Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AP cheaper to buy after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You would hope that $8,000 in software wouldn't be figured in on the price of a car for insurance purposes.
Why would you hope for that? The software is tied to the car, from what I understand, not to the purchaser. So, if you total your car on day #2, you just lost $8K. When I called Geico for a quote in CO and asked them specifically if they would be covering $8-10K in software costs as part of insurance, they had to do some asking around, but responded that yes, software costs can be included and covered.

CAN be, or ARE? Big difference. As noted, such options aren't usually listed when getting insurance, so you'd need to add a policy rider in order to have it covered, and presumably pay more to do so. Or, perhaps, for EAP / FSD, they'd have you pay less, because of the safety aspect?
I think only in UK they consider the safety aspect. I don't know whether the payment would be more and by how much. I was getting an approximate quote(CO) since I don't have the car and stated to them the car would be $50K plus 8 or 10K in software based on when added and asked what the premiums would be with same attributes as my other cars i.e. $500 deductible and coverage limits I think 100/300/100. This was a while ago so I forgot the exact quote, but it was in $600-800/6mo range, so I figured ~$100/mo is manageable. They stated if I totaled the car, they would cover car cost plus software. I may need to refresh this quote closer to delivery to make sure.

No savings in Oregon. We don't have a sales tax and vehicles registration fees are based on the vehicle type, not price. Looks like $172 for the first four years, but there has been of discussion of an extra fee for electrics, since they would not be generating any fuel taxes.

As far as a discount on insurance, technically, if you add substantially to the value of the car you should let your insurance company know so that, as has been mentioned, they can add the additional $ into any sort of claim if you total your car.

On the other hand, there are already insurance companies out there that offer a discount when you use autopilot, as more of them begin to do the same, you may find that getting AP at the time of purchase ends up saving you more.