Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth purchasing a MYP now, even with the old cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've given myself until 17:00 tomorrow to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a Model Y Performance.

Do you guys think their shipped 1.2MP cameras would be a good enough deterrent against the purchase?

For folks with 5.0MP cameras, is it great enough to say, " Wait til the 5.0MP is the standard..."

Thanks for your input

Reactions: James Cole
Lol. They never said they were putting radar back nor did they even acknowledge its use for a car. You certainly have a good imagination for story telling. Especially fiction.
I don’t understand why people who don’t like a vehicle or brand continue to view the forum site of said brand. I don’t like Kias and I’m certainly not going to join a Kia forum. Total waste of my time.

Upvote 1
If you absolutely can't wait, take a look at the Volvo all-electric C40, which is superior to the Model Y in every respect except range (and even that's getting close) and has radar and ultrasound, both of which Tesla isn't putting in right now. The higher-end Kia EV6 models are *really* nice as well.
My wife drives a C40 that I also drive sometimes. It's a nice car (that's why we bought it), but I would have to disagree with it being superior to the MY in every respect except range. I would say the C40 has better build quality (although my MYP is pretty good in this regard too), has slightly better ride, and slightly less NVH. I think by most other measures other than subjective design related stuff, the MY is superior. When driving the C40, I often feel like going from a smartphone to a flip phone. The difference between the Tesla phone app and the Volvo phone app for EV (their ICE app is better than their EV app for some stupid reason) is more like a smartphone and a couple of plastic cups with a string pulled between them.

Upvote 0
Has anyone here actually paid attention to how FSD uses camera data? It uses less resolution than the current cameras provide because excess data unnecessarily bogs down the program. It's the reason only 8 cameras, no lidar, and no radar are used for FSD. It should have happened faster, but the Occupancy Network developed for FSD will be far better than the sensors. Won't it be nice to have curbs in the parking warning? Enjoy the car made today, otherwise you might be waiting years. Just subscribe to FSD if you are afraid that it will require you to trade to get the latest and greatest version in a couple of years.

Higher resolution cameras will be nice for Sentry Mode and other dashcam features.

Reactions: SO16 and James Cole
Upvote 0
I've given myself until 17:00 tomorrow to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a Model Y Performance.

Do you guys think their shipped 1.2MP cameras would be a good enough deterrent against the purchase?

For folks with 5.0MP cameras, is it great enough to say, " Wait til the 5.0MP is the standard..."

Thanks for your input
No one has 5mp cameras yet.

Upvote 0
Get the car. The moment you accept delivery you will forget everything that you knew about cameras. Prices might go up anyway and retrofits for cameras are way more probable than anything else.

Elon has stated no retrofit will be available. I agree though. Buy the vehicle.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Upvote 0
Higher resolution cameras will also use more battery? (Nothing is for free.)
The amount of energy used by electronics, like charging your phone, using cameras or playing music is orders of magnitude less than moving the vehicle itself. This is why a 2-hour-long zoom meeting will result in 0% loss, provided you are not in a cold environment, so that the battery maintenance system does not have to work for optimal temperature.
When you are not moving, checking your phone will wake up the car, which by itself needs much more energy in order to operate a small system boot. Sentry mode is probably the least efficient feature, it consumes much more energy than it should and this is most likely because it was designed after the fact. Tesla realised they have all the sensors they need to implement Sentry mode. But it looks like this was not planned ahead, and now we have to stick with this feature that uses much more resources than it should.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Upvote 0
Yes, I have a CCS1 adapter, which worked fine, but was slow when I was not able to precondition the battery,
I even subscribed for the EA discount plan last summer.

I was thinking to visit Montana and in particular the Glacier National Park on my way to Yellowstone.
But I had to change my plans as I was not able to make reservation in an hotel with a public charger.
Bummer! I’d like to get off the main highways through Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and the Dakotas and Minnesota. If EA ever gets their act together or Tesla buys them out, it might work.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't buy ANY Tesla now.

For one thing, they've told the FCC they're putting radar back in within the next couple of months. That's certainly because "vision only" is a disaster that doesn't work even in light rain based on my radar-disabled Model Y experience. It was really a way to keep selling through the supply-chain pandemic disruption.

For another, they've ripped out ultrasonic near-object and parking sensors...LOL. Ridiculous.

If you absolutely can't wait, take a look at the Volvo all-electric C40, which is superior to the Model Y in every respect except range (and even that's getting close) and has radar and ultrasound, both of which Tesla isn't putting in right now. The higher-end Kia EV6 models are *really* nice as well.
Sounds like another Elon hater.

Upvote 0
My wife is pissed I ordered the car. She says I’m giving money to an awful person. Told her lots of people profit from Tesla not just Elon. I’m a Tesla fan boy not an Elon fan boy but I’m able to separate the two.

You can tell her that his income from Tesla is about $37K/year, so there are a lot of hardworking men and women who build these cars who make more from your purchase.

Elon Musk owns about 13% of Tesla. That means the other 87% of shareholders benefit from the purchase.

Upvote 0