Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it totaled 22 MYP? Passenger front tire/fender collision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving in Downtown LA sucks, underage and unlicensed driver hit me at night when she was pulling out from an entrance only driveway. Fortunately no one was injured. No airbags deployed.

Moved the car to the median and heard cracking noises but the car did drive onto the flatbed tow truck.

Is this a total loss?

Attachments

• PXL_20230219_043253526.jpg
    PXL_20230219_043253526.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 275
  • PXL_20230219_043245447.jpg
    PXL_20230219_043245447.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 180
Driving in Downtown LA sucks, underage and unlicensed driver hit me at night when she was pulling out from an entrance only driveway. Fortunately no one was injured. No airbags deployed.

Moved the car to the median and heard cracking noises but the car did drive onto the flatbed tow truck.

Is this a total loss?
It is very hard to say from pictures. How many miles are on it? At minimum the door needs to be replaced. The fender possibly needs replaced. Then you obviously have some suspension damage at minimum. Its really hard to say without having a full picture of what is damaged. Of course one could guess something is a total loss if the whole front or rear end is smashed or not a total loss if its just a minor scuff. You obviously have significant damage there. Just what I can see will easily be >$10,000 and that is a complete guess. Could be much higher than that when they tear into it.

If it were my car I would look into a possible diminished value claim as well. Such a new car and if its repaired will have a ding on the history report for accident damage lowering its market value significantly.

Thank goodness nobody was injured.

Service is really bad get ready.
Who's car was this that hit you? I know here in Maryland the insurance follows the car. Even if the driver is underage and unlicensed the owner of the vehicle should be liable unless it was stolen or unauthorized use. If unauthorized use they usually have to be cited for that too (can't just claim it to avoid insurance liability). The other out for the car owner is if the insurance company made them exclude that individual. Otherwise you may have a claim against the owner of the vehicle. Worth checking out.

Not an insurance professional but this is why I always tell people think twice before you let someone borrow your car. They are also borrowing your insurance as well.

Reactions: android04
It is very hard to say from pictures. How many miles are on it? At minimum the door needs to be replaced. The fender possibly needs replaced. Then you obviously have some suspension damage at minimum. Its really hard to say without having a full picture of what is damaged. Of course one could guess something is a total loss if the whole front or rear end is smashed or not a total loss if its just a minor scuff. You obviously have significant damage there. Just what I can see will easily be >$10,000 and that is a complete guess. Could be much higher than that when they tear into it.

If it were my car I would look into a possible diminished value claim as well. Such a new car and if its repaired will have a ding on the history report for accident damage lowering its market value significantly.

Thank goodness nobody was injured.
It has 12.7k miles on it and I didn't take close up pictures of the damage just from far away. And yes, thank you for the advice, I will be looking into a diminished claim of it's not a total loss. My concern is that the frame might be damaged from this other picture I'm attaching.

Attachments

• PXL_20230219_043328913.jpg
    PXL_20230219_043328913.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 140
Who's car was this that hit you? I know here in Maryland the insurance follows the car. Even if the driver is underage and unlicensed the owner of the vehicle should be liable unless it was stolen or unauthorized use. If unauthorized use they usually have to be cited for that too (can't just claim it to avoid insurance liability). The other out for the car owner is if the insurance company made them exclude that individual. Otherwise you may have a claim against the owner of the vehicle. Worth checking out.

Not an insurance professional but this is why I always tell people think twice before you let someone borrow your car. They are also borrowing your insurance as well.

According to the one of the passengers in the other car, it belonged to their mom. But even though the mom showed up, she did not provide insurance, all I got was an ID card from the passenger. The situation was not the friendliest, so I wasn't able to get all their info, just the license plates and the ID of the passenger.

That looks like about 13k in body work and about 13k in suspension work… not saying those prices are justified though
You are spot on $25k total repair cost

If the repair cost is 50% or more total value of the car then you can deny repairs and sell the car to insurance company. They can keep it request entire money

Or have it repaired and take$10k diminished value for resale

Reactions: gaswalla
Thanks for the comparison. Did you go to a Tesla Collision Center? I'm wondering if going to them directly would be any better.

I went through my insurance who suggested a local Tesla certified collision center, which did the job perfectly. XPEL Stealth PPF was also covered by my insurance and was replaced for free on the panel as well.

According to the one of the passengers in the other car, it belonged to their mom. But even though the mom showed up, she did not provide insurance, all I got was an ID card from the passenger. The situation was not the friendliest, so I wasn't able to get all their info, just the license plates and the ID of the passenger.
My only suggestion If you haven’t already is get a police report. Mom may have just showed up but as the owner it is HER issue as the car loaner. She is completely liable now for all costs and rental delays.

Reactions: WyoDude
My only suggestion If you haven’t already is get a police report. Mom may have just showed up but as the owner it is HER issue as the car loaner. She is completely liable now for all costs and rental delays.

Yes! This is the most important part because the police reports are the primary documents used when insurance companies determine fault. If you don’t have a police report, you may have a tough time getting her insurance company to accept responsibility.

Reactions: WyoDude
Cops didn’t make them give you all the info needed?

You are spot on $25k total repair cost

If the repair cost is 50% or more total value of the car then you can deny repairs and sell the car to insurance company. They can keep it request entire money

Or have it repaired and take$10k diminished value for resale
Can you estimate how fast were they going? As long as there isn't major damage, I agree with Saj070. Be prepared for at least a month of repairs.

Curious saj070 - is the 50% value specific to your state from your knowledge?

Reactions: saj070