Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot camera recalibration ever needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voucher2002

"You can observe a lot by just watching"...YB
May 31, 2019
Round Rock, Texas
New owner here. SR+RW without EAP. When I originally picked up my car I didn’t realize that my cameras would calibrate themselves (and needed calibration to work properly) over a short period of time and miles. My first experience with autopilot was tentative about 4 days later. I engaged autopilot with auto steering on, while driving on a clearly marked and separated 4 lane highway. ( route 32 in Maryland). The car seemed to “float” in the right lane between the lane markers and constantly corrected the turning arc around curves. I felt uncomfortable. Every time I approached an area where vehicles entered the highway in the last 30 feet my car inevitably would attempt to find the right white line at the far right side of the merging lane. The first time this happened I promptly regained control, disconnecting the auto steering. I tried it again and the car exhibited the same behaviour. This time I let go and it moved to the right, keyed on the lane marker and then found the center of the lane and continued on. I think the car behind me must have thought I was drunk! Is this normal? Unsettling for sure. Do my cameras need recalibration? Does the choice of one the three available steering modes have any effect on auto steering?
I actually love driving this car so if this the best its going to be my hands will remain firmly on the steering wheel in the future.

If you are asking that you need to take in your car to calibrate cameras. No, not unless they are damaged in some odd way and possibly need replacement.
No, steering modes do not affect it. It's more of a self calibrating system than a manual one.

It is sounding like you are concluding that the lane issues are somehow related to improperly calibrated cameras. No, that is not the case. It's just that AP software isn't quite performing the way you want at this time. Hopefully, future software updates improve on this, as they usually do.

New owner here. SR+RW without EAP. When I originally picked up my car I didn’t realize that my cameras would calibrate themselves (and needed calibration to work properly) over a short period of time and miles. My first experience with autopilot was tentative about 4 days later. I engaged autopilot with auto steering on, while driving on a clearly marked and separated 4 lane highway. ( route 32 in Maryland). The car seemed to “float” in the right lane between the lane markers and constantly corrected the turning arc around curves. I felt uncomfortable. Every time I approached an area where vehicles entered the highway in the last 30 feet my car inevitably would attempt to find the right white line at the far right side of the merging lane. The first time this happened I promptly regained control, disconnecting the auto steering. I tried it again and the car exhibited the same behaviour. This time I let go and it moved to the right, keyed on the lane marker and then found the center of the lane and continued on. I think the car behind me must have thought I was drunk! Is this normal? Unsettling for sure. Do my cameras need recalibration? Does the choice of one the three available steering modes have any effect on auto steering?
I actually love driving this car so if this the best its going to be my hands will remain firmly on the steering wheel in the future.

Just want to make sure here that you are actually turning on lane keeping in addition to TACC? TACC is enables with one single right stalk down press. To enable auto-steer, you have to immediately do a second down stalk. Then the steering icon on the display will turn blue.

Just trying to make sure we are all on the same page here.

After a firmware update back in April followed by a startling unexpected emergency braking event, I called service to see if the logs were useful.. not really but they asked how many miles since the update as the cameras needed to recalibrate. Hmm .. sounded like it needed 100-200 miles of calibration based on what they said which is a lot more than the initial 'training' miles I thought.

The preference for the right lane marker is something that always concerned me as well, I've not been on the road that really set it off in a long time so I can't say whether it's improved over time.

It is simply that the AP S/W fundamentally want to center the Tesla between the lines (lanes). So until the S/W becomes sophisticated enough to compensate (perhaps use left line only for a period of time) at on ramp or intersections, it is an issue the DRIVER must be aware of and ready for.

On a four lane highway such as the OP describes, I choose - and would recommend - one of the middle to lanes until my exit is within a mile or so. Then is it disconnect AP and be the driver in command. NoA, is an entirely different discussion.