Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is it normal for Tesla to charge separately for bollards, or should they be included [if needed]?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it normal for Tesla to charge separately for bollards, or should they be included?

Message from Tesla:
“The last one did not have the bollards on it. Bollards are $250 each and we'll be installing 3 of them. They are line itemed on the payment details as " Installation Scope Adjustments".”

I would say that you knew they were additionally needed, and should pay for them unless they were on your contract previously.

It is sort of a grey area, but in this case it is no surprise to you that additional equipment is needed to install in your garage. Is it questionable that you would pay for the additional equipment?

Reactions: buckets0fun
Tesla has three options for installation:
1) outside, requires pads and very long wire runs.
2) wall mounted above bumper around perimeter of garage. Lots of conduit work and wiring.
3) pedistal mount inside garage on west wall beside service entrance and electrical panels. Lowest installation cost.

They chose option 3, and then want to charge ME for bollards. I think they should be included.

Reactions: Vines
2) wall mounted above bumper around perimeter of garage. Lots of conduit work and wiring.
3) pedistal mount inside garage on west wall beside service entrance and electrical panels. Lowest installation cost.

They chose option 3, and then want to charge ME for bollards. I think they should be included.
Oh, from your earlier posts I understood that the garage was your primary choice. Maybe I didn't understand your earlier posts about location options and how you rejected the outdoor location they proposed.

Many AHJ and installers do not want them inside anymore because of the extra costs and difficulties, which you may have helped out with. I am surprised to hear that Tesla prefers an indoor location.

Best of luck saving $750 on your multi-powerwall indoor installation. With the money Tesla charges, I'd not expect a fixed price like some companies can offer. If the company I work for needed bollards and hadn't included them in the initial cost then we would buy them on our dime. We really try to honor our fixed price contracts without issuing many change orders for little stuff like this. Also our prices are higher so our clients expect we have thought of everything ahead of time.

In this post, you say "tesla chose option 3". In the thread you created about installing in your garage, it seemed pretty clear that installing in the garage was your choice, not teslas choice:

The last post in that thread, dated september 9th, seems to indicate that you believe tesla has "one less excuse" to install in the garage now:

i installed my interconnected heat detector fire alarm today... one fewer excuses for tesla!!!!

None of this appears to be that installing in the garage is Teslas choice (and not yours), so it seems appropriate that you should be charged for whatever is required to meet your choice.

They came to do a site survey to determine install location (as I stated in other thread), there are TWO locations inside garage. Around perimeter on the walls, or beside electrical panels on the floor which requires bollards. Beside electrical panels is by far the easiest and cheapest.
As I said above.

They came to do a site survey to determine install location (as I stated in other thread), there are TWO locations inside garage. Around perimeter on the walls, or beside electrical panels on the floor which requires bollards. Beside electrical panels is by far the easiest and cheapest.
As I said above.

The first, and second posts in the thread you created above, that I referenced, are this:

I just got this message from Tesla. I immediately replied I’m in tarrent county. Anyone know if that is true. I believe Tesla makes stuff up.

Hello Eric, Dallas no longer allows interior Powerwall's for solar installations. We need to have another site visit to determine where we can place all of the equipment on the outside of the home, then redo the plans so the installers will know. I do apologize about the change in schedule. -Erin from Tesla

That is my thought, to call Fort Worth permit department and ask for a consultation.
But I’m thinking Tesla doesn’t want to install in garages any more and is hiding behind city regulations. Perhaps they are having problems, failures.
I’m installing mini split in garage to control temperature.

The first one is you telling us that tesla send you a message that "Dallas no longer allows interior powerwall installs" and the second one is your opinion that tesla doesnt want to do it anymore. That entire thread is about you trying to get Tesla to install in your garage when they didnt want to. There is not a single thing in that thread that says "Tesla is requesting to install in my garage", which is the premise you came to this thread with on why you shouldnt pay for the bollards.

You can pursue whatever you want to under whatever premise you want to with Tesla, of course. I am just pointing out that you specifically said to us here that you wanted these in your garage, and laid out in multiple posts what you were doing to make that happen, including installing additional equipment in there to make it happen. In this thread, the premise you are stating is that installing in the garage was Tesla's choice, which completely contradicts the above.

