Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now the worst time to accept delivery of a Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to put everything in perspective, My Model Y AWD (Long story, but it's the 4680 structural pack build) is scheduled to be delivered in November. Looking at everything going on at the moment, it seems like this could be the worst time to accept delivery of a Model Y for the following reasons:

1. Prices are at all time high and both new and used car demand is weakening very quickly. The idea that Tesla prices only go up is false and most likely will be coming down soon. Used Tesla prices are trending down quickly as we speak.
2. Removal of ultrasonic sensors with a yet to be proven alternative.
3. HW3 is over 3 years old with HW4 likely coming soon. Given that Tesla is betting everything on Camera + AI, HW4 will most likely be a significantly improvement over HW3 over the next 5-10 years if holding the car for a while.
4. Customer Service nightmares seem to become commonplace.
5. Quality control on the Model Y is still hit or miss, I was hopeful that Austin produced model Y's would be much better, but there seems to be a ton of reports of Quality issues out of Austin as well.

For an over $60k car, this seems like it's going to be a major regret at the moment. We do need a second car, but I'm considering something else for now and see what the EV Market is like in a year or so. Just would love other peoples thoughts who own the car and I realize this is going to be a biased audience towards Tesla.

1. everything is high, name one EV that is equal and cheaper.... If you are able to get a tax credit next year I would wait but again lots of variables.
2. no options with tesla going forward unless you purchase used, so your call
3. always something new so wait or buy - tech always gets better.
4. customer service is fine. 1 issue on delivery and they happily fixed. do not believe the hype. 17k miles and zero issues
5. quality is fine. new toyota van had more issues with "panel gaps" and "rattles" than my new tesla

if you can afford it great, if not do not buy but stuff you cannot afford.

Upvote 0
The vast majority of us (Tesla owners) love our cars, find the issues you mention to be minor, and don’t experience any of the horror stories you read about hear. If your fears are based on reading the forums it would be good to remember that the forums are where the unhappy, unlucky, and vocal owners go. A very small percentage of total owners magnified by a small space. Like any product, some owners have a bad experience. Most don’t.

Also, there will always be something new coming. Maybe something better like HW4 …… or maybe something unknown (but not necessarily worse) like Tesla Vision with no ultrasonic sensors (I was annoyed at at the prospect of losing my radar with recent updates but it has turned out to be a non-event). There will never be a “perfect time”.

If you’ve done your research on EVs and want one, get one. They’re still new, so be prepared for some surprises ….. but they will mostly be positive as long as you’ve done your research. Tesla is not the only option ……..HOWEVER …….. if you plan to take road trips, it is. Don’t kid yourself about the non-Tesla charging systems. A road trip without the Supercharger network is a chore (at best).

So ……
1. For a leading edge, high tech car, price isn’t really the key factor in the decision. Good luck getting the “timing” right. If you want it and can afford it, get it.
2. The ultrasonic sensor change is just the latest ….. there will be more …… and there have already been many.
3. There will always be something better coming. The only solution here is to upgrade your car every 2-3 years. Some do that. Some don’t. The ones who don’t …. Don’t mind.
4. Not commonplace out in the real world. Commonplace here on the forums.
5. Yep …… QC’s a little hit/miss. Price you pay for the leading edge. I don’t even notice the flaws in my Y any more. Best car ….. by a very large margin …. I have ever owned (or driven).

Upvote 0
So just to clarify, I can afford it and I won't qualify for the tax rebate. So that specifically isn't a deciding factor. As for the USS Sensors, from my understanding this change has already happened. If you get your car today, it won't have the sensors.

