Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Octopus Energy falling apart?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the website it says no gas readings since August (I have electricity and gas smart meters):

1638659609807.png

Yet on the latest bill:

1638659668536.png

The energy tracker never goes past this, no matter how many times I hit "DONE":

1638659722880.png

And for the life of me I can't find anywhere that shows me what tariffs are available (I'm on the gas tracker and I suspect it's very expensive). If I go to the main tariffs page where you put in your postcode, it just says "sorry, but prices are too high, you need to stick with your existing provider".

I feel sad that their systems appear to be in such a bad state, because I really love the company.

• Disagree
Reactions: Arran
No electricity companies are encouraging people to switch tariffs at the moment as it would not be in the consumers interest. Even if people have defaulted to the govt cap rate of about 24p per kWh, it will be better value to stay on that than go on to a new tariff that reflects the current price of wholesale electricity (about 35p per kWh).

Octopus keep playing with their app and website to try and find ‘better’ ways to display energy related info. Sometimes the new stuff is a bit flaky, but there’s often a link to the old familiar page too.

I can only find 2 tariff options to switch to on my octopus app, neither of which look attractive!
I don’t get the impression Octopus are struggling from my experience with them, but have no direct knowledge to back that up.

Attachments

• 5568502E-1D98-469B-AF40-16B813A43949.jpeg
    5568502E-1D98-469B-AF40-16B813A43949.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 8CA564C0-D28A-420E-BC5D-62DB100F3424.jpeg
    8CA564C0-D28A-420E-BC5D-62DB100F3424.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 60
I've had the 'no readings' thing on my gas meter for a while now - they seem to have the correct numbers for billing, but not for the '30 minute' readings on the site.

I did enquire, and was told that I had SMETS1 meter and it was in the middle of receiving a software update! The meter had been delivering the 30 minute readings quite happily for 12 months prior to this change.

That was weeks ago, still the same...:rolleyes:

Apologies for the over-the-top title! It just really worries me that basic stuff is no longer working, and for weeks at a time (I've been trying to check my gas usage for weeks). It sort of implies that they've lost engineers, where pretty basic customer-facing stuff is not being monitored and fixed in any reasonable time-frame.

Apologies for the over-the-top title! It just really worries me that basic stuff is no longer working, and for weeks at a time (I've been trying to check my gas usage for weeks). It sort of implies that they've lost engineers, where pretty basic customer-facing stuff is not being monitored and fixed in any reasonable time-frame.

I suppose their ratio of engineers plus customer service staff to customers will certainly have changed since they've been instantly landed with thousands of new customers from other companies that have recently gone down the tubes.

I suppose their ratio of engineers plus customer service staff to customers will certainly have changed since they've been instantly landed with thousands of new customers from other companies that have recently gone down the tubes.
Yeah but the website should continue to offer its basic functionality regardless of number of customers! Maybe all the engineers are trying to integrate systems from companies they've had to take over, but still...

Reactions: Adopado
From the menu, go to My Account > then scroll down to either Electricity or Gas and click on "Explore my usage" - The next page will be where you see the message about Gas consumption not being available.

I have enquired about this but they said I do have gas consumption (as I have a smart meter), and that they were sorting that page out.

Workaround is to go to the bottom of the page where it will direct you to the "old consumption dashboard":
1638794822734.png

From the menu, go to My Account > then scroll down to either Electricity or Gas and click on "Explore my usage" - The next page will be where you see the message about Gas consumption not being available.

I have enquired about this but they said I do have gas consumption (as I have a smart meter), and that they were sorting that page out.

Workaround is to go to the bottom of the page where it will direct you to the "old consumption dashboard":
View attachment 741145
The old dashboard shows data from early August:

1638795517330.png