Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it safe to connect a large inverter to the 12V battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ideal would be a two way connection to the grid so every EV would act as an energy buffer for the grid. Tesla knows this but wants to sell this concept as a separate product (Powerwall), so there is no hope Tesla will implement it in their cars. They also don't want you to get free energy from Superchargers and then power your home with it.

For DIY home use I think going into the 12 Volt system is the cleanest and safest. It also requires no artificial camper mode. If there was a simple way to connect to the high voltage system, I would prefer that. It's just too much trouble and much more expensive.
Indeed. On a remote location I would like to have 230V (Europe!) and about 500W available when I need it. If my big 85kWh battery can provide that in a safe way by using those terminals I will.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Yes, but still. You can't draw 750W from the nosecone that way I assume, right?

50A fuse at let's say 14V would be 700W, not 750W.

So is the fuse really 50A? Or is it 60A and designed for 50A in all environment?

The metal conductor inside fuses gets hot and melts when passing too much current. Typically, this actually takes place at 35-50% above their rating. So a 50A fuse could likely pass 60A. But, it would be on the edge of failing. And the heat stress on the metal conductor inside could make it more susceptible to a below 50A or surge current failure in the future.

The metal conductor inside fuses gets hot and melts when passing too much current. Typically, this actually takes place at 35-50% above their rating. So a 50A fuse could likely pass 60A. But, it would be on the edge of failing. And the heat stress on the metal conductor inside could make it more susceptible to a below 50A or surge current failure in the future.
And the exterior temperature influences this as wel, right?

Meaning that when freezing you might be able to draw 60A where in the summer heat it fails at 55A.

So 50A is something we should take as the upper limit.

And the exterior temperature influences this as wel, right?

Meaning that when freezing you might be able to draw 60A where in the summer heat it fails at 55A.

So 50A is something we should take as the upper limit.
Yes, generally.

80% of the fuse rating is a good conservative number. This allows for minor spikes and, yes, temperature issues.

Other factors to consider are how critical it would be if the fuse blew, how hard it is to replace, how expensive it is… and if you have a spare in hand.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I believe the US model Outlander PHEV only has a 1,500W inverter, regardless of how many outlets are there. However, it is powered directly from the high voltage battery, so that's good. I think it's only included on the GT trim though.
Does anyone know if you can charge an EV from that 1,500W inverter? Would be a good option in case you have to rescue someone.... like my son driving the Leaf lol. :eek:

One of my concern is that does the liquid cooling system still function when the car is off?

Yes the battery management system is always active so I assume it will circulate the coolant if necessary. I have to test it but I'm pretty sure it does because the DCDC converter is always active and might need cooling.

I didn't hear the fan going. The DC-DC converter is about 90% efficient. If we pull 1500 Watt it would produce aprox 150 Watt of heat. Nothing to worry about.
That will be great.
At the moment, I'm testing the 12V battery voltage while putting a small load (5A constant current) when Energy saving off.
Previous tests show that the car will turn the DC-DC off from 23:00 to 5:00 every day at no load sleep. When there is a 5A load, the car is still trying to turn the DC-DC off but wake up by the low voltage (12.2V) of the battery.
I'm guessing that if the load is heavier, the DC-DC will not turn off. I'll test 10A load tonight.

In the previous post, when I said "the power is up" , I meant the power is large such as 1500W.
5A-on-on.png