Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it a Spaceship?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to the Model Y...and have a question about noise it is making. When I put it in reverse, it makes a noise that sounds like a spaceship. My 2020 Model 3 does not do this. Is this normal for the Y, or is this something that I need to have looked at.

Thanks,
Dave

New to the Model Y...and have a question about noise it is making. When I put it in reverse, it makes a noise that sounds like a spaceship. My 2020 Model 3 does not do this. Is this normal for the Y, or is this something that I need to have looked at.

Thanks,
Dave

That’s the new pedestrian noisemaker. It started getting installed in mid 2020, so your Model 3 just squeaked under the wire. Enjoy the Y! :)

• Informative
Reactions: Spacep0d
What I do not understand is the speaker placement in front of P/S front wheel, if primarily used for reverse. Wouldn't you want the speaker close to the direction of travel for maximum effectiveness? I can understand having it only make sounds while in reverse given how much less visibility there is in reverse compared to moving forward. And moving forward you could always tap the horn to alert somebody. So why is the speaker up front? Only place they could put it?

Side note, mine does not have this speaker, but if it did I would be looking for some way to play a throaty V8 sound from it instead of that sound they have now. Probably too small/wimpy for any kind of low frequency bass that you would need for a V8 engine rumble...

Last edited:
Reactions: frankvb
What I do not understand is the speaker placement in front of P/S front wheel, if primarily used for reverse. Wouldn't you want the speaker close to the direction of travel for maximum effectiveness? I can understand having it only make sounds while in reverse given how much less visibility there is in reverse compared to moving forward. And moving forward you could always tap the horn to alert somebody. So why is the speaker up front? Only place they could put it?

Side note, mine does not have this speaker, but if it did I would be looking for some way to play a throaty V8 sound from it instead of that sound they have now. Probably too small/wimpy for any kind of low frequency bass that you would need for a V8 engine rumble...

It’s on the front right of the car to alert pedestrians when the vehicle is traveling forward (think visually impaired people at crosswalks). It’s louder in reverse to make it audible from the rear of the vehicle.