Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla only good for local driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
25% is nothing to worry about. I would recommend 10% left. It will make you pucker the first few times, but once you trust it, the charging rate is faster, so less time at the supercharger.
Agreed. Plus you can use the Trip Energy Consumption graph to show you how you are doing versus the original prediction so you know if you are on track to make it.

Now if you are worried about having some extra charge at your arrival because you intend to drive around, or you don't have charging at your destination, then you should use a tool like abetterrouteplanner.com and it's waypoint ability to add additional legs (or round trip) to your route so you will arrive at your destination with the right amount of charge to make it to your first stop on the return trip.

+1 for ABRP's ability to fine tune charge levels and locations. The Tesla is decent, ABRP is far more configurable. Oh, and smarter. The Tesla wasted over half an hour for me telling me to go to a charger way off the main road, where traffic was ludicrous and getting back on the highway was a major pain. I'll never trust it again without first confirming in ABRP.

My road trips so far have been a few times doing 180-200 miles round trip, and one doing 800 round trip. Predictions on range in the car have been within 1% all the time.

In all seriousness, there obviously lots of holes to fill, but Tesla is continuing to fill them. In some places they're mainly increasing density and charging speed (v3 over v2) along Interstates, but in others they're focusing more on locations on US Numbered Highways.

And the good thing about Tesla's approach is that when they do add Superchargers, even in less busy areas, they don't do it by halves, and if the local grid can support it, Tesla adds 8 v3 stalls and with 2 cabinets to provide greater protection against equipment failures, ICEing or a busier period.

For example, Tesla recently opened an 8-stall v3 in Farmington, ME that helps to fill along US-2E, as well as state highways ME-4 and ME-27 that improve access to mountain* recreation areas and a route to Canada. The same location has 2 Chargepoint CCS/CHAdeMO chargers and they are only 62.5kW.

It all just takes time. Might need 5,000 "coverage" locations to have a dense network with 40 mile spacing in the contiguous states.

Plus, the good thing about driving minor roads is that the lower speeds increase range, so even if you have to divert to a charger, which significantly ups the miles:charge ratio.

EVs are long trip vehicles. It's just that the set of long trips is incomplete but growing.

* Yeah, yeah, we know.
Where Tesla doesn't yet have coverage the states are looking to provide coverage. For example in Maine the Elsworth/Mt Desert Island is an example location without a supercharger. Once this is live, we will be able to use CHAdeMO adapters:

Other states are also stepping in and filling in the gaps.

Unfortunately, if you are re-charging at a Supercharger, to continue a trip, you in many cases are only allowed a half hour charge (approximately 100 mi), so "everyone" has the opportunity to re-charge. Therefore, every 100 miles you have to find another Supercharger.
I’m still scratching my head at this one. Even if there was (there isn’t) a time limitation on charging, people just unplug and replug to get more electricity.

If Superchargers aren’t existent in an area you’re going to, get the CHAdeMO or Setec CCS adapter (which some people do) and you’re more than covered for fast charging needs.

I am a first time Tesla owner. I did a 750 mile road trip in northern AZ and southern UT a week after I took delivery. No trouble with superchargers or range anxiety as we planned most of the trip in advance. The hotel I stayed at in Glen Canyon had 2 brand new Tesla Destination chargers. Didn't even need the SC up the street. Yes, it takes a bit of planning as SCs are not as ubiquitous as gas stations, and maybe that spontaneous side trip is not doable without an additional unplanned charge stop. I am planning a cross country trip to Jacksonville and Myrtle Beach in September. I am more concerned with mechanical issues with the car rather than charge locations as we do lot's of non stop long runs on that trip. i have done it many times with several ICE cars and the number of charge stops is pretty much the same as fuel stops with our ICE vehicles on pervious crossings.

25% is nothing to worry about. I would recommend 10% left. It will make you pucker the first few times, but once you trust it, the charging rate is faster, so less time at the supercharger.
My wife and I are getting more comfortable stretching the range than early on. Have run down to the mid-20s on our recent trip. I would push further but my wife gets nervous at 30%. Our first trip she got nervous at 50% so we are making progress.

