Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AP2 worth $10k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it were me I'd seriously consider a brand new fully loaded Model 3 Performance. With the $3,750 government credit you're looking at $63,250 with AP 2.5, which will be upgradeable for free to AP3, and even more future proof than AP 2. And, of course, that includes the full 4 year 48K mile warranty.

I've had my 2016 MS for 2 years and have yet to use a Supercharger. Despite having one within about a mile of my office, to me it's not worth the inconvenience and I'd rather just charge at home. Unless you plan on doing a lot of long trips I'm not sure free Supercharging is really that important.

I'd say probably not. Save the $10k. Put $5k away to self-insure against future repairs, or buy the Extended Service Plan for $4500 as insurance. If you put $5k into TSLA today, imagine what that will be worth in 3 to 5 years or 2024 when the ESA would end.

So the stock price is around $302 this morning, Jan 21, 2019. Will the $5000 be worth more, or less, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years from now? Who knows. Anybody care to guess?

I don't think they were all affected. After 21000 miles, my 90 kWh battery is only down about 2.5%. I've seen older 90 kWh batteries (different part number) with the same miles which were down 20% or more.
We are talking about supercharging rate. Not the degradation. I use to charge at 115kw peak brand new. Now I barely get 92kw peak. And it doesn't matter the miles. It matters the number of supercharging sessions.

• Disagree
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We are talking about supercharging rate. Not the degradation. I use to charge at 115kw peak brand new. Now I barely get 92kw peak. And it doesn't matter the miles. It matters the number of supercharging sessions.
You might've been referring to supercharging rate, but in post #20 above, however I was referring to battery pack degradation. All 90s do not have the same battery degradation.

I think most on here refer to it as "reduced Supercharging rate", not a Supercharging "degradation problem". Degradation refers to how much the battery's max charge decreases over time, not how the Supercharging rate is intentionally reduced the more one Supercharges

As for Supercharging rate, I believe I still get 115 kW but it's been a while since I last Supercharged.

You might've been referring to supercharging rate, but in post #20 above, I was referring to battery pack degradation. All 90s do not have the same battery degradation.

I think most on here refer to it as "reduced Supercharging rate", not a Supercharging "degradation problem". Degradation refers to how much the battery's max charge decreases over time.

As for Supercharging rate, I believe I still get 115 kW but it's been a while since I last Supercharged.
Very few 90kwh pack have your degradation problem. Slow supercharging rate is a type of battery pack degradation. The op mentioned supercharging as a reason to buy. Supercharging often will cause slower supercharging speed.

Buying my first S. Found a couple 2016 90D with the facelift for sale, both qualify for free supercharging.

One has AP1 for 60k
The other has AP2 for 70k.

Pretty much same mileage, 25k. I plan on keeping this car for 3-5 years and can't for the life of me figure out if the AP2 is worth the additional 10k.

Thoughts?
FYI, I bought a 2017 Model S with 23,000 on it from Enterprise, it was a leased car...Enterprises loaners are Tesla’s, I I would try and find a car from Enterprise coming off lease. The one a bought was fully serviced with new Michelin tires.The nice thing about buyinga leased car is they make the leasee turn the car in in perfect condition

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus