Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is autopilot worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought EAP when ordering and the FSD upgrade when it was priced at $2000. Yesterday on the way home from picking up my car at the ppf installer, I lost the lane centering ability of TACC and NOAP. Car no longer steers to stay centered in the lane. Goes straight on curves and wanders when straight. When I first got the car, EAP worked perfectly in thick, heavy fog. Have an appointment at the SC next week....now I'm questioning what I bought !!

The other day I had a look at the in-car UI for purchasing AP during my trial just to see what it would be like, and I got this error, anyone else getting this? It persisted across multiple attempts on multiple days.

F5DC01B8-7FD0-45BB-942F-5CAF9A9F2DBE.jpeg

Also, my trial was only 30 days, but everywhere I'm seeing 60. Did they change that? SR+ with no AP options delivered 3/14, trial activated within a couple days. I wanted to try out advanced summon before my FSD trial runs out...

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Elon just tweeted that starting 5/1 the price of FSD will start increasing dramatically because of its "constantly increasing value". I hope that won't continue forever since it seems at odds with his previous stated goal of getting self driving to as many people as possible. I was hoping to purchase it later down the line if/when it becomes cheaper and more capable. Right now it's pretty much never been useful in my area due to the weather and traffic patterns.

As I wait patiently for my car, I initially declined autopilot a time of order, mainly due to cost.

My question is, is autopilot worth the price? Just wondering if I should add it to my order.

Thanks in advance.

Model 3/SR+/black/white/RWD
Hey, I think auto pilot is 100 percent worth it if ur ganna use it. I use mine on a daily bases but if ur not ganna use it then there is not point of getting it.

image.jpg

Same for me.

The other day I had a look at the in-car UI for purchasing AP during my trial just to see what it would be like, and I got this error, anyone else getting this? It persisted across multiple attempts on multiple days.

View attachment 396117

Also, my trial was only 30 days, but everywhere I'm seeing 60. Did they change that? SR+ with no AP options delivered 3/14, trial activated within a couple days. I wanted to try out advanced summon before my FSD trial runs out...

If I had to buy the car again and had the option to pass on AP or EAP, I would. I drive mostly local roads and while AP works well, it doesn't go beyond 5 mph over the speed limit and will make other drivers very angry around here on some roads. In stop and go driving it has the potential to work well, but it stops too far away and accelerates just a bit too slow where other drivers will just try to overtake you. This probably doesn't apply to everyone depending on how dense the traffic is where you live. And finally when on the freeway during rush hour, it takes more effort monitoring AP than just driving myself.

Reactions: moshee
If I had to buy the car again and had the option to pass on AP or EAP, I would. I drive mostly local roads and while AP works well, it doesn't go beyond 5 mph over the speed limit and will make other drivers very angry around here on some roads. In stop and go driving it has the potential to work well, but it stops too far away and accelerates just a bit too slow where other drivers will just try to overtake you. This probably doesn't apply to everyone depending on how dense the traffic is where you live. And finally when on the freeway during rush hour, it takes more effort monitoring AP than just driving myself.
My AP does whatever speed I set it at. +15 is the highest I have gone but +5 is not the limit.

Tesla should do monthly pricing plans just like most softwares. Provide it as a subscription like Netflix, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. This way the company gets incoming cash flow constantly and if people don’t like it they can cancel the subscription or if they sell the car they don’t “lose it”.

I am not sure if I replied to this topic or not, as so many new topics have been created on this, but I will reiterate again - Autopilot is worth every penny and more. I paid $5k when I bought my M3 last year and for me it is worth much more. It is the best stress reliever that has been made since they invented automatic transmission. And increases safety too in rush hour traffic. I hate it when I drive a car with no AP.