Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Auto-pilot harsh on brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive played with this extensively during my commutes. I find that the AP does indeed utilize the brakes more than regen in some situations. My theory is that the car cant see as far ahead as I can (and/or make out the traffic at that resolution) and as such, it needs to react with more abrupt stopping force to meet the deceleration delta between you and the car in front. Part of this is based on my playing around with the follow distance selection, as setting it to 7 definitely helps reduce braking and increase regen use over lower (closer) settings.

That is my therory at this point as well.

My theory is that the car cant see as far ahead as I can (and/or make out the traffic at that resolution) and as such, it needs to react with more abrupt stopping force to meet the deceleration delta between you and the car in front.

That's my theory as well, from when I had an AP loaner for a week. I drive it on the windy highway to my cabin and back and it slowed down to make corners at a much closer distance than I do, then slowed down much more abruptly, simply because it could see not the corner until it was much closer to it than where I can see it from. I wonder if AP2.0 will look further and smooth out the abrupt braking.

Was it due to wear-and-tear, or some fault? Normally brake pads take the brunt of the punishment. The rotors usually survive many sets of pads.
Nothing about the pads needing replacement. Rotor kit or something to that effect was what showed on the work order.

Symptom is a shuddering on braking lightly-moderately at 55mph and above. Definitely not ABS pulsation.

I do know that there was at least one other owner who reported repeated rotor replacements. I'm pretty sure that was on a non-AP MS.

"Is Auto-pilot harsh on brakes?"

IMHO, with a setting of 5 on distance keeping, except for the occasional car/truck slowing as the pull out of my lane, the vehicle seems to utilize the regenerative braking in the same manner I do manually, reducing speed gradually to allow the most absorption of energy back into the motors and the battery. I seldom see the car jump on the brakes to reduce speed at that distance. Closer settings though, yes the braking appears more last minute oriented.

I believe that only upon instant braking (either manually or TACC) would the brakes be taxed more via either driver or AP.

However, because they are such fun vehicles to drive and going up winding mountain and seaboard roads is likely more common and drivers like to push the limits of their Teslas (especially those that crave the performance metrics of the P/D/L/I (Performance, Dual, Ludicrous, Insane) features of an all electric vehicle, I could understand the additional wear and shortened life of the rotors.

Selecting the proper combo of tires, rims, and suspension for the type of driving you intend to do is important to getting the most out of your EV, whether you like it for performance, range or just awesome looks!

Last edited:
Nothing about the pads needing replacement. Rotor kit or something to that effect was what showed on the work order.

Symptom is a shuddering on braking lightly-moderately at 55mph and above. Definitely not ABS pulsation.

I do know that there was at least one other owner who reported repeated rotor replacements. I'm pretty sure that was on a non-AP MS.
Could be warped rotors, maybe a manufacturing defect. They can also be re-machined pretty easily, but not as easy as just putting new ones on.

That's my theory as well, from when I had an AP loaner for a week. I drive it on the windy highway to my cabin and back and it slowed down to make corners at a much closer distance than I do, then slowed down much more abruptly, simply because it could see not the corner until it was much closer to it than where I can see it from. I wonder if AP2.0 will look further and smooth out the abrupt braking.
Agreed. I often look many hundreds of metres ahead and start coasting (then gentle braking) if know I'll have to slow down.