Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is model S safe to drive with dead MCU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 model S has been garaged and plugged in for a month. It went into deep sleep (I assume) Upon my return I got the car to slowly boot up systems but the center console isn't coming on. The car will go into gear and out. The dashboard screen seems to be working properly (but nothing dependent on the MCU) works. The glove box door opened but it won't shut. The charging cable disengages and reengages. The dashboard indicates it is charging.

Is the car safe to drive? Thanks.

My 2013 model S has been garaged and plugged in for a month. It went into deep sleep (I assume) Upon my return I got the car to slowly boot up systems but the center console isn't coming on. The car will go into gear and out. The dashboard screen seems to be working properly (but nothing dependent on the MCU) works. The glove box door opened but it won't shut. The charging cable disengages and reengages. The dashboard indicates it is charging.

Is the car safe to drive? Thanks.

you're going to want to read through this. With my car, I couldn't charge and my turn signals didn't work.

Reactions: EV-Fixme
Are you sure the signals themselves didn’t work? I know the clicking noise stops.

Can verify. Signals themselves do not come on. I lost signal noises while my MCU was dying but not black. Once black lost AP, signals themselves and a lot more but brake light works including Regen triggered. No signals must use hand signs like an antique. As I said earlier, a real hassle.

Can verify. Signals themselves do not come on. I lost signal noises while my MCU was dying but not black. Once black lost AP, signals themselves and a lot more but brake light works including Regen triggered. No signals must use hand signs like an antique. As I said earlier, a real hassle.

I guess a rebooting MCU works differently then.

False alarm. The MCU did not die. The car was in deep sleep and while the drive electronics booted up after 3 or 4 minutes, the MCU remained dead for at least 10 minutes, when I got tired of waiting and left. Some time after that I saw the phone app re-established a connection with the car and this morning when I went back out, all was well. Thank you for all your replies.

False alarm. The MCU did not die. The car was in deep sleep and while the drive electronics booted up after 3 or 4 minutes, the MCU remained dead for at least 10 minutes, when I got tired of waiting and left. Some time after that I saw the phone app re-established a connection with the car and this morning when I went back out, all was well. Thank you for all your replies.

Shakespeare got it right then: “All’s well that ends well”. Nice ending!

Possible sign of impending death. That's what happened to mine a few times before it died off.

Reactions: croman
That's just great... I was assuming my turn signals were working. NHTSA really needs to force a recall for this problem.

That's just great... I was assuming my turn signals were working. NHTSA really needs to force a recall for this problem.

Look carefully at your avatar on the IC and you'll see whether blinkers are actually turning on. Obviously you'll hear the initial click when you push the turn signal stalk either direction but nothing further and you can see no turn signal indicators on IC (green blinking arrow) and nothing on car Avatar.

Look carefully at your avatar on the IC and you'll see whether blinkers are actually turning on. Obviously you'll hear the initial click when you push the turn signal stalk either direction but nothing further and you can see no turn signal indicators on IC (green blinking arrow) and nothing on car Avatar.
It was a few months ago so I don't remember exactly. I do remember sometimes it would click and sometime sit wouldn't.... Anyways, still, it's a cause of concern. Glad you guys brought this up for owners who experience this failure in the future.

Time to change the "Model S" badge to "Model T" :p