just any old thing. I may have a Motorola flip phone around somewhere too...

Reactions: Wshowell
Consider: Tesla has shown a history of providing upgrades to older vehicles (Roadster). It's purely speculation, but perhaps the new changes will become upgrade options. Elon has previously hinted that if you have an 85kwh battery now, don't upgrade to a 90 unless you need to because better batteries are coming. What if rear-wheel drive 85 owners could add a front motor for $20k and now you have a P85D? I think this would be a solid revenue stream for Tesla and it would add value to an older Model S. In a way, it adds revenue capacity for Tesla without having to expand their production lines.

I purchased my P85D last year, minutes before the P90D was announced. I didn't care - and Tesla took care of the P85D owners with the upgrade path to Luda.

I like the look of the current Model S. I am happy with our car.

There is a lot of competition coming for the Model S, and competitors will be previewing more of them by this time next year. Tesla needs to keep moving the goal posts...

What makes a collectable valuable is something that was considered of little value when it was new and few people collected them, making them rare. A 1959 Edsel was considered a horrible car when it was new, but it's worth a lot of money today.

A friend of mine said he once worked with a guy who thought the Pontiac Fiero was going to be a classic. The guy bought one and put it up on blocks in a rented garage. He lost his shirt on the deal.

My SO has an original Mac packed up in the garage. It probably isn't worth much.