Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it me, or does the LR AWD seem like the best value right now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup I agree, LR seems easily worth the premium over SR+ right now, can't imagine many new SR+ orders are being placed at the moment.

And I think that's by design. It's all come together with the switch to LFP, the big Hertz order, and the continued delays/backlog of filling existing SR+ orders from before many of the recent price increases. I expect SR+ vs LR price gap to grow again eventually as the Hertz order gets filled and their manufacturing supply of LFP batteries becomes less constrained.

This is the struggle I'm now facing. I placed an order back in July with the intention of receiving it in September. Ha! That came and went. Delivery window kept getting pushed back, eventually to April 2022, but now says Feb-Mar 2022. If I place an order for a LR right now, it says December. Thing is, if I get the SR+ I ordered, they will honor the older price, making the car substantially cheaper than one I could get with a new order. Also, it should hypothetically retain much more positive equity than it otherwise would. So...I could dish out the extra cash to get the LR sooner, or just keep waiting and driving my old pickup until March. Gas is getting more expensive, but not that much more expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
This is the struggle I'm now facing. I placed an order back in July with the intention of receiving it in September. Ha! That came and went. Delivery window kept getting pushed back, eventually to April 2022, but now says Feb-Mar 2022. If I place an order for a LR right now, it says December. Thing is, if I get the SR+ I ordered, they will honor the older price, making the car substantially cheaper than one I could get with a new order. Also, it should hypothetically retain much more positive equity than it otherwise would. So...I could dish out the extra cash to get the LR sooner, or just keep waiting and driving my old pickup until March. Gas is getting more expensive, but not that much more expensive.

What price did you get locked in at for the SR+? I'd push delivery back to 2022 and maybe double dip on the tax credit if it comes back. Especially since you have another vehicle to drive.

What price did you get locked in at for the SR+? I'd push delivery back to 2022 and maybe double dip on the tax credit if it comes back. Especially since you have another vehicle to drive.
I locked in at $39,990, so $4k cheaper than now. The only option I added to it was the red paint, so I'll be looking at $43,292 OTD. If the tax credit comes back, that will be an absolute godsend.

Problem where I am, is LR is $10K more that SR+, on top of that you don't get the $5K government EV credit with the LR, so the difference ends up being $15K. Though I wanted the LR, to me the differences doesn't justify a $15K difference from the SR+

I locked in at $39,990, so $4k cheaper than now. The only option I added to it was the red paint, so I'll be looking at $43,292 OTD. If the tax credit comes back, that will be an absolute godsend.
If you're okay holding out, keeping the SR+ order at that price seems like a totally reasonable decision. I assume you don't need / care for the LR AWD enhancements or you would've ordered one in the first place, so stick with your plan and pricing.

That said, I think even $10k extra for the LR AWD is not a bad deal at all, you do get a lot more capability overall. So yeah, tough decision!

if you take delivery anytime soon, you might be able to flip it immediately to caravna, carmax, vroom, and other places for a profit. Then go for LR and tax credit in 2022.

• Helpful
isnt it 7500 ev base + 2500 for USA + 2500 for union made?

Nope.

For one, Teslas aren't union made.

For another the most recent version of the bill breaks down as I described for the first 8k- 4k base, 3.5k for certain limits on fuel source sizes, and $500 for US made batteries (and that is the only 8k available to Tesla- with $500 of that not applying to the SR using LFP batteries from china so only 7500 there)

Then there's another $4500 available if the vehicle is made in the US by a union factory--- which today I think is ONLY the Bolt for BEVs... (the Mach E is made in Mexico) but would also apply to any hybrids with at least a 10kwh battery that are made in the US by union shops.

Nope.

For one, Teslas aren't union made.

For another the most recent version of the bill breaks down as I described for the first 8k- 4k base, 3.5k for certain limits on fuel source sizes, and $500 for US made batteries (and that is the only 8k available to Tesla- with $500 of that not applying to the SR using LFP batteries from china so only 7500 there)

Then there's another $4500 available if the vehicle is made in the US by a union factory--- which today I think is ONLY the Bolt for BEVs... (the Mach E is made in Mexico) but would also apply to any hybrids with at least a 10kwh battery that are made in the US by union shops.

i quoted the totality of the framework plan for all EV vehicles... tesla can get up to $10k with the plan as written...

"the framework’s electric vehicle tax credit will lower the cost of an electric vehicle that is made in America with American materials and union labor by $12,500 for a middle-class family"

source:

i quoted the totality of the framework plan for all EV vehicles... tesla can get up to $10k with the plan as written...

No, they can't- not federally.

$4500 of the $12,500 max is only for union made vehicles in the US

Which does not include Tesla vehicles.

$12,500 minus $4500 is $8000. Not $10,000.

So $8000 is the most a Tesla made with US battery cells can get under the current bill.

$7500 is the max if the cells are imported.

If you'd like to read the latest draft of the actual bill that confirms this, instead of a press release that's here:

Page 1240 is where the EV credit details begin and they are as I described them.'

$4000 base credit for plug in vehicles.

$3500 added credit if the battery is >40 kwh and it has no more than 2.5gal of gasoline capacity (down to 0 obviously)

$500 added for US made battery cells.

That's 8k.

The only other addition available is union-made US build cars- which Tesla does not make.

Reactions: alset3000
You folks must’ve planted a bug, as I’m now seriously considering cancelling my SR+ for a LR AWD. Selling my current ride now for $54k, if I can get it by Jan 1, I won’t pay any sales tax. I was looking at paying $3k in sales tax for the SR+ due to it likely being delivered well past my 60 day window.

So serious question, if a person orders a LR now with expected delivery in Dec, how realistic is that really?