Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Is Full Self Driving (FSD) critical to the success of Tesla in the auto industry?

If Tesla never came out with FSD is that a dealbreaker for your purchase?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the results may be skewed by the forum this is posted in, but it seemed the most appropriate one. I like Tesla vehicles for the technology, power, and unique nature of the vehicle but I have noticed that many seem to be very interested in FSD. Personally, I like to DRIVE a vehicle, but still enjoy the high tech assistance. What are your thoughts? If Tesla never came out with FSD and only had Auto Steer (AS) and Speed Adaptive Cruise Control (SACC) would that be a dealbreaker for you?

I absolutely think self driving is important even if you consider yourself a “driver”. Even people who like to drive have situations where they do not get enjoyment out of it — whether it’s an hour of stop and go traffic or hours of barren highway driving cross country, or when you’re feeling a bit drowsy after dinner.

Not having a higher level of autonomy than the current L2 is not a workable solution in the coming years.

I absolutely would not have purchased a Tesla without the promise of FSD in the future. I am a recent owner and was fully aware of the status when I purchased. I just felt Tesla had the best chance of getting there first. However, if another car company was already shipping a car with it I would have went with them. I think the time for Tesla is now to stay in the lead with production cars.

I also think part of the necessity of FSD delivery is Tesla’s own fault. If they had not sold a year’s worth of high priced luxury cars under the promise of them being FSD-capable we can argue over when they really need to deliver autonomy to survive. But as it stands now, if people start going through their entire lease paying for an option that didn’t come to fruition, IANAL but I think they would have a problem on their hands.

For me - I like the assistance. There are times when I am not as sharp as others, and appreciate the electronic eyes not blinking. My Model S is a delight to drive, and I self-drive a lot of the time. But having the assistance on occasion is really appreciated.
If this is as good as it ever gets - it is still better than my wife's ICE car. I would buy my Model S level of FSD again if it got totaled.
Would I like even better - you bet. I will buy the most recent evolution whenever I need to upgrade my sled. But I would not turn it in until it is worn out and in need of update/upgrade. I cant see chasing every incremental improvement with my wallet. I can see chasing it with my imagination and need for education.

Reactions: arcus
I also think part of the necessity of FSD delivery is Tesla’s own fault. If they had not sold a year’s worth of high priced luxury cars under the promise of them being FSD-capable we can argue over when they really need to deliver autonomy to survive. But as it stands now, if people start going through their entire lease paying for an option that didn’t come to fruition, IANAL but I think they would have a problem on their hands.
Are we only at the end of the first year (or maybe Oct. 2017 was the end of the first year)? In any case I believe at least FSD should be transferrable to a New Tesla. I actually think EAP should also be transferable. Both are software only upgrades since the hardware is part of every car.

I like that Tesla sets FSD as its eventual goal and gives us hope of getting it even with our current hardware. I truly hope we’ll see it sooner or later. But it’s not a deal-breaker for me. So my vote is NO.

Also, I don’t view it as an all-or-nothing proposition. I think we’ll see some major, but gradual improvements to the Autopilot over the next few months and years. I’ll take that!

Last edited:
Are we only at the end of the first year (or maybe Oct. 2017 was the end of the first year)? In any case I believe at least FSD should be transferrable to a New Tesla. I actually think EAP should also be transferable. Both are software only upgrades since the hardware is part of every car.

In my opinion the current FSD is already priced as an early adopter discount. I’d be willing to bet that once FSD delivers meaningful features, the price of the package will go up.

• Love
Reactions: TexLaw and croman
I wonder how much do you drive?

I got a classic Model S in 2012 and I drove as much as 3,448 miles per month.

That's a lot of manual driving on the road for me.

That's why I bought the promise of Self Driving with my current 2017 car.
Wow!

I love driving too and when I first moved to CA I put 45k miles on an Audi A4 (zero assistance features) in two years. Since then, I still love driving, but if I’m doing a 8+ hour driving day, the “fun” wears off pretty quickly. I still like manually driving some portions but when it grows monotonous it’s awesome to let AP take over.

I wonder how much do you drive?

I got a classic Model S in 2012 and I drove as much as 3,448 miles per month.

That's a lot of manual driving on the road for me.

That's why I bought the promise of Self Driving with my current 2017 car.
Wow, that is a lot of time behind the “wheel”. No wonder you are looking forward to FSD. I log many less miles and therefore enjoy the aspect of actually driving. I hope we get it sooner rather than later for your sake. ;)

I think talking about these driver-less cars is always interesting. The features, the legal aspect of it, etc. I have just read an article at Driverless, Self Driving Autonomous Car Accident Injury Lawyers, and also many other discussions on the internet. There are pros and cons but it's always interesting. I personally will choose to wait and see if these cars will be a good substitute of my own brains. :D

Reactions: GMan324
...I have just read an article...

I wouldn't call that ambulance chaser advertisement as an "article".

You don't need Self Driving for an Injury Lawyer. Even slipping on a floor at a supermarket is good enough for that purpose.

That link is not informative as it confuses Autopilot with Self Driving.

And the fatal Autopilot accident mentioned is not a very good advertisement for its legal service because it didn't get into the action quick enough to persuade the family for multimillion dollar suit.

Reactions: Terminator857
Tesla absolutely need to deliver FSD, before the 2020 prediction. If they don't, they will be hit with a class action lawsuit and probably end up issuing millions in refunds.

They should tell their sales staff to stop telling people it will be available in 6 months too.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18