Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it ok to charge battery every other day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The owners manual says “The most important way to preserve your battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it”. The upper case and bold print text suggests Tesla must think it is important.

Regardless, you would not save electricity by charging less often. That’s like the joke about asking if you want your pizza cut into 6 slices or 8, and answering “Six. I don’t think I could eat eight”.

Ideally it’s plugged in all the time when not in use. If you can’t, you can’t. Period. As was said, it won’t hurt it as long as you don’t charge too much all the time or go too low all the time.

Now when you start discussing what ‘low’ and ‘high’ mean, stand back. Some say 10/90, others 20/80, etc.

Set the charging slider to 60% SOC and plug in every night. Then, when you need to go on a longer trip, set the slider to 90% the night before you leave. That way your battery will stay closer to 50% SOC all the time and "might" last longer (at least that's what some of the experts seem to think). Anyway, that's what I do with both the 70D and 2011 Leaf. I keep them both around 50% SOC, then charge only when I need to drive longer distances (my commute is 8 mi RT).

The car will be fine with it, but I'm not sure how it's helping you.

You said something about saving electricity, but the only savings I can see in this approach is in not conditioning the pack until you start driving - small savings at best, and matched by increased energy consumption in the drive.

Plugging in every day is simpler, but do what makes you happy.

Set the charging slider to 60% SOC and plug in every night. Then, when you need to go on a longer trip, set the slider to 90% the night before you leave. That way your battery will stay closer to 50% SOC all the time and "might" last longer (at least that's what some of the experts seem to think). Anyway, that's what I do with both the 70D and 2011 Leaf. I keep them both around 50% SOC, then charge only when I need to drive longer distances (my commute is 8 mi RT).
You’re just treating yourself (and maybe the Leaf).

I only plug my model S in once or twice a week. There's nothing magic that happens when it's plugged in and not charging. The only reason Tesla recommends leaving it plugged in all the time is to prevent people from allowing the charge to drop too low. it's like the advice to fill your ICE car up when the tank is half empty, its directed at people who don't have the wherewithal to keep track of their fuel level so they don't run out.

You’re just treating yourself (and maybe the Leaf).
Probably, but I don’t drive the 70D in town, so it mostly sits plugged into 120V, waiting for my next trip. Will it even make a 5% difference in range in 10 years? I don’t know, but it doesn’t affect my use or usability. I have SCs at 10, 70, 90, 100, and 120 miles in all travel directions.

I only plug my model S in once or twice a week. There's nothing magic that happens when it's plugged in and not charging. The only reason Tesla recommends leaving it plugged in all the time is to prevent people from allowing the charge to drop too low. it's like the advice to fill your ICE car up when the tank is half empty, its directed at people who don't have the wherewithal to keep track of their fuel level so they don't run out.

+1
I plug in my 2014 P85 once a week and have lost only 1% of my original range (260-->257) over 4 years. I keep range r40m 40-75% and charge to 100 only on longer trips

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc
Thanks for the data points on this thread. I recently had solar installed so I'm using time limited charging so it only charges when the panels are generating as my city utility doesn't really net meter it just buys my surplus/export at wholesale value then sells it back to me for twice the cost when my solar array falls behind. It is working ok primarily charging @ 40A during lunch & weekends so far.