Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD worth to buy now for Model Y ?

Is FSD worth it to get for Model Y for $7K ?

• Yes

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 59.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I got my Model Y last week. I just have the basic AutoPilot. I read that FSD prices are going to increase from this July 1st onwards. I'm interested to get it. I would like to get your opinion if its worth $7K now? I read somewhere that Tesla will be planning to get subscription based FSD services. Is this true ?

I dont do daily highway driving to work and I work remote from home 50% of my time. My wife drives the Model Y sometimes to her work. We both do mostly city driving during weekdays. Only on weekends when we go out we do take the freeways. This is our first Tesla car.

I'm still debating if the FSD is woth it or not ?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Hello Everyone,

I got my Model Y last week. I just have the basic AutoPilot. I read that FSD prices are going to increase from this July 1st onwards. I'm interested to get it. I would like to get your opinion if its worth $7K now? I read somewhere that Tesla will be planning to get subscription based FSD services. Is this true ?

I dont do daily highway driving to work and I work remote from home 50% of my time. My wife drives the Model Y sometimes to her work. We both do mostly city driving during weekdays. Only on weekends when we go out we do take the freeways. This is our first Tesla car.

I'm still debating if the FSD is woth it or not ?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Here are some thoughts about FSD:

Got $7K: Buy FSD or TSLA Stock? What Would You Do?

Reactions: DaveMike11
No not really. When my Tesla Model 3 performance got totaled and I lost my full self-driving, when I talked to Tesla about replacing my vehicle they said that I would have to pay for full self driving again. I used to think that we were partners with Tesla and we were working for a better future, but Tesla is no different than any other company. Their purpose is to create a profit for their billionaire owner, buying full self driving means you will not get full self-driving. I spoke with Tesla that full self driving was never delivered and they said that sorry, you will have to pay for the software all over again. Tesla is not your friend they are a simple company trying to make a profit and they are not your friend.

The best feature that I like is the Autolane Change. It has worked very well for me. It has safely Autolane Changed in cases that I could not manually do it myself prior to buying FSD both in the city and freeways.
And paying for this feature your insurance company will not consider it in your settlement it will poof be gone. And Tesla will demand you pay again.

There are two reasons to buy FSD: 1) features today, 2) features coming in the future. You need to decide if 1bor 2 justifies the price. If you are financing the car at 2.5% (common rate right now) then it costs about $105/mo. To me 1 or 2 justify that, so it was an easy choice. Since the OP was asking about after purchase, that may or may not apply.

for those complaining about FSD being tied to the car, show me one car company where options like better navigation transfer to another car. One thing I did hear, is that if ordered with the car the VIN is quoted as having FSD for trade in and insurance purposes. It might be harder to get post-sale FSD covered in insurance.

And paying for this feature your insurance company will not consider it in your settlement it will poof be gone. And Tesla will demand you pay again.

It's not fun to get into an accident so what you experienced is true but I still think it is well worth the $7,000 that I will lose when my car is totaled in an accident and I will have to pay additional $8,000 (after July 1st) again when I buy another Tesla.

I agree with everyone on the insurance thing but my biggest hang up is that FSD has to pass Fed approval and who knows how long that could take. Has Tesla even start that processes?, doubtful.

My guess is that true FSD will be years out and who knows how many changes it will make during that time and for those reason I am out.

Reactions: jimmym1981
The current features it offers are not worth $7,000. Any time anyone ever says they love FSD, the site that it makes their driving easier by handling traffic etc. Everything they list they love about FSD are the things that regular Autopilot can do. The only thing anyone ever sites is automatic lane changing. Is automatic lane changing worth $7,000? In my opinion, no.

If you are afraid of the oncoming increase in price/FOMO, don't be. Take that $7,000 and buy 7 shares of TSLA stock. When the stock goes up another $200 per share, you have $8400 and you can buy that new $8000 FSD with whatever new features may or may not be worth it at that time.

I caution you that no matter what software features you pay for, Tesla will never honor it if you have to replace your vehicle and your insurance company will never cover it.
I bought FSD for my Model 3 many months after taking delivery, then this past January the car was totaled. Our insurance company did have a line item in the paperwork used for determining what they paid us for Full Self Driving. Ordered the replacement Model 3 with FSD and also ordered the Model Y with FSD. It is scheduled to be delivered on 6/27.

Money well wasted unless you will keep the car till 2030 rent it in 2031 as robotaxi and make 60k in profit until 2033
and will have to donate it to 1800 kars for kids since it has a taxi smell and too gross to go in it but hey you made 60k
Now you can buy a new Model Z that have a range of 2500 Miles and dosnt have a steering wheel and probably
will serve you coffee while you watching a movie on 55" windshield

Some of your decision should be based on your local road conditions too. Our roads here on Long Island are so poor in some places that you are literally weaving in and out of lanes to avoid ruts and potholes that would tear up tires and damage suspension if not avoided. FSD would be a disaster here as it doesn't see potholes, etc..