Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD worth to buy now for Model Y ?

Is FSD worth it to get for Model Y for $7K ?

• Yes

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 59.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any verified answer on if/when standard insurance policies cover FSD? E.g. if added at time of purchase, and therefore on the MVPA/sticker etc., would insurance cover in a total loss? Versus being added after the fact?
I can verify that insurance will cover FSD added after purchase in a total loss situation. I provided the invoice where FSD was added. Insurance company was USAA.

No not really. When my Tesla Model 3 performance got totaled and I lost my full self-driving, when I talked to Tesla about replacing my vehicle they said that I would have to pay for full self driving again. I used to think that we were partners with Tesla and we were working for a better future, but Tesla is no different than any other company. Their purpose is to create a profit for their billionaire owner, buying full self driving means you will not get full self-driving. I spoke with Tesla that full self driving was never delivered and they said that sorry, you will have to pay for the software all over again. Tesla is not your friend they are a simple company trying to make a profit and they are not your friend.
So you thought the company you entered into a financial transaction was going to be your friend? It’s a business like any other, that isn’t any great revelation. A business has an obligation to its stockholders to generate profit not friendship. I don’t think I’ve ever heard them say anything remotely like if you buy a car from them they will be your friend.

Last edited:
For me, the 6k I spent on FSD is all the difference, well worth the money, but that's me. Without NOA the car wouldn't be much to write home about. I commute 150 miles x 2 once a week. Most of my driving is on low traffic interstates in Montana. I just activate the NOA, with my hand on the wheel the car does the rest. Regular AP sucks at that. For driving otherwise I do it myself. For me, the software is more trouble than it's worth for city/back road driving.

I would wait until its a subscription model and try it then; save the 7k or invest it for now. This FOMO stuff is getting out of control with the price raises. Every day, a new user reports a big issue that the car wouldn't be able to handle without supervision. Chalk it up as you will always have to pay attention and nudge the wheel for the foreseeable future.

By the end of this year, we should know more about IF it will ever truly come to fruition with the rewrite. I personally do not think the current car lineup will ever be able to do FSD without driver intervention. Sure lane changes are great, but in the end, 7K is still 7K...soon to be 8K!

Reactions: DaveMike11
Never buy a product that doesn’t exist or one that is promised to exist without a guarantee. I bought my first Tesla in 2016 and Tesla never delivered the full AP features that were promised way back then. Since 2016 I have purchased 6 new Teslas and the last 3 have been base AP which does almost everything that our FSD Tesla does but base is included in the car purchase price. We just traded one of our Teslas in with base AP and sold another with base AP and if we paid for the upgrade our total benefit of buying FSD would have been roughly zero

When my Tesla Model 3 performance got totaled and I lost my full self-driving, when I talked to Tesla about replacing my vehicle they said that I would have to pay for full self driving again

Which is exactly correct, and to the letter of the agreements you signed. I'm glad Tesla doesn't have special exceptions for you or anyone else. The goal is to be fairly treated according to the agreements we sign. As noted elsewhere in the thread, insurance companies will compensate for FSD feature, just like they would for "performance" model or other options.

Reactions: mazers
Can anybody prove that this directly increases your insurance quotes?
If anything, it should decrease your cost for insurance as it has been proven that there have been less wrecks/mile with autopilot/FSD than without:
Q1 2020. In the 1st quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.68 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.99 million miles driven.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
If anything, it should decrease your cost for insurance as it has been proven that there have been less wrecks/mile with autopilot/FSD than without:
Q1 2020. In the 1st quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.68 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.99 million miles driven.
I agree. And when I got a quote from my insurance company (without the VIN) they didn't ask about FSD at all. To my knowledge the tesla VIN does not directly include any reference to FSD or not. So if they are pricing from the VIN, it would not include the added FSD price. I suspect insurance would be the same, the only difference is you are investing in FSD on that car forever.

Reactions: jimmym1981
And paying for this feature your insurance company will not consider it in your settlement it will poof be gone. And Tesla will demand you pay again.
But the at-fault driver's insurance MUST include that in the settlement. The injured (as in car totaled) party is entitled to be made whole by the at-fault actor.

Too many people rely on their own insurance companies to squeeze the at-fault insurance, then point to "my insurance company said..." Obviously, uninsured or hit-and-run recoveries are subject to your policy terms with your own insurance.

Not to be that guy, but a problem with that report was they were not clear on the accidents without autopilot were they in conditions were autopilot could have even been enabled. Typically autopilot is used on long stretches (racking up lots of miles) that have a lower rate of accident per mile anyway. It really isn't comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmym1981
I should add that, for me, the car wouldn't be much without FSD/NOA. Autopilot will keep the car within one lane but does not deal with the entire road and traffic. Meaning for any highway trips NOA is the thing. If you never plan to take a highway trip no worries, otherwise all the difference. Approximately 0% of us don't use the car for highway trips.

Not to be that guy, but a problem with that report was they were not clear on the accidents without autopilot were they in conditions were autopilot could have even been enabled. Typically autopilot is used on long stretches (racking up lots of miles) that typically have a lower rate of accident per mile anyway. It really isn't comparing apples to apples.
I would like to already see the numbers for the stop sign/light beta rear-end collisions when the car brakes for a green light and the user didn't cancel it quick enough.

I caution you that no matter what software features you pay for, Tesla will never honor it if you have to replace your vehicle and your insurance company will never cover it.

FSD is a option like anything else in a car. If you make a significant update to a car you need to inform your insurance company so they can update the value. You can’t expect a Tesla to give you free options on your next car because you failed to insure it correctly. I had a friend who put 5000.00 seats in a Vette. The car was destroyed and insurance would not cover the seats. Should Chevy be required to give him a new car with the upgraded seats? If you traded your Tesla in would you expect to get FSD for free on the new car?

• Helpful
FSD is a option like anything else in a car. If you make a significant update to a car you need to inform your insurance company so they can update the value. You can’t expect a Tesla to give you free options on your next car because you failed to insure it correctly. I had a friend who put 5000.00 seats in a Vette. The car was destroyed and insurance would not cover the seats. Should Chevy be required to give him a new car with the upgraded seats? If you traded your Tesla in would you expect to get FSD for free on the new car?

Presumably, the seats are also physically damaged/destroyed when car is totaled, so it makes sense.
FSD is just a service switch, which doesn't get destroyed. What is damaged during an accident is all the hardware - cameras, fsd computer, etc. And I assume these are already built into car's base price.