Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is MCU 2 the most important feature when shopping for a used Tesla?

What are most important feature when shopping used Tesla

• MCU-2

• Battery Size

• Performance

• Favorite Color package (Exterior/Interior)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The two most important to me would be MCU2 and range but, as stated before, range is KING!

A buddy just took delivery of his Model 3 Standard Plus on 12/31/2019 (with HW3 and latest MCU) and he's already regretting not paying the extra $8-9k for more range. He travels down to San Francisco often from Sacramento. Technically, he has the range to make the roundtrip without charging, but not the way he drives. After two weeks of ownership he already said, "the next Tesla I get, I'm gonna get the long range version".

Keep in mind, on a used S you may be buying some battery degradation so factor that in. Don't assume an old Model S will net you more range than a new Model Y.

the model S just has a difffent feeling. If you’ve never owned a Tesla. The 3 imo would be fine. Having driven two different performance model s. The 3 felt more like my Toyota than a Tesla to me. I recently test drove a perf model 3. My 4 year old S grips the road better. Has a faster take off and seemlingly sails QUIELTLY down the road. The 3 was very loud inside. No power trunk. And I hated the mcu. It’s a little smaller than the mcu in the s but one third is taken up as the 3’s instrument cluster.

I honestly went in today thinking I’d come out with an order on a 3. Nope. Happily skipped out to my 4 year old model s and drove off.
I felt the same way after test driving a performance 3. Decided to go with a used 2016.5 S for about the same price.

As far as future proofing, MCU2 is definitely the most important. While there's some FOMO associated with not getting new MCU2-only features, you're also less likely to run into bugs with software releases, and it doesn't hurt to have a snappier interface. Also, having MCU2 reduces the chances of your eMMC dying quickly if for no other reason than it's not as old.

I bought a used 2016 MS 75 w/ MCU1/AP1, and in hindsight I should have sprung for a model with MCU2/AP2.5. I couldn't care less about the AP visualizations, but dashcam/sentry mode is a nice plus that can't really be replicated via aftermarket solutions. AP 2.5 (maybe AP2?) is also necessary if you want FSD one day.

As far as the other upgrade permutations, it's all up to what you value most. I wouldn't turn down more range, but I don't go on road trips and charge everyday. So it's not that important. If you REALLY need that rush of acceleration, get a dual motor instead of RWD model. Some things you can easily upgrade later, like lighting. But you can't add more power after the fact (minus the Boost mode shenanigans).

I own an MCU1/AP2 S and an MCU2/AP2.5 X. For all practical purposes, the difference in the MCU1/MCU2 doesn't really matter w.r.t. driving the car. If anything, I really wish the S had AP2.5 so that I'd have sentry/dashcam recording.

My biggest regret has been getting the 75 rather than 100 in the S. Once you step down to any of the 350V batteries, Supercharging speed is slower, and that affects how long stops take while on a road trip (and we road trip alot). The SuC speed used to be 99kW vs. 118W for a larger battery car; now with the across the board increase, it is 114kW vs. 144kW.

So I'd definitely be more focused on getting a larger battery car. Get AP2.5 or the MCU2 if all other things are equal.

• Informative
Reactions: Vjacobs84
Regarding the MCU1 Tesla design flaw. It has been reported in other threads that the official Tesla eMMC repair (as in MCU1 refurb replacement) is now $1300 including labor. The logging that was killing all of our chips is reduced now, but music streaming will still have an impact on the original MCU1 chips. Once my warranty expires in a year, I plan to replace my eMMC chip 3rd party to forget all this with a higher capacity longer lasting solution. It is also reported that with a newer chip the MCU1 responsiveness is greatly improved.

Regarding "luxury", the Model S and X are drastically different to drive and to sit in, than the Model 3. I have not been in a Y so I can't comment on that. It has nothing to do with the heated steering wheel, and the air suspension actually does make a difference. I have that option along with the power lift gate and those things make a difference.

I was going to buy a 3 and I ended up getting a used S because I have a family, I'm tall (6'5"), and the S has tons more storage. TONS. If you are single or married and don't have kids or plan to have kids, keep the Y or get a 3. If not, get an S or an X. A used S costs the same as a new Y or 3.

They're are all great cars, except my battery is currently being replaced and I'm in a loaner, but they are good cars.