Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it okay to switch the side mirrors to wide angle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t comment on the legality of it, but I installed wide-angle mirrors (these) and I can advise that they are awesome and you absolutely do not need an installer for this job. It’s extremely easy.
....but you lose the defrosters and the auto tint built into the original mirrors. I love the idea, but I can't see getting these without the heating elements or auto tint.

Not familiar with the laws in Ontario. Tesla default side mirrors have restricted vision for me so I find it hard to use. Is it okay to switch them to a wide angled ones?
Also is there a place that installs such side mirrors in Ontario?
Not sure what Tesla model you own, but the 3 and Y allow you to display the rear-facing side cameras in the center display which I find very useful.

I am expecting that at some point in the future Tesla will enable that feature in the S/X.

You might not need a wide angle side mirror if you adjust your mirrors appropriately. You don't need to see the side of your car, instead adjust them to see the lane next to you, and use the center mirror to see behind you. All 3 mirrors should only have a small overlap so you can see more around/behind you.

You might not need a wide angle side mirror if you adjust your mirrors appropriately. You don't need to see the side of your car, instead adjust them to see the lane next to you, and use the center mirror to see behind you. All 3 mirrors should only have a small overlap so you can see more around/behind you.

I think he means the mirrors do not extend out far enough. I had the same problem. At its maximum, the mirrors still show the side of the car

If you are tall (like me), you will not be able to adjust the driver’s side mirror far enough outward. I took part in a group buy for convex mirrors without the blue tint from Suma. They’re great. They keep the defrost function, but lose the auto dimming, as noted by yourhero. I can still see the side of the car with them, but I can also see the traffic in the adjacent lane. I don’t notice any extra glare from them at night.

Not sure what Tesla model you own, but the 3 and Y allow you to display the rear-facing side cameras in the center display which I find very useful.

I am expecting that at some point in the future Tesla will enable that feature in the S/X.
We already have it. Tap the construction cone in the lower left corner while the backup camera view is on the screen. You’ll loose the gps map, but you’ll have all three camera views visible.

I think he means the mirrors do not extend out far enough. I had the same problem. At its maximum, the mirrors still show the side of the car
That is not my experience with any of the multiple Teslas I have owned (currently own a 3 and an X). None of my Teslas showed the side of the car when adjusted to the correct position (as noted by @Xelloss99 above. If your side mirrors show the side of the car when adjusted as wide as possible using the in-car controls, use your hand to push the outside edge of the mirrors a small amount. If that doesn’t work, set up a Tesla Service mobile appointment so your mirrors can be adjusted correctly.