Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it too late to order Model X and get it delivered before Apr 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
you know that Tesla is going to cut the free Super Charger use for order after Jan 1, 2017 and delivered after Apr 1, 2017.
However, if I order a less pricey 75D next week, will Tesla be willing to produce it and deliver it before Apr 1, 2017?
Suppose I pick it up at Fremont, CA.

Thanks.

You should be asking Tesla this, as they're the only one who can really answer this. Price of the car isn't going to determine when it gets built. You could also always buy an inventory car, if you can find one with the equipment you want. Occasionally you can find one with EAP.

My gut tells me it's more of a case where they want to push and close out Q3 sales (Maybe Q1 I don't know when their fiscal year starts). Also they don't want someone ordering 12/31 then opting to take delivery 6 months later. Tesla would be the right people to chime in but if you order and chose earliest delivery and it was still after 4/1 because of their own doing they would still grandfather you in.

If it helps my order for X90D was confirmed 7th Dec. VIN issued 9th Dec. Estimated delivery showing up as Feb- early March in myTesla so l believe you still may have time. Either way tesla stated 31st Dec is the cut off to order to receive supercharging so regardless you still have 2+ weeks.....

Hi all,
you know that Tesla is going to cut the free Super Charger use for order after Jan 1, 2017 and delivered after Apr 1, 2017.
However, if I order a less pricey 75D next week, will Tesla be willing to produce it and deliver it before Apr 1, 2017?

Thanks.
You should be fine so long as you order by the end of this month and select earliest delivery date possible (and don't push the delivery date back).

If it helps my order for X90D was confirmed 7th Dec. VIN issued 9th Dec. Estimated delivery showing up as Feb- early March in myTesla so l believe you still may have time. Either way tesla stated 31st Dec is the cut off to order to receive supercharging so regardless you still have 2+ weeks.....

Did you push your delivery date out, or did you ask for soonest available?

I confirmed on 11/29 but asked for Feb delivery. I don't have a VIN yet, but I've been looking at that as a good thing because it means I'll likely get a 2017 VIN. But it seems like you ordered after me and already have a VIN and later delivery.

Very confusing.

Hi all,

Thanks.
Simple. Make it a condition of your order if you really want the free supercharger use. Get it in writing.

This got me thinking about the difference between placing an order and and finalizing an order. Probably don't want to order one on your phone during a new years eve party. ;)

Reactions: chrisnavline54
Did you push your delivery date out, or did you ask for soonest available?

I confirmed on 11/29 but asked for Feb delivery. I don't have a VIN yet, but I've been looking at that as a good thing because it means I'll likely get a 2017 VIN. But it seems like you ordered after me and already have a VIN and later delivery.

Very confusing.
@PedanticOne My X90D order was confirmed the same day as yours and I also requested February delivery! Basically the same options just different colors :). Since one of my first orders of business with the new X will be a family road trip to California, maybe our cars can meet :).

On a side note, the Model X I borrowed for 2 days from Tesla here was their showroom demo for a while before going out on test drives. It was MC Red with tan interior - only 4,800km (3,000mi) and the tan looked pretty beat up! The seat was wrinkled/creased. Hopefully that was an early production version and your tan holds up better.

While it will be free - it will not be "free locally" and so just keep this in mind:
Tesla will start cracking down on Supercharger abuse, says CEO Elon Musk
Just so everyone knows, that's pure speculation re: local supercharging being outlawed. The tweet related to people who inappropriately park at superchargers, not people who charge locally. Elon wants to take measures against people who charge and then leave their car there for an extended time, blocking access. It's possible Tesla will also do something re: local supercharging as part of an overall reform but there's been no indication or even a hint of this happening yet (but of course bonaire presents this as an absolute fact even though it's not yet even a rumor).

@PedanticOne My X90D order was confirmed the same day as yours and I also requested February delivery! Basically the same options just different colors :). Since one of my first orders of business with the new X will be a family road trip to California, maybe our cars can meet :).

On a side note, the Model X I borrowed for 2 days from Tesla here was their showroom demo for a while before going out on test drives. It was MC Red with tan interior - only 4,800km (3,000mi) and the tan looked pretty beat up! The seat was wrinkled/creased. Hopefully that was an early production version and your tan holds up better.

Interesting. Yeah, I've seen a lot of other cars (MS) with tan interiors that do seem to have held up well, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I had a lot of trouble deciding between black and tan. Finally decided on tan for the contrast. Virtually all of my cars have had black interiors so it was also time for something different.

Since you seem to share my timeline, did you get a VIN yet or are you waiting like I am (which I consider a good sign for a 2017)?

Just so everyone knows, that's pure speculation re: local supercharging being outlawed. The tweet related to people who inappropriately park at superchargers, not people who charge locally. Elon wants to take measures against people who charge and then leave their car there for an extended time, blocking access. It's possible Tesla will also do something re: local supercharging as part of an overall reform but there's been no indication or even a hint of this happening yet (but of course bonaire presents this as an absolute fact even though it's not yet even a rumor).

Goes back to 2015 with:
Charged EVs | Tesla Superchargers may be too popular for their own good
Tesla Letter To “Frequent” Supercharger Users Ruffles Feathers & Raises Several Questions
Tesla Sends Out Supercharger Abuse Emails - Model S Owners Not Impressed
Tesla will open up its Supercharger patents to boost electric car adoption

back in 2012, "Tesla says that Superchargers are not for home charging or every day use, but for refueling on road trips."
Rare Elon Musk Tweet About Tesla Supercharger Event...and Alien Spaceships!

So you have speculation going back to 2012, impressive. To me, it's still quite irresponsible to make a declarative statement that the end of free supercharging means local supercharging is ending as well. Why not say "I think" or "signs point to" or something? You may end up being right but that would mean a prediction came true - not that an official policy suddenly became operational.

You have a history of similar definitive statements all over this website (all of them slanted negatively and the vast majority of which are 100% wrong) and it's tiresome to correct this misinformation every time I see it.

Reactions: TMSE
So you have speculation going back to 2012, impressive. To me, it's still quite irresponsible to make a declarative statement that the end of free supercharging means local supercharging is ending as well. Why not say "I think" or "signs point to" or something? You may end up being right but that would mean a prediction came true - not that an official policy suddenly became operational.

You have a history of similar definitive statements all over this website (all of them slanted negatively and the vast majority of which are 100% wrong) and it's tiresome to correct this misinformation every time I see it.

Just review the history of speculation within Battery Swap. Grandfathering all historical buyers into "no questions" categories should be done but when it one year "free fuel for life" and the next year "people are abusing superchargers" and I did point out that Tesla stated that Superchargers were for long distance travel -- and they seem to have said it in 2012 before sales ramp occurred should have been far more "concrete" in the eyes of buyers. Having anyone suffer loss of local, unlimited, supercharging is unclear and unfair "sales practices". I am on the side of existing owners - saying "you claimed free supercharging for life" when the cars were bought initially and that should stand. If I were to buy a 2013 CPO P85 today, that car should come with free no-questions supercharging for life because the initial owner was told that.

What I don't get is that the price per kWh > 400 per year has not been given yet. What holds back the price chart to describe what that cost will be to offer potential customers this clarity?