Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else mad?? How to get Tesla to listen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, I love my M3dm, best car I’ve ever owned. We gave a deposit within 24hrs of the unveiling of the M3, waited 2+ yrs for it.
I love how all of these start with how much they love the car, the company, Elon, how they were a reservation holder, and how long they've waited.

And yet the early adopters of the M3 have not received an update activating the new version of Autopilot to the early M3 owners.
Early adopters often trade higher prices and less features for early access. That's the same with almost every product and service out there. Your lack of understanding this concept is not Tesla's problem.

Am I wrong?
Yes, yes you are.

Tesla still hasn’t delivered anything yet after over a year and I can’t get a refund either.

This right here is the piece I agree with being mad about. Not being delivered AND not being able to get a refund is flat out wrong. Price changes happen; that doesn’t bug me. But not being able to get a refund on an undelivered product would make me mad.

I’m in a different boat since I bought post-EAP. I had to buy the FSD package if I wanted NoA, Autopark and lane changes on AP. Those are real, tangible and part of my FSD package. So I don’t have anything to complain about, but I totally understand your position - not getting a refund if desired on the “original” FSD - that would bug me too.

There are a couple different things being said here in this thread.

First the OP. The OP seems to be living in a world where they could buy their house for 400k, and 6 months later find out that their new neighbor 4 doors down with the exact same floorplan bought their house for 350k, and expect to go to the seller and get a retroactive refund of 50k. Yes, that is what the OP is asking for. NO, the fact that its "software" has ZERO bearing on it. There is no industry that I am aware of where someone makes a purchase, and 6 months later gets a retroactive refund because someone else pays less. That simply does not happen.

Tesla made a good will effort in the Model 3P with and without performance pack issue, and set a bad precedent.

I will never understand the entitlement that people who feel like OP are feeling because "someone else paid less than I did, so #@$@#%@#$%!$@!!!!!!

Now, with that being said, that position is completely different than the one that @Az_Rael is stating, which , at least to ME IS a valid position to take. THAT position is one that PRE PURCHASED "FSD". He paid for it at Price XXXX. That product has still never been delivered, and he is unable to return and or rebuy it.

I purchased EAP with no FSD last year in december when I picked up my car. It cost 5k. What is in EAP (enhanced autopilot) is what now is in autopilot + FSD. The only difference is the different bundling of the products. Anyone who purchased EAP + FSD prior to the re bundling still has not received a single feature that is NOT available to those who just purchased EAP. So, @Az_Rael and those in his position have not received a product but yet cant return it.

I understand THAT frustration for sure. I also appreciate the thoughtfulness in which @Az_Rael expresses it (more resignation really, but definitely some frustration). Those in that position should be rightfully frustrated because they havent received a product yet.

Those who feel like OP "I didnt buy AP with my car, but it cost as much as those who buy cars NOW with AP... so I want it free, how do I get tesla to give this to me??" I dont get what world they are coming from where they get retroactive refund after months of time because the price changes.

First, OP, I understand how you feel.
Second, unfortunately this is the way almost everything works in the world.

I'm normally the one that bashes Tesla, (Their service, their lack of communication, and their seemingly incapable of getting on the same page across the company), but this is an occasion where we get what we pay for.

All who bought a brand new phone on fresh release will likely be paying the most, the next generation phone may be cheaper and better, we can't ask for money back, can we?

I bought SR+ with AP for 40k, a month later, that became 39.5k with AP included for all models except SR. I can't complain about that. My car doesn't have HW3, but I knew that before buying the car, I made the decision with the help of countless people contributing on this forum.

Tesla is by no means a model car company, I don't think anyone on the forum can come out and claim Tesla being a great company.

For anyone who is looking to buy the car. YMMV.

You may get
  1. screwed on the transaction
  2. misaligned panels
  3. poor service
  4. range anxiety
  5. software malfunction
  6. who knows
But you will be driving past gas stations smiling at the ever increasing gas price, outrace virtually any non-tesla cars from stop, and anxiously wait for the next software update.

Reactions: alloverx and UTMB
For anyone who is looking to buy the car. YMMV.

You may get
  1. screwed on the transaction
  2. misaligned panels
  3. poor service
  4. range anxiety
  5. software malfunction
  6. who knows

YMMV? Yes. No different than any other transaction I’ve ever done for any product.

In my case;

1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Nope
4. Went away quickly
5. Minor. Reboot brought the garage opener back online. Still better than my Cadillac’s spurious “Service Transmission” message that wasn’t really an issue, just me shifting from P to D too quickly(??!!)
6. ??? What does that even mean ???

Reactions: SO16
If you think this is bad....try buying a car from a traditional OEM 6 months before a previously unannounced refresh. everything will be out of date, the value of your car will drop like a rock in a swimming pool and there won't be any software updates to help you maintain any sort of value on par with what you paid.

