Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is radar used in cars that have it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Radar was disabled more than a year ago in favor of Tesla vision. There were a lot of phantom breaking issues with radar and Tesla decided they did not want to invest in improving radar, so they focused their resource on vision.

Correct - the radar is no longer used on current builds. Tesla is even going so far as to physically disable the radar as a no-cost add-on to service visits as they occur - at least on 2021+ Model S/X vehicles. Not sure about 3/Y, or older S/X's. Seems like an odd waist of service time to me, but maybe it draws enough energy even when not being used they felt it was worthwhile.

• Informative
Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Correct - the radar is no longer used on current builds. Tesla is even going so far as to physically disable the radar as a no-cost add-on to service visits as they occur - at least on 2021+ Model S/X vehicles. Not sure about 3/Y, or older S/X's. Seems like an odd waist of service time to me, but maybe it draws enough energy even when not being used they felt it was worthwhile.
Radar was disabled on my 2020 MS

Is this true for, say, hw3 cars not running FSD (e.g. base AP or EAP)? What about cars with hw2 or hw2.5?
You can find out if the RADAR is used (is your Tesla with RADAR?) by watching the environment rendering in the screen.
If RADAR is used - you can see an image of a "2nd car" immediately in front of the one ahead of yours in the same lane.
The theory is that, if the RADAR is used, it will detect the car ahead of the one in front of yours (in the same lane) and will render that car's image in the screen. If RADAR is not used, there will be no "2nd car" rendered because it is visually blocked by the car right in front of yours. 🥴
Care to find out?

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD