Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to still get the full tax credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have gone through hours of the existing threads, but didn't find what I was looking for, so here goes. I have not yet, but would like to put down my deposit on an M3 ( Mid Feb 2017). Speculation is that the full tax credit would expire at a delivery date end of June 2018. Granted that I live in the Midwest, and would be looking for somewhat of a base model D, what do you think the chances are of getting the full credit, or even the half credit if it expires in Dec 2018. I guess what it comes down to is how fast can Tesla deliver vehicles in that 6 month window.

I don't think your decision should be based in anyway on the amount of tax credit you get back. You should completely base your decision on if you think the Model 3 will meet your needs. The tax credit is just an added bonus on the side.

If you can afford to put the $1000 down, go ahead. Like me, all you loose is the interest on having the $1,000 in the bank. If the Model 3 purchase process is the same Model S/X, you will receive an invitation to configure your car. At that point you can look at the Tax situation and decide if you want to go through with the purchase or not.

What i will say is unlike GM and other major car manufacturers Tesla has been willing and able to ignore the bottom line and concentrate on the big picture. Tesla has the ability to deliver exactly 199,999 US cars as of December 31st, 2017 (or March 31st, 2018 for that matter), Just to get the biggest tax break possible for as many people as possible. They have complete control over the manufacturing and delivery process. Tesla can focus on delivering S/X vehicles outside the US based on the number of Model 3's delivered in the US.

So in a sense even the Model 3 ramp up isn't an issue. Take a 500 million dollar loss in Q4 2017 by holding back on deliveries and a 500 million gain in Q1 2018. I am not saying they would be crazy enough to hold back 10,000 deliveries or anything like that, i am just saying a couple of hundred or a few thousand cars either way could make all the difference in the world to you.