Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla model S good for 5 people including 3 kids?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're considering getting a Tesla model S 2014 85 rear wheel drive, and there are 3 kids in our family, age 8-14. I'm wondering if the 3 back seats would be big enough for one car seat and two more kids. Will it be wide enough for the kids to reach the seat belts? And will there be enough space for all of them? Also, how wide is the back seat? Thanks for your help!

We're considering getting a Tesla model S 2014 85 rear wheel drive, and there are 3 kids in our family, age 8-14. I'm wondering if the 3 back seats would be big enough for one car seat and two more kids. Will it be wide enough for the kids to reach the seat belts? And will there be enough space for all of them? Also, how wide is the back seat? Thanks for your help!

It can be done, but space will be tight and your eldest will be uncomfortable. Three kids in the backseat without the additional bulk of a carseat is a better scenario for long trips.

Reactions: KalJoMoS

FWIW, the rear-facing seats may be worth looking at for your 8 year old depending on how tall he/she is if the Tesla you are looking at is equipped with that option. My daughter (10 - around 4'9") still sits back there and enjoys her own space on trips.

It is, if your smallest is seated in the centre and the child seat is the thinner model. There is quite thigh space for the seatbelt buckle on the right passenger side as both middle and this right side rear seatbelts do buckle in between these seats. If only booster seat is used for the smallest one then no issues. You need to figure out whether your seats fits there and how comfortable it is for the child to buckle up. Our smallest one was around nine when we got our Model S and the booster seat worked fine, but very soon this additional seat was rejected.

I put seat belt extenders on all three rear seats in my 2015 Model S. That was the only way we got manage to get three adults in there, or child seats or booster seats. Even people of "generous girth" (shall we say) need seat belt extenders -- the seat widths are just too tight for many people.

I should say we do have a minivan where my family of 6 easily fit into. My wife drives it all the time and of course if we are going somewhere as a family the minivan is the vehicle of choice.

'15 with 4 kids. I have fit 3 wide in the rear seat including a full car seat for my 4yo but my kids are still somewhat small. They fit fine each using their own seat belts and all. Not sure they would tolerate it for longer trips though. I have the car seat behind the driver (convenience for me) so the middle spot is not that comfy as a result but still doable.

I should add my car has the rear facing jump seats but my 12 & 14 yo have outgrown it. My 8yo doesn't like it like she used to. My 4yo still loves it but she can't quite buckle herself in and out yet so I don't really like her in that spot unless the 8yo is with her.

Should also mention the rear seat is a 33/33/33 split - so I would think without a car seat to deal with that it would be more comfortable compared to other cars that have the 40/20/40 split.

Last edited:
I'd recommend getting the rear facing seats for the trunk for the small kid so the other 2 have room in the backseat.

I have put 3 adults in the back of my car and its a bit snug but they all fit just fine. it was only a 3 hour trip so it wasn't very long but perhaps on a longer trip it would be uncomfortable but maybe just take additional charging stops instead of skipping every other one along the route so there is more time to strech out.

Width is not going to be a problem I think. MS is very wide but also very low. Depends on how tall your 14 years old is, height could be a problem. My niece, who is just under 6', when she sits in the back of the MS, her head could almost touch the top. Normally when she sits in our M3 or MX, she got more headroom. The MS was a loaner car from Tesla.

3 kids will fit in the back seat just fine, like any other full size sedan.

I can hear "he touched me" already.

Which was why we got a minivan when we had 3 kids.
I only have 1 kid but my brother has 3. They had been getting minivan or 7 passengers (3 rows) SUVs in the last 15 years. The kids are now all over 16 and they still can't sit next to each others.