First world problems, man. Go enjoy the car you have.

Eh, it’s a fact of life for some people. If Tesla gives something for free to some but not others, then the people who paid will probably want their money back too. The $5k refund for the P+ was exactly that phenomenon. So my point to the poster who wanted AP for free was that would set off a storm for others who did pay based on what happened with the P models.

And, yes, I am salty about having paid $3k for FSD in 2017 that hasn’t had a single feature release, then watching Tesla lower the price for others later. Tesla still hasn’t delivered anything yet after over a year and I can’t get a refund either. Not sure what other industry you could order something, not have it delivered for over a year AND not be able to get a refund if you decide it has been too long. But, hey, to each his own if you would be satisfied with that situation I suppose.
To be fair to Tesla, the EAP/FSD you purchased appears to have a materially different description than the current description for AP/FSD. That doesn't mean you'll get more than what Tesla's currently selling with AP/FSD, but my feeling is that if you don't get more, specifically enough to satisfy the description of what you purchased (most trips with no driver intervention), then Tesla will end up refunding some of your original purchase.

If you think this is bad....try buying a car from a traditional OEM 6 months before a previously unannounced refresh. everything will be out of date, the value of your car will drop like a rock in a swimming pool and there won't be any software updates to help you maintain any sort of value on par with what you paid.

First world problems, man. Go enjoy the car you have.

No question. I sold my Caddy to a dealership to get out of the lease early (and into the Model 3).... nailed the timing. It’s been on their lot for a month and a half, they’ve dropped the price 3 times, still hasn’t moved. Tradein value is now $4k less than what they gave me. They’re going to end up selling at a loss.

So for those complaining about Tesla residual values .... that’s right across the industry. I still think we’re going to do better on residuals in the long haul vs ICE cars ... we shall see.

Reactions: SammichLover
We paid peak retail

I’m mad in the fact this group is being overlooked/ignored by Tesla.
sketch1543983805437.jpg

I am in the group that paid peak retail for no AP LR RWD too (In fact, we got two - his and hers.) I don't feel overlooked at all. Let's look at the facts:
  • When I ordered, EAP was a $5k option and FSD $3k for a total of $8k at purchase. The order page informed me that I would be able to get those options after purchase for $6k and $4k respectively for a total of $10k. I made the decision not to buy these options at purchase based on that information, thinking (mistakenly) that at anytime for the life of the car I could purchase at the $10k price.
  • Shortly after, the post-purchase price for AP/FSD went up, giving me a tinge of regret.
  • We then each had the 30 day trial with the option to purchase EAP for $5.5k, which we also declined.
  • I lost track of all of the variations in between, but as others have stated, we had the opportunity at one point to buy AP for $2k and FSD for $3k. This was $3k less than the at-purchase option and half the cost of the $10k I originally expected. (Still I didn't buy it - used the event to justify buying wider, lighter wheels, 200 treadwear tires and a BBK.) My wife did take advantage of the $2k AP on her car as she likes the TACC.
  • As of today, if I decided to add the option, I could get AP for $3k and FSD for $6k, which is still $1k less than what I was told it would cost to add it when I ordered.
Seems to me, I'm in a better position and Tesla has exceeded my expectations.

Oh, but I still have a complaint - Why can't an appropriate version of Track Mode be made available for non-P cars? I'd gladly pay up to have it as an option!

“Not more mad”.......I think there have been a lot of good points being made, and some being totally off base assine ones. The AP that’s standard is a shell of the AP that was offered as an option in June 2018. From what I can gather the current AP is close to an enhanced cruise control that many legacy car makers offer. Keeps the car in your lane and keeps pace with traffic in front. No lane changing or navigate on AP.

Like the “Whiney as some poster have used” PM3 owners that complained when they dropped the price and were taken care of. We’re talking approx 6 months. 5+k price drop on the same vehicle. On a car that’s selling well, no refresh or major hardware changes.

Tesla is not an ordinary car company, they pride themselves on constantly upgrading existing cars to keep them fresh that’s what separates them from an legacy car manufacturer

If Tesla only offered Sentry mode or rear heated seats to only new purchases, I’m sure quite a few people would complain that they’re car didn’t get the update and that they’re car has the hardware in place. Tesla has a history of making their cars better. If it’s now standard then imo all cars should have it. That’s the allure of buying a Tesla you’re car doesn’t get old so to speak. Tesla cars are constantly evolving why is this so different. Especially when Tesla touts this as a safety benefit.