This isn't even good trolling.

TMC needs to add this emoji to our reaction choices.
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 6.27.42 PM.png

Is this a post for 2013?
My thoughts exactly.

For those that don't know, a 2013 New York Post author wrote a story about how he took a Model S on a road trip and had to turn down the heat during the winter, slow to a crawl/limp, and eventually ran out of juice before reaching a supercharger and had to be towed.

In reality the author was speeding, rolled down the windows in the cold, turned up the heat, and when he arrived at the super charger circled the lot for so long that he gave up and charged. He never ran out of juice, it was just a fictional story.

As is this post, that's not FUD, it was out right lies.

The only saving grace here is we've gone from anit-EV articles to lies promoting alternative charging infrastructure. That's pretty amazing and indicates we've hit a tipping point.

Mods should lock this thread as the author is clearly not only spreading FUD, but false information.

For me, where I live, it depends on where exactly I'm going as to whether it'll be viable in the Tesla. 850km to Grandad's place? Easy - it's along the main highway, plenty of Tesla and 3rd party DC fast charge options. Camping in some of our favourite spots - much tricker, usually involving an overnight stop near the destination, charging on a caravan site's 15A socket (i.e. at 3kW). Sometimes the latter means we just take the ICE vehicle as it makes a quick weekend away tricky.

Reactions: ZilWin
Sorry, not a claim, it is fact in my case. And yes, the wife and I share driving duties and stop for the night half way. I have done this 4 times, so I know it to be fact, but believe what you want. I was just expressing my experiences. Did I enjoy the Tesla long distance driving experience, yes. Would I do it again, maybe. Was the Ice more time efficient, yes, not a doubt in my mind.
I didn't mean to imply you were wrong or lying, just that your experience doesn't match mine. I've driven my Model 3 on several road trips, and it hasn't slowed me down vs. driving a gas car. I timed stops and driving time on a couple of trips prior to buying my Model 3, and I can track them after the fact via TeslaFi, and when I compare the two, there's no difference. Also, my on-road experience is that, when I stop, it's to both charge and do something else, and I don't need to wait for the car to charge after I'm done doing what I need to do. (On my very first road trip, I was over-cautious and stopped a couple of times when I didn't need to, but I've not done that more recently.)

Same here, before buying the Tesla I did a trip from Phoenix to L.A. in my ICE vehicle but using Tesla route planning, getting gas where it told me to charge. There was no change in time. By the time I fuel (and keep in mind, it's pretty irresponsible as well as illegal to leave the pump running), then go pee and get a drink and/or food, I've spent as long as charging. Plug in charger, leave. There's no issue with leaving them plugged in unattended.

Ok, I'll probably be criticized for not disagreeing with the post, but I somewhat agree with him. I have a 2021 MY I got in June so new owner. I love the car, around town and on the highway it drives great. I love how it's full of electrons each morning so no gas stops. However, for trips for me a least is not as great. I have taken only 1 short trip- Indianapolis to Cincinnati 240 miles round trip plus 10 miles round trip to lunch. I felt it necessary to go to a supercharger for a short time so range not all that good. I had researched so I know where one was located. What many of you sometimes miss because you are EV enthusiasts, which isn't a negative thing I'm becoming one, is people never had to plan their trips around chargers. You just took off for a destination and knew gas stations could be had anywhere. I don't mind charging more often as at my age I need to stop and get out often, but when I go on vacation I want it to be about enjoying the trip and not how to route so the car can get to the next stop and do I have all the adapters to charge at different chargers. Can you take a long trip in a EV, sure you can. Is it easy, fun and unstressful - depends on your tolerance.

I never do trips without planning gas stops. Maybe that's the difference. Not hard-coded, but at least knowing a general plan. And out here in the West, you could easily find yourself 80 miles from the next fuel, so you can't just assume anything. So nothing changed for me, particularly because the car simply shows my planned stops as soon as I start the trip. Zero effort. Just look at the map that you'd be using anyway.

