TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is it possible to still get the full tax credit?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Riche64, Feb 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

Thanks

2. dchuck

dchuck Member

I don't think your decision should be based in anyway on the amount of tax credit you get back. You should completely base your decision on if you think the Model 3 will meet your needs. The tax credit is just an added bonus on the side.

If you can afford to put the $1000 down, go ahead. Like me, all you loose is the interest on having the $1,000 in the bank. If the Model 3 purchase process is the same Model S/X, you will receive an invitation to configure your car. At that point you can look at the Tax situation and decide if you want to go through with the purchase or not.

What i will say is unlike GM and other major car manufacturers Tesla has been willing and able to ignore the bottom line and concentrate on the big picture. Tesla has the ability to deliver exactly 199,999 US cars as of December 31st, 2017 (or March 31st, 2018 for that matter), Just to get the biggest tax break possible for as many people as possible. They have complete control over the manufacturing and delivery process. Tesla can focus on delivering S/X vehicles outside the US based on the number of Model 3's delivered in the US.

So in a sense even the Model 3 ramp up isn't an issue. Take a 500 million dollar loss in Q4 2017 by holding back on deliveries and a 500 million gain in Q1 2018. I am not saying they would be crazy enough to hold back 10,000 deliveries or anything like that, i am just saying a couple of hundred or a few thousand cars either way could make all the difference in the world to you.

3. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Elon mentioned they will delay production if necessary.

• Like x 1
  4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Or just shift production to fulfilling non-US orders.

• Like x 1
  5. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Rideshare Monkey

Yeah, I think our friends in Canada, Europe, and other places worldwide will be get a nice surprise if things are going well in December! ;)