Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to drive in Very Low Suspension Mode for extended periods?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems when I select Very Low on the suspension control screen and I exit out of the menu and begin to drive, inevitably the car will automatically raise to the Low setting.

I notice that if you stay on the suspension control menu and you leave that menu on the screen, that the ride height does not deviate and it will stay in the Very Low mode if selected.

Is there any way to maintain the Very Low ride height without keeping the screen on the suspension control page?

I love the look of the Very Low setting and I feel the ride quality on the suburban streets near my home is more than tolerable.

Anyone with any experience?

How about making the car automatically lower to the Very Low ride height when you put the car in Park? I had a Techart Porsche Cayenne with that feature which was awesome.

Thanks guys!

If you select very low while youre in park it will revert back to low. If you do this while driving or once you are in gear it will stay in the very low setting until next time you park it.

Reactions: Polar993
I have adjustable camber links and drive in the lowest setting all the time, when I have them do the alignment, they drop the car into the lowest setting and do a custom setting that I have posted on here somewhere. This assumes the X has the same/similiar camber link at the top of the suspension, just need to replace this with an adjustable link and you can dial it in. Also double check the toe settings in the lowest position. More info here Proof of tire wear benefits of accurate alignment and rear camber

I have adjustable camber links and drive in the lowest setting all the time, when I have them do the alignment, they drop the car into the lowest setting and do a custom setting that I have posted on here somewhere. This assumes the X has the same/similiar camber link at the top of the suspension, just need to replace this with an adjustable link and you can dial it in. Also double check the toe settings in the lowest position. More info here Proof of tire wear benefits of accurate alignment and rear camber

I looked at using links on the X; I had previously lowered my S the same way. The positioning of the front sensors on the X mean you are running links that are close to 4” long. Personally knowing how they are held on I wasn’t comfortable with that set up and went with the lowering brackets that Unplugged sells. If the link pops off the nipple its attached to by a rubber grommet your front end will drop to the ground. It can happen in the best of times, and with the link being exponentially longer I don’t think its safe (my shop agreed and had no skin in the game in terms of approach).

Ive been modding cars for 10 years so this isn’t my first rodeo....just my 2 cents.

I looked at using links on the X; I had previously lowered my S the same way. The positioning of the front sensors on the X mean you are running links that are close to 4” long. Personally knowing how they are held on I wasn’t comfortable with that set up and went with the lowering brackets that Unplugged sells. If the link pops off the nipple its attached to by a rubber grommet your front end will drop to the ground. It can happen in the best of times, and with the link being exponentially longer I don’t think its safe (my shop agreed and had no skin in the game in terms of approach).

Ive been modding cars for 10 years so this isn’t my first rodeo....just my 2 cents.

Good intel on this, thanks! How much did the brackets from Unplugged cost you?

They are close to 400 (if I recall, maybe a little more). A good set of adjustable links will set you back between 250 and 300 - a little more but its a quality engineered part that was purpose built. It leaves all of the sensors and links in their factory setting.

Thanks....not too expensive. Is this is a DIY install or professional installation is required? I installed the lowering links on my Porsche Panamera....it was a bit tricky and I busted a few knuckles in the process, but otherwise doable.

If you had someone install them, what did they charge?

I think you may be confusing lower links with Camber links. I don't have lowering links, just rear adjustable camber links that are bolted on. Lowering links are as you stated

Premature tire wear caused by negative camber due to driving with a lowered ride height will not be so aggressive to the point of going through a set of tires in 5,000 miles. The premature wear driving in Low is likely to be about 10-15% faster wear than normal.

I base that estimate on my extensive history of owning high performance cars lowered suspensions. My 911, my Panamera and my M5 all have lowered suspensions and high performance tires. The premature wear on the inners of the tires has been minimal.

Just out of curiosity, when you drive the Model X in Very Low mode, does it automatically change to Low mode after some time? Mine seems to do that, unless I keep the touchscreen on the suspension control page.

I have 7k miles on my X, with 100% on low. No abnormal tire wear, and I just had then check at the SC today. I do expect less mileage overall, but I'll take 10% or so tradeoff to not have to feel acceleration shudder every time I step on it (until there's a perm fix). :)

Thanks....not too expensive. Is this is a DIY install or professional installation is required? I installed the lowering links on my Porsche Panamera....it was a bit tricky and I busted a few knuckles in the process, but otherwise doable.

If you had someone install them, what did they charge?

Easy DIY. It takes all of around 45min - no knuckle busting either. With the links you have to uncouple them; this one youre just swappin
I think you may be confusing lower links with Camber links. I don't have lowering links, just rear adjustable camber links that are bolted on. Lowering links are as you stated

Makes sense - and completely essential for a solid 4 wheel alignment...the rear cant align out of the factory to the lower settings - thanks for clarifying!!

When I had on my TMX P100D 22.000km had Concern: Vibration at hard Acceleration and Tesla replaced both halfschafts. Now I have 50.000km and still have strong vibration in Standard, noticeable vibration even in Very low. After my next email to Tesla about vibration I finally got answer (which I cannot publish in full)

So we have newest Tesla statement:

Regarding your issues..
We know about the issue of the vibrating of the car. Unfortunately the vibration is on every Model X but more on the P90D´s and P100D´s. We can try to reduce it a bit but we can´t reduce it to no vibration.