Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my unicorn dead and what next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 MS 75 with pano and cloth interior, upgraded sound/sub, front Expel, lifetime supercharging and EAP. Was rear ended hard by a dually pickup while in the carpool lane, car was in autopilot following the vehicle in front. My insurance AAA seems unsure on where the car should go to be “repaired”. I told them to see the car then decide, I think it is a total loss. It was a hard hit which broke the drivers seat and the rear passenger door is jammed shut. Car still drives surprisingly, with just a parking assist disabled warning.

If it is totaled, I can’t buy a new similar replacement (at the same price I paid for mine) which is a huge bummer. Glad I still have my old trusty 2000 CNG Camry! May wait 6-12 months to see what Tesla offers next.
78BB5A9F-2D56-4AD9-A121-DE12FEBF0865.jpeg

20FA2FCD-DF62-4E7A-9FFC-569DBF56EE49.jpeg

4E0E2CD4-3245-455F-91CB-F8030CE970B5.jpeg

The other guy:
9FDF1DEA-D5E9-4778-B5B9-5E20F87F93E5.jpeg

Last edited:
2017 MS 75 with pano and cloth interior, upgraded sound/sub, front Expel, lifetime supercharging and EAP.

If they do end up totaling it, which looks likely to me based on damage, time to repair, and DV, make sure you bring up that Tesla was refunding people $5k in exchange for turning off their FUSC on the Model 3 Performance vehicles. (It sets a value for a feature that you likely can't replace.)

So sorry. Contact a Tesla Body Shop. There's one in Pomona. I suspect they'll tell you it's a total loss.

I agree 100%. Our "unicorn" Ludicrous 2015 Model S P85D+ got rear ended slightly last month and Tesla's Body Show in Pomona (Walnut) got it repaired to perfection in a week... and handled the ridiculous low ball estimate from the guy who hit us' insurance company (State Farm). AWESOME experience!

Here's THE GUY to contact:

Josh Enriquez | Collision Repair Estimator
3880 W. Valley Blvd, Pomona, CA 91789
m. (310) 365-0064 | [email protected]

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: alloverx and IdaX
If you don’t mind, this collision is a good look at rear end damage and the rear facing seats.

Do you have rear facing seats?

Either way, can you see how much intrusion there was into the well in the trunk? (Where the kids feet would be)? Is it completely crushed?

Audi e-tron starts around $74K and is eligible for full federal discount. S75D demand should be able to shift to it fairly smoothly. My wife's S75D (also unicorn, solid roof, grey real leather - but all Tesla's are unicorns really) was totaled a year ago and we got another S75D to replace it. Today, we probably would have reserved an e-tron while driving something else in a short term.

Wow, nasty crash there. Glad you are able to speak about it.
And Yes the other EVs are finally starting to come so other options will soon be available in volume.
That said, if you feel safe in the Tesla I might be tempted to get another one for just that reason