TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is Faraday Motors The Apple Car?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by muleferg, Nov 9, 2015.

1. muleferg

muleferg Member

2. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

A very apt analogy. Einstein explained the photoelectric effect; others devised the applications. Faraday discovered the laws of electromagnetism; others developed the applications.

And no, this is total random speculation; I doubt it has anything to do with Apple.

4. Branzo90D

Branzo90D Salt and Pepper

Well, Michael Faraday did, in fact, show that a wire could be made to move in an electric field, thus changing electrical energy into mechanical energy. Faraday was not interested in commercial exploits of science, so never exploited this himself. It is very likely that Nikola Tesla used this work, and others that followed, in his quest to "electrify" the world. Scientists' work is always based upon those who preceded them. To give Faraday no credit for the electric motor is the same as giving Einstein no credit for the solar panel. Clearly, neither "invented" either item, but their work contributed the most important scientific basis for those later inventions.

"Just my opinion. I could be wrong." ---Dennis Miller

5. jdw

jdw Member

Every article I've seen on Faraday Future references "taking on Tesla" or "going after Tesla". As far as I can see, Faraday Future, along *with* Tesla are taking on GM, Toyota, BMW, Honda etc. as the market to replace gasoline cars is enormous compared to the small market based on poaching a few Tesla sales. Media is still refusing to accept that long term, the ICE is a dead man walking.

Imagine what kind of business plan features investing several billion dollars to go after a company that is selling 50,000 cars a year ...

6. strider

strider Active Member

Faraday has said they've going after the high end. Not Apple's car.

7. Olle

Olle Member

+1!

8. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

Apt observation. I used to work for Lutron, who are the world leaders in dimming technology. When interviewing they always ask a trick question: "who is Lutron's biggest competitor?" Most would answer Leviton, Cooper wiring devices etc. Lutron's answer: The light switch.

Always aim higher.

9. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

+1
    Well said

10. tga

tga Active Member

11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Well while we are passing out early credit:

1883: Charles Fritts, an American inventor, creates the first working solar cell. "The energy conversion efficiency of these early devices was less than 1%. Denounced as a fraud in the USA for "generating power without consuming matter, thus violating the laws of physics“

12. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

13. ScepticMatt

ScepticMatt Member

I don't get why Apple would want Chinese investors, unless they want to deliberately obfuscate outsiders. Apple are siting on an enormous pile of offshore cash.

So my guess is that this rules out Apple.

14. matbl

matbl Member

I might be a little to much on the european or nordic side on this. But isn't the controlling majority information in a company public information? It is here, I can just search any company (including unlisted ones) and see who owns them if owned by another company. Otherwise I can see things like board of directors, ceo, etc.

15. ScepticMatt

ScepticMatt Member

Faraday Future is privately held. They are hiding who their CEO is.

16. strider

strider Active Member

And Apple doesn't outsource product development. Production, yes, but not product development.