Now, with Tesla's recent decision to make Superchargers available to the general EV public, you have the added inconvenience of a potential queued line. I consider this decision a slap in the face.
Wouldn't you rather have lots and lots of superchargers around, even if non-Tesla cars can use them? Tesla is obviously going to make more and more superchargers. Charging other cars to charge will make billions, which funds the superchargers.
It is difficult to justify lots more chargers when so many are unused. In three years, I have never had to wait to supercharge, although one time all the stalls were full when I came back.

Reactions: GSP
Love this string and thanks to all who provided input. I have a 2021 Model X and am traveling from Ohio to Vermont next week. According to my trip navigation, it looks like it's routing me to my final destination with only 25% battery level. I downloaded the app for EVgo and PlugShare and found a couple chargers nearer my destination....though I have no experience with these. So I have to research before I leave.....though they do indicate $.35/kwh.....but last month I was charged $8 at a Super Charger, so still less then gas. Thanks all.
My solution for when I want to reach destination with a near full charge, is to plan the journey, see the supercharger that is closest to the end destination but still is on the way, and reset the route to that one.

Reactions: kayak1
My wife and I are getting more comfortable stretching the range than early on. Have run down to the mid-20s on our recent trip. I would push further but my wife gets nervous at 30%. Our first trip she got nervous at 50% so we are making progress.
Range anxiety takes some time to get over. Make sure you use Range Mode for long highway trips. I suggest changing to show miles to empty, not percentage. 22% is difficult to understand, 68 miles is easier.

I don't get nervous until it is under 20 miles to go.

We will be coming home from an overnight trip at 11% tomorrow. She was already asking about charging on the way. She's logical, but I think electricity is still a slight mystery to her. I've been around it all my life and can calculate any energy equations in my head.

Also charging to 100% for the first time right now.

I've had the display showing 3 miles left. I wanted to keep going.

just finished a long trip so cal to Crater lake and back - it was fun with the 2016 S. And the newer ones have the magnetic motors with better efficiency and range. I've done moab utah too from so cal without any issues.

1)Supercharge and take a restaurant break (take out or eat in) or bathroom break right at supercharger points.
2)FInd a hotel with destination charging (tesla or j1772)
3)Newer tesla's have better range and faster charging (find 250kw superchargers - those stations are much faster even for 150kw older cars I found)
4)ALWAYS use the car's navi - it'll give you a really accurate range calculation - drive to next charging stop with 10-15% range left (if doing a round trip swipe down to find round trip estimate). Use regen braking and range mode (if so equipped)

Ok, I'll probably be criticized for not disagreeing with the post, but I somewhat agree with him. I have a 2021 MY I got in June so new owner. I love the car, around town and on the highway it drives great. I love how it's full of electrons each morning so no gas stops. However, for trips for me a least is not as great. I have taken only 1 short trip- Indianapolis to Cincinnati 240 miles round trip plus 10 miles round trip to lunch. I felt it necessary to go to a supercharger for a short time so range not all that good. I had researched so I know where one was located. What many of you sometimes miss because you are EV enthusiasts, which isn't a negative thing I'm becoming one, is people never had to plan their trips around chargers. You just took off for a destination and knew gas stations could be had anywhere. I don't mind charging more often as at my age I need to stop and get out often, but when I go on vacation I want it to be about enjoying the trip and not how to route so the car can get to the next stop and do I have all the adapters to charge at different chargers. Can you take a long trip in a EV, sure you can. Is it easy, fun and unstressful - depends on your tolerance.
This isn't meant to be critical, but hopefully helpful.

All you really need to do is use the car's nav system to enter your destination (which is as easy as tapping the right scroll wheel and saying "Drive to <X>"). The car will do the rest for you. You don't need to plan or anything. If it decides it needs to stop at a charger, it will tell you which one and for how long. I actually find that less of a burden than with gas, where the strategy is more about waiting until you're down to 1/4 tank and then hoping that you can spot a convenient gas station, of a brand you trust, at an upcoming exit. With the Tesla, there is no mystery.

Yes, if you take the time to plan your trip in advance (using ABRP) you can probably get a more ideal plan. But if this is too onerous for people, you don't actually need to do that. But at a minimum you should at least always use the in-car nav whenever you are traveling near or beyond the range of your car.