Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth purchasing a MYP now, even with the old cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've given myself until 17:00 tomorrow to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a Model Y Performance.

Do you guys think their shipped 1.2MP cameras would be a good enough deterrent against the purchase?

For folks with 5.0MP cameras, is it great enough to say, " Wait til the 5.0MP is the standard..."

Thanks for your input

Reactions: James Cole
Rule of thumb advice is to buy a new (or used) car when you need it, for various reasons.

Current Tesla discounts might not last for too long, so this is very tempting,
but still the IRA tax credit should last for ten years I believe, so still plenty of time
to take advantage of it, not like the pevious tax break with the 200k cars limit.

I am considering replacing my current Tesla, but I am infact curious to know first
if Tesla is going to have major updates, such as "Highland Project",
or new platforms (such as compact hatchback or minivan like the VW ID Buzz)
which should be anounced maybe during the next Tesla Master Plan 3 presentation on Mrach 1rst?

The real trigger for me would be to get a major increase of range, because
I cannot travel too far away from major highways and superchargers during weekend trips.

Reactions: Dennisis and ACRei
Upvote 0
I've given myself until 17:00 tomorrow to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a Model Y Performance.

Do you guys think their shipped 1.2MP cameras would be a good enough deterrent against the purchase?

For folks with 5.0MP cameras, is it great enough to say, " Wait til the 5.0MP is the standard..."

Thanks for your input
No one has 5MP cameras so no one can tell you the difference.

M3 changed camera housings sometime around Aug-Sep of 2022. The internet exploded with rumours and FUD that these were new 5MP cameras. No one has been able to see any difference between the cameras in the new housings or old.
The hype got so out of control that people started to imagine they had new cameras on their MYs. To date, I have yet to see anyone post a picture of the new housing on a MY. They are still using the older style housing. But just like M3, even if they did switch to the new housing there still is no proof the camera sensor or angle of view is any different.

What we do know is yes, Tesla is going to switch to new cameras at some point...likely with the HW4 suite which Elon said will come to CT first. So MY getting HW4 and 5MP cameras may not be to end of year at best because CT probably isn't till Q3 at best.

If you are really into FSD then I'd wait. Elon said HW4 would be 600% better than human but HW3 maybe only 300%. So obviously HW4 will have some big advantages despite Elon saying HW3 will be fully capable of FSD. Probably the rumoured HD Radar combined with higher res cameras will make the big difference, not just the cameras. Maybe M3 will get this earlier so we will see what differences there are. We may get some more clues on Mar 1st presentation.

Upvote 0
If you don’t need a car yet, then wait. We needed a car in Dec so we bought a YP. But, I would have gladly waited if we could have. Tesla will always be improving their cars: updating this, switching that, etc. So, there’s never going to be a perfect time to jump in. If you don’t need it, wait until you are happy with what you are buying.

The quality of the cameras on my car seems really good, but I’m sure newer cameras will be a lot better.

• Love
Reactions: DrGriz and ACRei
Upvote 0

Thanks for your input

Weigh the potential price increases whilst waiting for 5.0 vs. 1.2 mp cameras.

With the MYLR cap now at $80k, that could become a pricey wait.

Reactions: WyoDude and ACRei
Upvote 0
Once the battery mineral sourcing requirements for the tax credit are outlined after next month, Teslas may not qualify for the full $7500 anymore. Plus of course Tesla pricing can always fluctuate so they may increase prices yet again.

There’s no saying when the Y gets upgraded hardware. Could be next month, next quarter, next year or longer. If you need the car then get it now. You can always upgrade to a new one later if there are significant changes that improve functionality.

Reactions: ACRei
Upvote 0

And then there is this:​

Senator Manchin aims to close battery loophole around the $7,500 EV tax credit​

Upvote 0
I remember how excited I was to have my '19 Model 3 upgraded to HW3. I'm not really sure what I expected to be different, but I knew the computer was much faster, and I was thinking Autopilot may have behaved itself a bit better with the new hardware.

Nope. Nothing changed. I got the ability to see traffic lights and garbage cans on the display, but that was it. It didn't change a thing in how the car drove, and the $4K upgrade to FSD from EAP bought me almost nothing. I traded the car before FSD beta was released, and I have zero interest in paying for those features again.

I suppose my point is this: How will higher-resolution cameras affect your happiness with the car? If crystal-clear images from the built-in cameras are your thing, then you should probably wait. But most of us have dozens of factors that have a higher priority. From my view, delaying a purchase for a camera upgrade doesn't make much sense.

Upvote 0
Elon said HW4 would be 600% better than human but HW3 maybe only 300%. So obviously HW4 will have some big advantages despite Elon saying HW3 will be fully capable of FSD. Probably the rumoured HD Radar combined with higher res cameras will make the big difference, not just the cameras.
Hard to imagine that AP wouldn’t be better with HW4? Seems like Tesla has admitted that adding radar to Vision would help FSD. Would they not use it in the AP algorithm as well? And if you throw in a HD camera, then the risk of running into barriers and phantom braking should decrease significantly, correct?

Upvote 0
I'd agree with general sentiment on here. Life is traveling in one direction. Technology is ever improving. Today's Teslas are genuinely grin-inducingly brilliant but have downsides (Don't mention USS deletion....). Tomorrow's Teslas will be the same in terms of grins/downsides, next year's Tesla's will be... the same. Buy today's car, enjoy the hell out of the fantastic machine it is and in two, three, four years buy the newest one to replace it. Enjoy this golden age while we have it.

😊

Upvote 0
Rule of thumb advice is to buy a new (or used) car when you need it, for various reasons.

Current Tesla discounts might not last for too long, so this is very tempting,
but still the IRA tax credit should last for ten years I believe, so still plenty of time
to take advantage of it, not like the pevious tax break with the 200k cars limit.

I am considering replacing my current Tesla, but I am infact curious to know first
if Tesla is going to have major updates, such as "Highland Project",
or new platforms (such as compact hatchback or minivan like the VW ID Buzz)
which should be anounced maybe during the next Tesla Master Plan 3 presentation on Mrach 1rst?

The real trigger for me would be to get a major increase of range, because
I cannot travel too far away from major highways and superchargers during weekend trips.
For sure, the range would be great. Especially since we keep the battery around 80%, or 240ish miles.

The car's got a bit cheaper with the 7500 FTC, but is it really enough to upgrade rn? Or gamble on better changes after Investor Day?

Upvote 0

And then there is this:​

Senator Manchin aims to close battery loophole around the $7,500 EV tax credit​

Wonder if they can enforce that retroactive, Jan 1 ruling. It wouldn't be fair for the folks who've already taken delivery.

Upvote 0