Upvote 0
Just to put everything in perspective, My Model Y AWD (Long story, but it's the 4680 structural pack build) is scheduled to be delivered in November. Looking at everything going on at the moment, it seems like this could be the worst time to accept delivery of a Model Y for the following reasons:

1. Prices are at all time high and both new and used car demand is weakening very quickly. The idea that Tesla prices only go up is false and most likely will be coming down soon. Used Tesla prices are trending down quickly as we speak.
3. HW3 is over 3 years old with HW4 likely coming soon. Given that Tesla is betting everything on Camera + AI, HW4 will most likely be a significantly improvement over HW3 over the next 5-10 years if holding the car for a while.
5. Quality control on the Model Y is still hit or miss, I was hopeful that Austin produced model Y's would be much better, but there seems to be a ton of reports of Quality issues out of Austin as well.

For an over $60k car, this seems like it's going to be a major regret at the moment. We do need a second car, but I'm considering something else for now and see what the EV Market is like in a year or so. Just would love other peoples thoughts who own the car and I realize this is going to be a biased audience towards Tesla.

Bro. You’re buying a laptop on wheels, resale value should be the least of your concerns because next years and the year after that MY will be better than the current one.

Tesla really needs to work on service big time before I buy another one of their products, personally.

Upvote 0
So just to clarify, I can afford it and I won't qualify for the tax rebate. So that specifically isn't a deciding factor. As for the USS Sensors, from my understanding this change has already happened. If you get your car today, it won't have the sensors.
This is not how it works I think. The changes in the factory as of this month. My car is at least 2 months old I believe since the ship from Shanghai takes about 6 weeks to reach Europe. So that's why it wont affect us taking delivery this month. But if you've ordered a little while ago yeah, you're in trouble. I placed my order in april 4th.

Upvote 0
I think your Over compensating on a forum based on some negative often with agenda posters. It’s a great car and as you say your getting a 4680 AWD I see it as unlikely they dialed back the USS on a low volume intro car. Regardless, my car and the experience was the exact Opposite of what was read on a forum.

Reactions: Peteski
Upvote 0
Everything is Impermanent-if you can afford go for it. Few days ago my neighbor's Subaru Forester transmission has to be replaced cost him $6k and yesterday my friend just called me, he's at the Honda dealership getting transmission flush-it's 2 hours & $600+. I switched to EVs since 2016-can't understand why people who can afford will decide to stay in the past.

Upvote 0

Unless you really need a car, this is probably not a good time to buy... The best time to buy something is when nobody wants it.. Telsas are very popular right now.

Unlike Ferrari which builds one car less than market demand, Telsa has set target goals to reach... hence, there will be more variations on price as Tesla tries to move more cars during these economic times. Tesla is no longer a niche car manufacturer - this has advantages and disadvantages. The "disadvantage" is that it must move cars.

Upvote 1

I think all of those are valid concerns. Love my MY; however, there are issues with ride and build quality. You just have to go in knowing what you are in for.

Reactions: Jman841
Upvote 0

Seems you have many doubts. I’d suggest cancel your order & wait for the features you want, example HW 4.0 seems to be important to you. you Need to remember, if all you read is this forum you will see many questions & build quality issues because people come here seeking help. However, people with no issues won’t likely visit a car user forum. tesla model 3 & y sell very well world wide 🤷‍♂️ . That being said, my 2022 model y had some build quality issues which is why I joined this forum (to see how to get it fixxed). tesla sent car to body shop & car came back perfect.

Reactions: Jman841
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the insights. I still have a month before the current delivery window starts so we will see. The issue is, there's not many other options that I would be excited about. I test drove the Volvo C40 and the Kia EV6 this morning. I really did not like the volvo (Felt very small and cramped, tech was lackluster). The EV6 was nice, but I prefer the Model Y over it.

My wife lives the Toyota Sienna and its a great family car, but they literally don't have any.

At this point, I'll probably grab the Model Y in November and next year trade in our current car for a Sienna once things have normalized for Toyota.

Upvote 0
That’s not even close to what that saying means. It means wondering if now is the right time can’t be answered. You can’t do do things in the past, obviously, and no one knows what the future means to decisions made today. If you’re making a decision, now is the only time you have control of. I’ll delete all these posts because I don’t like to upset people over nothing subjects.

I see now. You were saying that the best time to buy a Tesla is today.

Reactions: rhinOC
Upvote 0