Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it better to add a 14-50 outlet or hardwire an electric charger in garage?

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
If you install a Wall Unit you do not need a GFI, from the manual: “do not install a GFCI circuit breaker.”

So that savings makes up a good part of the cost of a Wall Unit cost. And I think there is still a federal tax credit available. If you go this route consider running a 60A circuit to get the maximum charging capacity (48A).

insaner

Mar 31, 2021
LA
Man, am I glad I learned to use a screwdriver when I was in High School! I put a 14-50 outlet in the wall of my garage, ran my own wire (you can get all necessary information on sizes, etc. on line) and connected it to a 50 amp breaker. As my breaker was full, it was simple to buy two half-size breakers and make room for the new one. Sure, I'm happy to support a local electrician, but not when I can check with the city myself, get a permit, and do the work.
How much did the permit cost you for your city?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC