Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla reintroducting 85 kWh variants?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Subscribed.

2f9.jpg.gif

@apacheguy - I stopped at the Rancho Cucamonga supercharger on my way to Big Bear Lake Thurs evening. This charge schedule is after I switched to an unpaired charger. I did see a peak of 110 kW when I first plugged in. After leaving the SC @90% SOC, I made it to Big Bear Lake with 52%, then yesterday I left with 50% and drove 90 miles to my house arriving with 30% (downhill all the way). Hope this is useful.

View attachment 236011

Doing a basic kWh/mile calculation with information on tesla.com, a S100D does 335 miles, a S75D does 259 miles. So that is 15.2 more miles per 5 kWh. So a S85D, should go 289.4 miles. I'm assuming Tesla is trying to avoid any overlap in range with the coming Model 3. Have to assume that the 370D, or 375D, whichever they offer, will do more than the 259 miles that the S75D can do. Question now is, will it still do more than the S85D. I also understand there are different weight factors that go into the two different cars and now more weight for the extra software locked 85 kWh battery, just ball-parking here.

Doing a basic kWh/mile calculation with information on tesla.com, a S100D does 335 miles, a S75D does 259 miles. So that is 15.2 more miles per 5 kWh. So a S85D, should go 289.4 miles. I'm assuming Tesla is trying to avoid any overlap in range with the coming Model 3. Have to assume that the 370D, or 375D, whichever they offer, will do more than the 259 miles that the S75D can do. Question now is, will it still do more than the S85D. I also understand there are different weight factors that go into the two different cars and now more weight for the extra software locked 85 kWh battery, just ball-parking here.
Unless the first generation of EV 2170's are a bit of a let down compared to latest 18650's in terms of charging and discharging speeds, soon such an S85D could get the newer cell, even fewer modules made up for 2170's, and get similar weight to the recent 75's.
From all the talk of 2170's by the Tesla head hunchos, it's hard to imagine why a first generation S/X 2170 pack would offer less than 120kWh for ~392 miles. Getting it over 400 would be psychologically important of course. With such a big pack the biggest disappointment of larger cells (slower charging possbily) would be overcome by the shear capacity in play.