View attachment 413249
I am in the group that paid peak retail for no AP LR RWD too (In fact, we got two - his and hers.) I don't feel overlooked at all. Let's look at the facts:
  • When I ordered, EAP was a $5k option and FSD $3k for a total of $8k at purchase. The order page informed me that I would be able to get those options after purchase for $6k and $4k respectively for a total of $10k. I made the decision not to buy these options at purchase based on that information, thinking (mistakenly) that at anytime for the life of the car I could purchase at the $10k price.
  • Shortly after, the post-purchase price for AP/FSD went up, giving me a tinge of regret.
  • We then each had the 30 day trial with the option to purchase EAP for $5.5k, which we also declined.
  • I lost track of all of the variations in between, but as others have stated, we had the opportunity at one point to buy AP for $2k and FSD for $3k. This was $3k less than the at-purchase option and half the cost of the $10k I originally expected. (Still I didn't buy it - used the event to justify buying wider, lighter wheels, 200 treadwear tires and a BBK.) My wife did take advantage of the $2k AP on her car as she likes the TACC.
  • As of today, if I decided to add the option, I could get AP for $3k and FSD for $6k, which is still $1k less than what I was told it would cost to add it when I ordered.
Seems to me, I'm in a better position and Tesla has exceeded my expectations.

Oh, but I still have a complaint - Why can't an appropriate version of Track Mode be made available for non-P cars? I'd gladly pay up to have it as an option!

I agree, I would love to see Tesla offer a track mode and a “sport” power upgrade as a package. Spilt the power level between the DM and PM. That I would pay for.

• I made the decision not to buy AP/FSD at purchase, thinking (mistakenly) that at anytime for the life of the car I could purchase at the $10k price.
Glad to see they've changed the language on the order page regarding FSD - this avoids the confusion I had when I ordered:
"Full Self-Driving Capability is available for purchase post-delivery, prices are likely to increase over time with new feature releases"

Three months ago that would have looked expensive. But the P3D wasn’t cheap, and after we drove that a bit we started talking about replacing the minivan with an X...

Now I look at that screen shot and I’m like, “that’s it?”
Same here. Kinda. My point is that if you built an M4 with the executive package, etc, (loaded with tech) they would still make active blind spot monitoring, a safety feature, a $500 option. When I was still shopping for a new auto I spent a few hours on the BMW website building X3s and M2s and X2s. Seems like they have expanded their standard safety equipment since I was there last.

First off, I love my M3dm, best car I’ve ever owned. We gave a deposit within 24hrs of the unveiling of the M3, waited 2+ yrs for it. We financially reached for the dual motor as we were originally planning on buying the standard M3 but at the time it looked like it was going to be an even longer wait and the dual motor just became available that June.

We paid Tesla 54k , no autopilot, black, this is the peak retail of what customers paid for a M3dm to Tesla. Today every M3 is sold w/autopilot standard (except supposedly the standard) for safety reasons and for less. And yet the early adopters of the M3 have not received an update activating the new version of Autopilot to the early M3 owners.

I’m mad in the fact this group is being overlooked/ignored by Tesla. We gave deposits on good faith, helped Tesla get these cars into production. I tried to call my advisor in Las Vegas and couldn’t get through. Relayed my frustration to my local dealer in Dedham MA. I was told the message would be relayed to the general manager. I have yet to receive a follow up call.

Am I wrong? Do other owners feel the same way? Sorry for the long post.

It Stings. But I saltue you and model S folks that made is possible for the rest of us. Out of respect, I will never cut off a model S, only BMWs

Thank you!

First off, I love my M3dm, best car I’ve ever owned. We gave a deposit within 24hrs of the unveiling of the M3, waited 2+ yrs for it. We financially reached for the dual motor as we were originally planning on buying the standard M3 but at the time it looked like it was going to be an even longer wait and the dual motor just became available that June.

We paid Tesla 54k , no autopilot, black, this is the peak retail of what customers paid for a M3dm to Tesla. Today every M3 is sold w/autopilot standard (except supposedly the standard) for safety reasons and for less. And yet the early adopters of the M3 have not received an update activating the new version of Autopilot to the early M3 owners.

I’m mad in the fact this group is being overlooked/ignored by Tesla. We gave deposits on good faith, helped Tesla get these cars into production. I tried to call my advisor in Las Vegas and couldn’t get through. Relayed my frustration to my local dealer in Dedham MA. I was told the message would be relayed to the general manager. I have yet to receive a follow up call.

Your car simple cost way more for Tesla to build at the time you purchased and you get exactly what you paid for and they don't own you anything, period.

There was production hell going on and the money they spend on machines, tools, spaces and workers. The battery also cost a lot more than today to produce.

They don't own you anything and stop calling Tesla for free stuff wasting resource.

Sounds like you have no idea how industry works, the first generation always cost more to produce because of the amount of money they already spend on development and machines, plus they have the machines, tools, workers sitting there battle with bottlenecks, that cost them a lot of money than you can imagine.

Barking all you can like a dog and I am actually having a smile on my face reading you barking like a loser. :)

And if you have time to barking, why don't you spend more time to improve yourself to make more income instead of barking on the forum?

• Disagree
Reactions: Ugene