Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to remotely open/close windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
So I came across this today. On most other cars with a keyfob you can long press open/close button and all the windows will open or close.

Was wondering if Tesla does this?

Reason I'm asking is I left the window open to see what would happen when you walk away. It just locks, windows stay open. There is also no remote control to close them.

I read something once years ago that Tesla Model S originally did have this feature but dropped it. My previous cars had it and it was very convenient. The difference might be the technology. In my previous cars, you had to be fairly close, presumably lose enough for visual contact. But the Tesla Model S fob can work at a long enough distance that being within sight of the car might not be guaranteed. Hence this might be the basis for the safety concern, whether it was driven by a regulation or not....

Yes, Tesla DID have this feature way back when. And yes, it certainly is a safety concern that most likely removed this feature.

There are several work-arounds that Tesla could consider:
1. Sensors that reliably detect and quickly respond to obstructions,
2. Additional cameras (if not already there) that see if the window paths are clear, and
3. Indicators/alerts on the phone app (similar to the one for the pano roof) that show the position of each window (you may not be able to move them, but at least you can see if any are open).

BTW, I wonder if any new non-Tesla cars still have remote window closing and if this feature gets disabled on older cars when they are brought in to a dealer for servicing.

It’s in case a toddler etc get their neck caught in the window while it’s closing.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Oh well, I guess you can aircon the car remotely so that negates the use for remote windows down.

Is the security concern of leaving with windows still down. Presumably said toddler would be just as likely to get a neck ache if you close the back window without checking for presence of toddler necks while inside the car.

Yes, Tesla DID have this feature way back when. And yes, it certainly is a safety concern that most likely removed this feature.

There are several work-arounds that Tesla could consider:
1. Sensors that reliably detect and quickly respond to obstructions,
2. Additional cameras (if not already there) that see if the window paths are clear, and
3. Indicators/alerts on the phone app (similar to the one for the pano roof) that show the position of each window (you may not be able to move them, but at least you can see if any are open).

BTW, I wonder if any new non-Tesla cars still have remote window closing and if this feature gets disabled on older cars when they are brought in to a dealer for servicing.

My son has a nearly new Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, bought new last year, and that car has such a feature. So I doubt the feature is prohibited in the US, at least. There may be restrictions on the details, of course.

My 2015 Skoda has this. You can even use programming tools to set it so that any open windows automatically close if the car is locked and it starts to rain. It seems like such a basic omission from Tesla as I'm sure most cars have anti-pinch to stop the windows closing if they encounter something in the way.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Surely, nobody wants to injure (or worse) an innocent inquisitive toddler who doesn’t know better?o_O

It’s a compromise I’m happy to live with. Rarely used it in the old ICE. The function is now redundant as I just turn on climate.

Window safety sensors / kit / etc cost $, make a car less secure and create something else to go faulty.

Reactions: jimmymc
UN ECE Regulation 21, revision 2, amendment 2

5.8.2.8. Remote closing shall be allowed by continuous activation of a remote actuation device, provided one of the following conditions is fulfilled:

5.8.2.8.1. the operation distance between the actuation device and the vehicle shall not exceed 6 m;

5.8.2.8.2. the operation distance between the actuation device and the vehicle shall not exceed 11 m, provided that the system requires a direct line of sight between the actuation device and the vehicle. This may be tested by placing an opaque surface between the actuation device and the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Roy W.
UN ECE Regulation 21, revision 2, amendment 2

5.8.2.8. Remote closing shall be allowed by continuous activation of a remote actuation device, provided one of the following conditions is fulfilled:

5.8.2.8.1. the operation distance between the actuation device and the vehicle shall not exceed 6 m;

5.8.2.8.2. the operation distance between the actuation device and the vehicle shall not exceed 11 m, provided that the system requires a direct line of sight between the actuation device and the vehicle. This may be tested by placing an opaque surface between the actuation device and the vehicle.
This is how SEAT does it, per Comfort Closing and Opening Windows – Car Terms | SEAT

I had it coded onto my Audi TTRS, but I don't know if it was an additional module or not. All I know is that I could remotely open or close the windows so long as I was in remote range (which was pretty far).

I keep my windows shut at all times to keep the smog out :p
That said I've seen several owners walk away with windows open at superchargers :/
It would be nice to get informed if any window is not closed all the way up when leaving the car, especially on the passengefr side.
Also if you keep the air contitionning on (Dog Mode) it would be absurd to have a window down and not been informed.

Reactions: SimonTe
So I came across this today. On most other cars with a keyfob you can long press open/close button and all the windows will open or close.

Was wondering if Tesla does this?

Reason I'm asking is I left the window open to see what would happen when you walk away. It just locks, windows stay open. There is also no remote control to close them.
Looks like it's coming along shortly, maybe with version 10 update? Check out Tesla to release mobile app update that allows window closing, venting features

• Informative
Reactions: BobSpurs
This discussion about babies, animals and car jackers getting their head and fingers cut off is amusing, but how is this any different than auto-up windows (most with pinch protection) that virtually every car has had for the last 20 years?