The first, and second posts in the thread you created above, that I referenced, are this:

The first one is you telling us that tesla send you a message that "Dallas no longer allows interior powerwall installs" and the second one is your opinion that tesla doesnt want to do it anymore. That entire thread is about you trying to get Tesla to install in your garage when they didnt want to. There is not a single thing in that thread that says "Tesla is requesting to install in my garage", which is the premise you came to this thread with on why you shouldnt pay for the bollards.

You can pursue whatever you want to under whatever premise you want to with Tesla, of course. I am just pointing out that you specifically said to us here that you wanted these in your garage, and laid out in multiple posts what you were doing to make that happen, including installing additional equipment in there to make it happen. In this thread, the premise you are stating is that installing in the garage was Tesla's choice, which completely contradicts the above.
I would have zero desire to install Powerwalls in my garage, for various reasons. So glad I was able to install them outside. Will see soon if
I end up for 7 outside. :)

Lol you waited like 36 months for this install and you're going to potentially de-rail it over who is paying the bollards? Come on man... just be glad you're not dealing with PG&E threatening your install crew, or PG&E not knowing your service entry size, or PG&E sending 2 T-Men to take a picture of your wall, or PG&E demanding you add them on your homeowners insurance.

Just take your win (which is a lot of Powerwalls) and paint the bollards carrot-orange.

• Funny
Reactions: Ogre and jhn_
I am just pointing out that you specifically said to us here that you wanted these in your garage, and laid out in multiple posts what you were doing to make that happen, including installing additional equipment in there to make it happen. In this thread, the premise you are stating is that installing in the garage was Tesla's choice, which completely contradicts the above.
there are two installation methods inside garage. One on walls around perimeter of garage, other by the electrical panel with bollards.

Yes, I want them inside garage…. But there are install options inside garage.

Lol you waited like 36 months for this install and you're going to potentially de-rail it over who is paying the bollards? Come on man... just be glad you're not dealing with PG&E threatening your install crew, or PG&E not knowing your service entry size, or PG&E sending 2 T-Men to take a picture of your wall, or PG&E demanding you add them on your homeowners insurance.

Just take your win (which is a lot of Powerwalls) and paint the bollards carrot-orange.
I’m accepted cost adjustment. Just perturb at charge for bollards.

I’m accepted cost adjustment. Just perturb at charge for bollards.

Yeah, but as with any project you should budget like 10% for cost overruns, change orders, etc. It's just par for the course in any project right? I feel like $750 hitting the contingency budget ain't so bad in the scale of your project.

Well, until someone door dings the living hell out of their car door against the bollard... bollards are worse than curb rash lol.

Yeah, but as with any project you should budget like 10% for cost overruns, change orders, etc. It's just par for the course in any project right? I feel like $750 hitting the contingency budget ain't so bad in the scale of your project.

Well, until someone door dings the living hell out of their car door against the bollard... bollards are worse than curb rash lol.
I mean nobody keeps bollards inside the garage after inspection right?

Until you go to sell

Lol I want to see the home inspection report where the underpaid guy walks over to the residual bollard rings in garage and goes ...

"Home has evidence that bollards were previously installed per code for fire safety but then had them cut away because who the hell has bollards in their garage?"

"Recommended remediation ... install 3 new bollards on the ground and paint them carrot-orange. Estimated cost $30,000."

• Funny
Reactions: Electrph and Vines
Lol I want to see the home inspection report where the underpaid guy walks over to the residual bollard rings in garage and goes ...

"Home has evidence that bollards were previously installed per code for fire safety but then had them cut away because who the hell has bollards in their garage?"

"Recommended remediation ... install 3 new bollards on the ground and paint them carrot-orange. Estimated cost $30,000."
When I buy, or work with folks buying, I ask them to pull all the permits. Now, if I were to find data that shows a seller was modifying things something was no longer in code, I would walk away since I would be asking what else did the person do to cut corners. But, just me. And if for some reason something happened to cause an insurance claim, and it was caused by a modification, then no insurance coverage. Not worth it to me

Reactions: Vines